01-04-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
Hi all, after a recent period of relative restraint I will be looking to buy a high end shaving cream as a once in a blue moon kind of treat. Performance is important as is presentation, basically I want a product that looks and feels luxurious to use, Acqua di parma looks to be a strong contender but I was after some other suggestions also , thanks

0 60
 01-04-2015, 11:43 AM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
A lot of people have been talking about the new formula xpec check out old town shaving co they stock it there. Never tried it though.

23 598
 01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info
Depends what you class as high need. For me many of the artisan soaps are high end. I would try some jabonman soap - very nice. Would also have reccomended fitjar - but she has discontinued the business.

2 69
 01-04-2015, 01:56 PM
User Info
Acqua di Parma fits the ticket for a "high end" presentation. The jar, lid and labeling are elegant. Off the top of my head I can't think of a cream that is as well packaged.

6 230
 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Acqua di Parma for sure.

Jury is still out on new XPEC in my opinion. Two shaves with it and I'm not reminded of the old formula in any respect, except scent and the packaging. Hope that changes.

59 2,825
 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
If your willing to sacrifice presentation for excellent performance try Al's shaving products. His Auguri is the only cream I keep in stock.

147 3,539
 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
If you want a super cream with amazing presentation, look no further then Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet in the Glass Jar. I think the glass jar version is harder to find now, but you may get lucky.

It was the perfect balance between luxury and quality and cost. Once you are done with the tub, buy some tubes of it for $30-35 and fill up the jar.

Penhaligons Shaving Cream with Silver Plated Lid, Blenheim Bouquet
[Image: HR_423-039-01_penhaligons_shavingcream_b...ouquet.jpg]

8 2,718
 01-05-2015, 08:56 PM
User Info
(01-05-2015, 07:59 PM)Bruce Wrote: If you want a super cream with amazing presentation, look no further then Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet in the Glass Jar. I think the glass jar version is harder to find now, but you may get lucky.

It was the perfect balance between luxury and quality and cost. Once you are done with the tub, buy some tubes of it for $30-35 and fill up the jar.

I have the bayolea scent in a wood bowl. the glass looks very nice and upscale. shave is great too

73 1,297
 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
Penhaligon's sure looks great, unfortunately I have not tried it yet.
AdP is perhaps the very best I did try.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

0 155
 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
The I Coloniali Mango in that cool terra cotta pot might be an option. I've never tried it, but I understand it's a croap, closer to the soap end of the spectrum.

8 917
 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
User Info
(01-16-2015, 10:24 AM)apogee Wrote: Penhaligon's sure looks great, unfortunately I have not tried it yet.

Hi there,

I would consider Penhaligons a top tier cream. Can't speak for the soap anymore because it's been changed at least a few times in recent years. The original tallow version was also considered to be excellent, but that I never tried. The first incarnation wasn't well received but it's probably fixed now. No idea how the current soap performs.

The creams truly explode in lather. Extremely easy to whip up thicker and richer than usual great scented wonderfulness to use in my face. Not bad stuff.....

Pens soaps/creams are known for their fragrances, which go with the EdTs. Interesting interpretations, and a classy company that's been around a long time.

Also, the Xpec is worth a shot. There is a place in Italy selling it for a crazy low price and almost everyone has found it really good. I can't comment from experience, sad to say. Seeing as you're in Germany that would work out best.

Martin

1 79
 01-16-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
(01-16-2015, 10:50 AM)dodger Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 10:24 AM)apogee Wrote: Penhaligon's sure looks great, unfortunately I have not tried it yet.

Hi there,

I would consider Penhaligons a top tier cream. Can't speak for the soap anymore because it's been changed at least a few times in recent years. The original tallow version was also considered to be excellent, but that I never tried. The first incarnation wasn't well received but it's probably fixed now. No idea how the current soap performs.

The creams truly explode in lather. Extremely easy to whip up thicker and richer than usual great scented wonderfulness to use in my face. Not bad stuff.....

Pens soaps/creams are known for their fragrances, which go with the EdTs. Interesting interpretations, and a classy company that's been around a long time.

Also, the Xpec is worth a shot. There is a place in Italy selling it for a crazy low price and almost everyone has found it really good. I can't comment from experience, sad to say. Seeing as you're in Germany that would work out best.

Martin

FedEx is actually supposed to be dropping off some Penhaligon's Sartorial soap in the newest formulation sometime today, although it seems to be running late. Once I have my hands on it and give it a go I'll update you. I've read a couple of times that it's gotten a lot better with their most recent changes to the soap formula.

This thread has me curious about their creams, now, though. I just wish I knew the scents! I sent them an email requesting samples but they told me their sample program is currently on a hiatus. Sad

I've been super curious about their Bayolea, Blenheim Bouquet, and Endymion fragrances which were what I inquired about. I'm not going to blind buy them like I did the Sartorial soap, though. Oh well.

EDIT: Soap got here just in time for me to get ready for my night shift at work! It's fairly thirsty but it whipped up into a nice, dense, SUPER slick lather! I didn't need to shave tonight but on my hand the consistency reminded me a lot of some Italian soft soaps I've used in slickness with a slightly different texture. The density is about that of Haslinger Schafmilch I'd say. I think it's going to be a winner, personally!

3 96
 01-17-2015, 12:09 AM
User Info
Castle Forbes should be in the conversation.

Endymion has one of the best scents I've ever had in a soap, it was expensive but worth every penny.

12 1,247
 01-17-2015, 12:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Penhaligon's can be purchased at BullGoose Shaving in the fancy glass jar.

http://shavenook.com/thread-penhaligon-s...se-shaving

I would also suggest giving BAUME.BE Cream a try.

178 23,809
 01-17-2015, 03:36 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
(01-05-2015, 07:59 PM)Bruce Wrote: If you want a super cream with amazing presentation, look no further then Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet in the Glass Jar. I think the glass jar version is harder to find now, but you may get lucky.

The Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet is a fabulous cream, which produces a luxurious slick and thick lather, with a great scent. The Bayolea cream is a totally different type of product. It is a non-lathering shave cream. Not sure what to make of it yet.

4 633
 01-17-2015, 01:39 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
another worthy contender...in both performance & presentation.

[Image: Y71xDRo.jpg]

168 1,387
 01-17-2015, 03:17 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(01-17-2015, 01:39 PM)Steelman Wrote: another worthy contender...in both performance & presentation.

+1 Absolutely the best performing cream next to XPEC.

38 5,113
 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
(01-17-2015, 01:39 PM)Steelman Wrote: another worthy contender...in both performance & presentation.

what is this, sorry my monitor is not much help here.

13 247
 01-17-2015, 03:24 PM
User Info
(01-17-2015, 03:19 PM)Sevenbark Wrote:

what is this, sorry my monitor is not much help here.

That is Antica Barbieria Colla

147 3,539
 01-17-2015, 10:34 PM
User Info
Another vote here for CF

3 254