01-05-2015, 04:22 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I was wondering if any of you have recently (ie, in 2014) modified your technique (or hardware) in any manner that noticeably improved your shave. I'm just curious what you may have come up with.

For me it was the addition to my prepping of handlathering with a shavestick and rinsing with hot water, twice . The result was clear for me in that my B-level blades seemed more effective, and generally I felt less pull and had much fewer nicks. Of course, it is possible that my prepping was not at all sufficient prior to this change, but I believe I did all the right steps that most do (except no preshave oils).

Anyway, how's about youse guys?

1 795
 01-05-2015, 06:22 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
For me, the best thing was discovering "Kyle's Method" for preparation.

Hot shower
Wash beard well
Rinse
Lather up
Steam under a hot towel for three minutes

The difference was as much as changing to DE from cartridges. Blades last longer, no irritation at all, no tugging, just a very clean BBS every time. My face and beard have never been in better condition. It feels like my beard is almost falling off each time. Although I'm working through blades again, Astra SP's went from four shaves per blade to ten plus.

The other major factor was discovering SE. I only have an Ever Ready 1912 but I'm totally smitten by it.

0 246
 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I changed from 52 years of shaving with a DE to shaving with straights. With proper technique, there isn't a better shave.

38 5,113
 01-05-2015, 07:37 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Hardware wise, all of my tweaks for 2014 have been to fine-tune my straight razor technique. Looking back at my shaving journal, my lather preference has evolved towards a creamier, more yogurt-like lather. A big chunk of 2014 was spent learning to create that type of lather with every soap in my den; from soft to hard, melt 'n pours, Wool Fat, William's Mug, the whole den. Oh, and I discovered Barrister & Mann......

0 272
 01-05-2015, 07:45 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Mongoose.

102 18,652
 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
I purchased more soaps! Biggrin

83 21,078
 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
User Info
(01-05-2015, 06:56 AM)evnpar Wrote: I changed from 52 years of shaving with a DE to shaving with straights. With proper technique, there isn't a better shave.

Angry Dodgy Huh Confused Undecided Biggrin

no! don't say that!

7 1,624
 01-05-2015, 09:44 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I shave with all types of razors, so there's always something I can refine.
The most recent is in regards to the straight. I spent a ton of time learning to get ATG on my chin, perfectly and consistently. Once I did, I found I get a smoother shave with two downward passes and an XTG pass on my chin.
Also, I cut my straight shave from three passes to two and a touch up under the neck and chin.

2 1,683
 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM
User Info
I recently finish up, after other passes, with a tad of lather to the left and right sides of my chin, then stretch the skin and shave horizontally along the jaw line. I was never able to get that area clean before doing this. Cheers!

0 35