01-05-2015, 11:39 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
We travel a lot, and for years I carried a tube of brushless shave cream with me when we went on the road, where I continued to shave daily. Synthetic brushes came of age in 2014, and this past spring, I bought a Mühle STF v2 brush, which for the first time made it practical for me to travel with a brush; since then, the tube of brushless shaving cream has sat, lonely and pretty much ignored, on the shelf in the bathroom. (I have gone to it once or twice for a touch-up when I found, after clean-up, that I had missed a small spot in my main shave.)

This morning, on a whim, I decided to re-live the brushles experience. After my shower, and re-wetting my face, I applied a very thin layer of Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream, and then applied the Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Northwoods brushless shaving cream on top of it, and shaved with the Standard Razors DE razor, with a Gillette Silver Blue blade (fifth shave on that blade), in the normal way.

Surprse! I got a super close shave with no irritation whatsoever. In fact the fifth shave on this GSB using the brushless preparation was at least as close and at least as smooth as the first shave on the same blade, in the middle of last week, when I used a brush to whip up Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper for lather -- but with everything else (including the Noxzema prep) the same.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

1 1,110
 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
Don't know about brushless, but I sure like Mike's Orange-Cedarwood-Black Pepper!

12 166
 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
I've seen the Northwoods cream in Whole Foods. I wish I could try a sample some time, since I'm more than amply stocked and don't need to buy a whole tube.

I gather there's a fairly strong menthol sensation?

8 951
 01-05-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
My only experience of a brushless shaving lather since renouncing Gillette foam a few years ago:

I was bought this by my girlfriend's mother for Christmas: http://www.aesop.com/uk/skin-care-1/shav...erum2.html

Tonight I used it for the first time for a quick shave post-workout at the gym. There's only two sinks and little space, so it's a get-out-of-the-way-quickly situation. I can't say a huge amount for it so far. The shave - a rapid, one pass, WTG affair - didn't elicit great results but, on the plus side, it smells lovely and I experienced no irritation.

I won't replace it but it serves a purpose...

0 143
 01-05-2015, 01:28 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-05-2015, 01:16 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: I've seen the Northwoods cream in Whole Foods.
I gather there's a fairly strong menthol sensation?

That may be an understatement: applying it is a bit like turning your head to face into a strong sub-zero wind. Eusa_whistle

1 1,110
 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you want to try a good brushless shave cream, you should try THIS.

179 23,946
 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-05-2015, 01:44 PM)Johnny Wrote: If you want to try a good brushless shave cream, you should try THIS.

At $20.00 for one 100 ml (3.38 fluid ounces) container, i Coloniali is roughly six times as expensive as Aubrey Organics Men's Stock (about $6.50 for a 6 fluid ounce tube, and generally available at local stores, so no shipping charges need be taken into account). I have heard many good things about i Coloniali -- and I take Johnny's review as Gospel -- but I cannot afford to hire professional guards to protect the valuables in my cabinet above the sink. Smile

(01-05-2015, 01:18 PM)Burgundy Wrote: My only experience of a brushless shaving lather since renouncing Gillette foam a few years ago:

I was bought this by my girlfriend's mother for Christmas: http://www.aesop.com/uk/skin-care-1/shav...erum2.html

The ingredient list for the £39.00 for 3.38 fl. oz. Moroccan Neroli Shaving Serum nearly coincides with the ingredient list for the Ecover brand natural dishwashing detergent, which we have used for many years (for washing dishes). The label of the $3.99 for 25 fl. oz. HomeSolv natural hand dishwashing detergent that we have just started to use (Ecover was out of stock on our store's shelf when we last had to purchase) has a similar, though slightly longer, list of ingredients. I may have to experiment with natural dishwashing detergent for shaving some time ... some time not too soon, I think. Winky

1 1,110
 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
The Aubrey Northwood is decent enough for a brushless cream I guess... but it can't compare to proper lather in my opinion. Plenty of glide, fairly moisturising and a pleasant scent, but no cushion at all. Nada. Zip. In that regard it was little different than shaving with just water.

3 4,684
 01-05-2015, 09:16 PM
User Info
Good to hear the cream worked out for you. Smile

83 21,115
 01-05-2015, 11:02 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
My wife was recently out in San Francisco and picked up some Nancy Boy cream in their Hayes Valley store. I remember using it some years ago when it was all the rage over on shavemyface. I had forgotten what a phenomenal cream it is. Wonderful ingredients and post shave skin care properties. I actually prefer using it brushless as originally intended.

Max

42 1,041
 01-06-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
just used nancy boy signature last night. it really still works. lot of menthol for a night shave though.

76 1,331
 01-12-2015, 01:06 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-05-2015, 02:47 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Aubrey Northwood is decent enough for a brushless cream I guess... but no cushion at all. Nada. Zip. In that regard it was little different than shaving with just water.

This must be a YMMV matter. I have always found the Aubrey formulation to be very protective. On my face, it certainly provides more cushion than RazoRock XXX soap, for instance. (But the XXX has a nicer scent.)

1 1,110