01-05-2015, 11:42 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I picked up a NEW long comb a few months ago, and it has quickly become one of my favorite razors. The level of comfort/aggression is near perfect for me with a Pol-Silver installed. It has the large ball end handle, which I find beautiful. It's hollow, and both ends "plug" into the hollow barrel. And of course it has one long crack extending from each end which cause the ball end to fall out one in a while. The funny thing is, the barrel is upside-down. The head end appears to be a different diameter than the ball end, so when I try to turn it around, the head is completely loose, and the ball end is too tight to fit at all.I'm currently searching for a new handle for it just like the one it has. without the cracks. I understand it is sort of rare to find one without the cracks. Here comes the question; Is it worth saving the ends (does anyone make new "barrels")? Or should I just give up and fill the barrel with epoxy and bird-shot and glue the ends on the upside-down cracked barrel and enjoy my razor?

0 272
 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Seeing as how the razor head is the actual tool...mess with the handle just for fun and .or pick up a new one on e-bay or BST...so if the head isn,t needed buy one just for the handle...can be fun to make one with brass tubing and just use the parts that are not cracked or split.

6 2,028
 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
Depending on how bad the crack is you can fix by the following. I read this on another site and it worked on mine. I have yet to obtain one with no cracks and the ones I've seen are pricey. I managed to find one with very slight cracking. Here's what you do.

1. Remove the ball and head end.
2. Clean the tube real well as well as the plug ends.
3. Get some aluminum tubing the size of the I.D. of the handle. Cut a section that will fit in the handle but still allow the ends to push back in and sit properly.
4. Use marine epoxy and coat the inside of the handle, slide the aluminum in, then replace ball and head end. Use a clamp(s) to keep the handle closed together so there are no gaps in the crack(s).
5. Any epoxy that oozes out can be wiped up with rubbing alcohol. Allow to set a good 24 hours before use.
6. Enjoy your razor!

147 3,539
 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
User Info
You could always get one of the razor-handle artisans to make you a new handle! They are doing beautiful work! Thumbup

83 21,081