06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
User Info
One of the modes I'm currently in is acquiring and testing the really old Gillette DE razors. I recently tested a New long comb with a terrible handle, but handles are easy to come by as long as one doesn't mind a Frankenrazor. Tech handles fit them just fine. The New LC head is a fine shaver, just aggressive enough for a great shave, but not too aggressive. The Tech head is a mild shaver and IMO just far too mild.

So the trade was pretty obvious, take the Tech head out of the travel kit and put in the New. They are pretty much the same size, so the fit is perfect.

I don't travel often, but when I do (car mostly) I want a great blade shave.

The set started out this way. It was in a pretty sorry state.
[Image: DSC03274small.jpg]
[Image: DSC03281.jpg]

And it turned out this way.
[Image: DSC03286.jpg]
[Image: DSC03285.jpg]

With the NewLC head in place.
[Image: DSC03651.jpg]

The plastic material was a piece of some Delrin sheet I have, cut out with a Dado head for a perfect fit. The walls have enough meat left to support the case. Wood or aluminum could also have been used, but I had the Delrin so...

If I had used aluminum I wouldn't have used a dado head, I'd have used the saw blade alone and nibbled it away. I'd also want a soft material between the aluminum and the razor parts.

I had a piece of goat skin, if I didn't have goat skin I would have used fabric. Denim from an old pair of jeans would work great, but would have involved sewing. The closures are velcro that I superglued on.

I wish I could remember where I got the set from, but I can't. I know I never bought it. I suspect it was my fathers. If it had ever been used, I didn't see any traces of soap on it.

32 6,301
 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
Fantastic work, Brian. You should start selling these!

74 20,776
 06-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Brian, looks great, very nice work Thumbsup

23 1,872
 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
Thanks. I did the kit quite some time ago.

I'm just pretty happy that Gillette kept the same thread for the handles so that I could ditch the tech head. Now it's actually useable.

Edited: because I don't care to bring it to the top of the stack, yet some might want an update.

I shaved with it yesterday as you see it here, short handle and all. Finally the travel set is worth traveling with. It's a wonderful shave. The Gillette Yellows gave me a fantastically close shave. A huge thumbs up on this one! It would work even better with a full size handle, buI can live with the short handle. It worked and it keeps the kit very small.

32 6,301