06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
I have a Semogue 1250 handle. The bristles are off/out and the hole has been cleaned up. It'll take a 20mm knot.

I'm looking at the knots on TGN, and I see they have bulb and fan shape in Super badger. I know the difference is the shape, but in operation what do the different shapes do? How do they perform?

I'm pretty sure right now all my badgers are bulb shaped.

Too, I'm looking at their Best, Silvertip, and Super. Any comments as to what their grades/knots are like?

I may also use one of their boar knots, and keep the brush as a boar, any comments on those?

I know that's alot, but I'm completely ignorant on their knots and this is my first reknot.

TIA gents!

32 6,309
 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
User Info
In my experience, fans will relax the back bone of a brush if all things such as loft, density etc are kept equal.

I've found that a fan builds lather a bit faster and loads faster on soap.

Also due to the relaxed back bone, they splay more and so a smaller knot feels bigger than the equivalent bulb.

I've tried TGN silvertip grade A. It's super soft but I found that it wasn't for me.

You have missed out TGN finest. I rate this hair very highly. Much better than the silvertip knot.

7 1,179
 06-02-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
Looking at their website I see that they do have a 20mm Finest bulb knot.

From your description I'm thinking I want another bulb knot and not a fan. I face lather and don't care for big brushes very much.

I was leaning toward a silvertip, but my mind is open to the Finest. Could you tell me more?

32 6,309
 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM
User Info
Nice back bone, lovely soft tips. It's really nice. When I get custom brushes made, TGN finest is what I request. The silvertip I tried, it was a 26mm set at 48mm loft and I found it still floppy. The finest knots are well balanced in density so work much better for my preferences.

I wouldn't rule out a fan brush, if you don't have one, it's well worth a try.

Also if you like bigger brushes, you can use a fan to make a smaller knot feel bigger, if you know what I mean?

7 1,179
 06-02-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
It sounds like I'm dropping the hammer on a finest and a boar, I still haven't decided between the 2, but neither will be wasted.

I might even try the fan. That'll definitely be different.

Thanks!

Edit: The hammer WAS dropped on a 20mm Finest Fan and a Boar. I'll decide what the handle will hold when they get here.

I have aanother handle (shedding brush) that I'm pretty certain is a 20mm, it'll get the other eventually. If the brush continues to shed it'll happen sooner rather than later.

32 6,309
 06-02-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
Brian, i have the TGN Finest 25mm two-band knot on a Beehive that i picked up from Jeff and it is very nice; great backbone and soft tips. You can see it here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-rv-beehives-...se-archive

75 20,883
 06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
Good choice. Enjoy!

7 1,179
 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM
User Info
WOW!

TGN mailed the knots from AZ on Monday. They must have immediately thrown the package on the plane as it was taxiing (SP?)on the runway, 'cause I got them today!

The Finest Fan I ordered was a 20mm, I measured it at a little over 21mm, so I had a little work to do before glueing it in the wooden handle. The hole was 3/4" deep, so I put a 1/8" teflon disk in the bottom to give me about 44-45mm loft. I'm very curious to see how it compares with my Rooney 3/1 SS of the same size.

Now it's just a matter of waiting sufficiently long to make sure the epoxy is fully cured. I figure I'll use it on Friday. I can probably use it tomorrow. I might do a test lather tomorrow night but I won't use it in the morning.

Good looking knot BTW.

[Image: TGN20mmFF.jpg]

And here it is in full bllom compared to a Rooney 3/1 SS
[Image: TGNFFcompRooney3_1.jpg]

32 6,309
 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-06-2012, 12:58 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The Finest Fan I ordered was a 20mm, I measured it at a little over 21mm, so I had a little work to do before glueing it in the wooden handle. The hole was 3/4" deep, so I put a 1/8" teflon disk in the bottom to give me about 44-45mm loft. I'm very curious to see how it compares with my Rooney 3/1 SS of the same size.

Hi Brian

Looks good Thumbsup

Personally I think TGN Two Band Finest Badger knots offer (very) good value for money, I look forward to reading how you find them...

Also, agree on TGN excellent customer service (fast shipping).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
User Info
Mike it's an excellent brush. I used it for the first time today. It compares very nicely to my Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip, just a tad larger on the face. Maybe just a bit not as soft, but the Rooney is like a cloud, so this brush is very soft. I haven't tested it in anything other than the bottom of a container of Vitos soft Italian soap, and right now it very soft indeed. I want to use the Vitos up so it won't be used on a soap puck for awhile. I don't anticiapate any problems though.

I did have a lot of loose hairs coming out at first, I mean a lot! Maybe 50-60 before I even lathered it the first time. I contacted TGN, and he told me that amount was unusual, but keep an eye on it and get back if it continues, but it's almost nil now. I suppose a few missed getting glued in place when the knot was made. It's still a very dense knot those few hairs lost are meaningless.

I would buy this grade knot again in a heartbeat! Maybe not another fan though (or set it in to full depth), as I wrote, it is larger on the face. It's not so big as to be a deal breaker though.

Edit: So why can't I make a test lather off of a saop puck? My thoughts exactly. It just whipped up a great test lather from Williams in a heart beat.

32 6,309
 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
That looks great in the Semogue handle. My TGN fan currently lives ins Vulfix 404 handle. Maybe soon to be re homed I think into a custom handle.

7 1,179
 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
(06-06-2012, 12:58 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: You did a outstanding job on this brush, the semogue handle looks great with a tuff of badger sticking out of it.

[Image: TGN20mmFF.jpg]

3 68
 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-08-2012, 12:39 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Mike it's an excellent brush. I used it for the first time today. It compares very nicely to my Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip, just a tad larger on the face. Maybe just a bit not as soft, but the Rooney is like a cloud, so this brush is very soft...

Hi Brian

That's very good to hear Thumbsup

I've found my couple of TGN Two Band Finest Badger knots to have nice soft tips, along with plenty of backbone, so the brushes lather up like champs while at the same time feeling very nice on the face (I exclusively face lather).

That does seem like a lot of hairs to loose, I think I've lost 4 hairs from one of my TGN Two Band Finest Badger knots and none from the other (used for the first time today, whipping up a test lather in the palm of my hand). Nice to hear TGN will deal with it, if it becomes a real problem, fingers-crossed it won't.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872