01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
It has been a while since I tried a soap with olive oil in it and I unfortunately forgot which soap it was. However, I remember it was not a quality shaving experience. I also remember reading that olive oil-containing soaps did not provide the protection we seek. I believe I came across this notion when toying with the idea of making my own shaving soap and reading what other soapsters had said.

What say you? Do you have any experience, good or bad, with olive oil-containing soaps? Whenever I see olive oil in a soap's ingredients I run (or click) the Hades out of there.

1 795
 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
Bad! I tried one from an Etsy seller and it didn't lather, whatsoever, and it was marketed as a shaving soap, but I highly doubt it varied much from their hand/bath soaps.

83 21,077
 01-06-2015, 03:12 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Having olive oil in a shaving soap isn't necessarily a bad sign, having it as one of the first listed ingredients in a shaving soap is. Queen Charlotte Soaps uses olive oil in their shaving soaps and creams both of which I am a fan of.

144 2,751
 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
User Info
(01-06-2015, 03:12 PM)blzrfn Wrote: Having olive oil in a shaving soap isn't necessarily a bad sign, having it as one of the first listed ingredients in a shaving soap is. Queen Charlotte Soaps uses olive oil in their shaving soaps and creams both of which I am a fan of.

Exactly. A quality soap is a quality soap, regardless of Olive Oil or Tallow. QCS is an excellent example of a quality soap that uses Olive Oil correctly.

If the right person is making it and knows what they are doing, it doesn't matter.

8 2,718
 01-06-2015, 09:03 PM
User Info
The one I tried has olive oil as its main/principal ingredient. This was before I really knew anything about shaving soaps. Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-06-2015, 10:51 PM
User Info
I figure if the Italians don't put olive oil in their soaps - and it isn't in Cella, Valobra, P160, Proraso, etc. - then it just doesn't belong.

12 1,247
 01-07-2015, 06:35 AM
User Info
Olive oil is a great ingredient for a cleansing bar of soap but the soap salts created from Oleic Acid have large, unstable bubbles. There are soap makers that will use it as a minor ingredient and that is OK but when it is one of the first 3 or 4 on the ingredient list it is going to cause problems with the lather for shaving.

0 36
 01-07-2015, 07:12 AM
User Info
I wonder if it is worth it to include olive oil in a shaving soap? I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but I would imagine that good olive oil is probably more expensive than other alternatives, like coconut oil. And its very finicky. So why bother?

It seems that most "shaving" soaps I hear about are reconfigured bath soaps made by local/Etsy artisans, so it makes sense economically for them, since they already have the olive oil on hand from the bath soaps. But it would makes less economic sense for a true shaving soap artisan to add it. I know I am making "sciency" and "economic-ish" arguments so I'd love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in.

84 1,505