01-08-2015, 02:05 AM
  • MPH
  • UK
User Info
Hi everyone,

I just thought I would share this brush with you all to see if anyone knows more about it than I do? I am relatively new to this site but I have posted a similar post on "the shaving room" (TSR) before so apologies if I bore some of the UK members!

Basically I dont know a great deal about shaving brushes as I am only just becoming interested (obsessed) in them. I bought this brush on a whim a couple of years ago as I liked the handle but couldn't find out any information about it. On advice from TSR I e-mailed plisson who own Joris and they told me:

"It is made from brass and covered in resin, with the top and bottom bits being brass covered in 24K gold."

It is a relatively small brush but very heavy and sturdy and you can unscrew the top and bottom for maintenance.

In all honesty I don't know what grade of hair it is but it is 'less soft' than my newer brushes, and has a lot of backbone. It doesn't have the soft tips everyone seems to require nowadays but clearly is a top quality brush (handle).

So.... Anyone out there got any info that could estimate its age? I have no idea but its clearly quite old as there is slight markings on the bottom of the handle from sitting on a shelf etc.

I am continuously falling in and out of love with this brush but it is certainly my most interesting one as I suspect it has quite a history behind it... Of which I know next to nothing!

All the best

Matt

[Image: 0YtFMza.jpg]
[Image: p4ObRZ2.jpg]
[Image: Jx1auCy.jpg]
[Image: kHMLpVz.jpg]

1 178
 01-08-2015, 02:18 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Looks to me like a mixed-loft brush judging by the darker, squared-off ends of what I presume to be horse hair, either mane or tail (or both?)

0 1,846
 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM
  • MPH
  • UK
User Info
Thank you for your reply.

I like the sound of the horse hair.…...Very continental! Wonder how you could know for sure????

Been trying to google 'mixed loft' to see if I can see something similar, but no luck so far. Will keep trying, but in the meantime will assume it is at least part horse![/php]

1 178
 01-09-2015, 01:51 AM
User Info
It's part of a Joris / Plisson shaving set i.e Razor & Brush possibly a stand....

With regards to to hair grade my guess would be European Gray, not a great age to this but between six (6) & Ten (10) old.

Hope this helps

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 01-10-2015, 02:43 AM
  • MPH
  • UK
User Info
(01-09-2015, 01:51 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: It's part of a Joris / Plisson shaving set i.e Razor & Brush possibly a stand....

With regards to to hair grade my guess would be European Gray, not a great age to this but between six (6) & Ten (10) old.

Hope this helps

Charles U.K

Hi

Thanks for your reply!

I wonder how you know what hair it is for sure??? Maybe I need a DNA test!!!! ;-).

Matt

1 178