01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
This morning, I realized anew why a slant razor probably would not be a good choice for me.

Then already in my 70s, at the end of April 2014 I held a DE razor in my hand for the very first time in my life when I purchased a Standard Razors razor.  Eight plus months into an ongoing experiment, incidents of weepers are spaced ever further apart:  I think I have gone a few weeks since the last weeper; and the now-infrequent weepers were as bad as it ever got; I had never experienced a serious cut from a DE blade.

Until this morning.  And the cut was -- actually cuts were -- not even on my face.

The last touch-up of this morning's shave was on the left side of my upper lip, and I stretched the skin on the proximate cheek with the tips of the fingers of my left hand as I made some short upward (ATG) strokes to clean up the stubble on the lip.  All done; then simultaneously I lifted the razor off my face and released my left hands' fingers from the skin stretching.  

Exactly how the razor stroke proceeded, I cannot tell you, but the razor, held in my right hand, somehow came across my left hand's fingers in a slantwise motion, slicing off large patches of skin on the outside, or pinky side, alongside the fingernails, of both my left middle finger and my left ring finger.  All in one inadvertent short stroke.  Blood flowed profusely, and stanching it took several minutes.

DE blades certainly are efficient for slicing when used on the slant, even in a "safety" razor.
 Scared

1 1,110
 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM
User Info
Man that's crazy. I've yet to use a slant but I could see how because of the blade exposure and angle it could really do a job on one's fingers. You're very fortunate. My dad's arpund your age and he takes bloid thinners so he stays gar away from anything but a cart. Unfortunately he threw away his old Gillette and os mug before I could stop him. What kind of slant? Glad you're ok.

0 862
 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM
User Info
I´ll take that as a warning.
Thank you for sharing

21 1,175
 01-08-2015, 01:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I actually have less cuts using a slant razor. Go figure.

I too tried my best to cut the tip of my finger off when I dropped my DE and grabbed it before it hit the sink. You guessed it, grabbed it by the head.

179 23,934
 01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
User Info
(01-08-2015, 01:34 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: I´ll take that as a warning.
Thank you for sharing
Uh, yeah, same here.

Sorry that this happened to you, Mel.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-08-2015, 01:45 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-08-2015, 12:47 PM)EJaggerMan Wrote: What kind of slant?

The razor itself was not a slant; it is just a Standard Razors solid bar safety razor. The effective (slanted) angle of the stroke as I pulled the razor off of my upper lip to rinse the razor in the sink at the end of the shave, and at the same time removed the fingertips of my other hand from my cheek, where they had been stretching the skin tight, is what did me in.

1 1,110
 01-08-2015, 03:22 PM
User Info
Understood

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-08-2015, 03:23 PM
User Info
oh jebus - i feel really sorry for you! i can see your incident in my head as a horror short clip, and it's terrible Sad

and johnny, i can certainly understand that grabbing reflex. i learned when working as a cook many years ago to never ever try to grab a dropping knife or similar, but back away super quick. it's better to destroy something extremely sharp than your limbs - but when i think again - i do have one particular razor that i believe i would loose my pinky for Biggrin

7 1,624
 01-08-2015, 08:31 PM
User Info
Woah! I wish you a speedy recovery.

83 21,113
 01-08-2015, 08:38 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Ouch, Bad luck. A good reminder of how sharp the blades are and how little it takes to cut. I hope you get well soon.

29 1,627
 01-08-2015, 09:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
After all, weird things happen in weird Portland. Take care, Mel.

38 5,198
 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-08-2015, 09:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: After all, weird things happen in weird Portland.

But living So Very Near to the Center of the Known Universe makes it all worthwhile. Sisi

1 1,110
 01-09-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
can I be a satellite of weird Portland down here in Sweet Home? I am watching Portlandia again

76 1,331
 01-09-2015, 11:03 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(01-09-2015, 10:42 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: can I be a satellite of weird Portland down here in Sweet Home? I am watching Portlandia again
Portland is as much a state of mind as it is a physical place. Several decades ago, soon after we were married, my bride and I were giving a tour of Western Oregon to a friend who was visiting from Japan. After we had viewed Proxy Falls on the McKenzie Highway (Oregon 242), we headed west on US 20, when my bride started to explain to our guest about the great Columbia River; I had to interrupt her to clarify that, while the Columbia is, indeed, the Great River of the West, Foster Lake, to which she was pointing, is an impoundment of the South Fork of the Santiam River.

1 1,110
 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM
User Info
(01-09-2015, 11:03 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-09-2015, 10:42 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: can I be a satellite of weird Portland down here in Sweet Home? I am watching Portlandia again
Portland is as much a state of mind as it is a physical place. Several decades ago, soon after we were married, my bride and I were giving a tour of Western Oregon to a friend who was visiting from Japan. After we had viewed Proxy Falls on the McKenzie Highway (Oregon 242), we headed west on US 20, when my bride started to explain to our guest about the great Columbia River; I had to interrupt her to clarify that, while the Columbia is, indeed, the Great River of the West, Foster Lake, to which she was pointing, is an impoundment of the South Fork of the Santiam River.
yep my backyard. love foster lake and the lake that feeds it green peter lake. old growth forest just something.

76 1,331
 01-09-2015, 01:28 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Portland: rose gardens.
Columbia River: USCG Lifeboat station and training center for surfmen.
Tillamook Bay: THAT cheese and where I rolled a MLB on the bar and lived due to above.
Silly idea inspired by this thread: installing a lanyard ring on a razor and wearing it attached to one of several pistol lanyards I still have.
Mele- we've all been wounded; razorblades, women, spilled bottles of vintage booze.

2 3,171
 01-09-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
Doesn't take much to part human skin...Sisi1

39 3,952
 01-09-2015, 09:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
After several applications of hydrogen peroxide 3% solution. Middle finger in background, and ring finger in foreground; pinky, hidden in foreground, and index finger behind middle finger in background -- both uninjured -- are curled under to give clearer view. (My fingers are not usually that puffy, but there has been an, um, trauma in the area. The dark stuff around the tips of the fingers, along the cuticles, and under the fingernails is dried blood which completely enveloped both fingertips initially; at this stage, I am not yet ready to scrub the fingers vigorously to get rid of that; repeated disinfection for now, soapy scrubbing later.)

[Image: NFW1S8g.jpg]

The lesson to take from this event: be not hasty to move the razor to the sink for rinsing after you have finished your shave.

Or: at least move your non-razor hand out of the way first. Tongue

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue in a Standard Razors razor.

1 1,110
 01-10-2015, 07:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Heal quickly Mel.

7 2,359
 01-11-2015, 08:42 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I was thinking, "Ohh, that sucks, but that can't be too bad..." while reading the thread the first time. Now that the pictures are posted *Insert squeamish mode here*. Scary moment! I'm glad it wasn't much worse.

Falling blades are terrifying. I jump away whenever a sharp object falls. I made the mistake of trying to catch one with my foot once to stop/slow the fall... Never again.

10 759