01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Can someone having business experience explain why some vendor websites are still offering products that cannot be actually supplied, because the pipeline ceased or closed some time ago...and we all know it!?

Case in point - Westcoast Shaving is still offering several Simpsons brushes with 2-band knots while we all know that these can only be obtained from the Simpsons website. When you click for more info, then it states that the item is out of stock. In addition, they also are still offering Tabac shave sticks and the corresponding refills. We all know they are not currently imported into the US. A few other vendors, other than Westcoast, do similar things.

So what's the deal? What are they achieving?

1 795
 01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
User Info
perhaps to attract potential customers to their website via search engines and hope they purchase something else from them?

7 1,624
 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
I tend to think simply that their web housekeeping is in arrears.

8 917
 01-08-2015, 04:27 PM
User Info
Even Walmart online has phantom stock.

I was able to add 500 Lego sets the other day when it was known to be OOS.

I get frustrated with a few shave sites that show items that haven't been available for a few years only to click on it and find out that it's not available.

All evidence has been buried, all tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM
User Info
(01-08-2015, 01:42 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: Can someone having business experience explain why some vendor websites are still offering products that cannot be actually supplied, because the pipeline ceased or closed some time ago...and we all know it!?

Case in point - Westcoast Shaving is still offering several Simpsons brushes with 2-band knots while we all know that these can only be obtained from the Simpsons website. When you click for more info, then it states that the item is out of stock. In addition, they also are still offering Tabac shave sticks and the corresponding refills. We all know they are not currently imported into the US. A few other vendors, other than Westcoast, do similar things.

So what's the deal? What are they achieving?
Why can't you get Tabac shave sticks in the US?

0 858
 01-08-2015, 05:26 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-08-2015, 04:00 PM)tonsorius Wrote: perhaps to attract potential customers to their website via search engines and hope they purchase something else from them?

This. It helps search engine ranking. If it is gone for good, I remove it. If it may be coming back, I keep it but show it as out of stock

46 18,380
 01-08-2015, 06:29 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
[/quote]
Why can't you get Tabac shave sticks in the US?
[/quote]

Some labeling issue arose with recent changes in the FDA's regulations. Tabac sticks can be purchased in a non-US website and delivered w/in the US; but they cannot be sold in the U.S. For some reason, Tabac decided ceasing importations was easier than complying with the new regulations.

1 795