01-10-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
Hey Guys,

A friend is selling his Sony NEX-5 with 18-25mm kit lens. I've never really used a camera other than my cell phone but I thought it might be a fun toy to play with.

What are you thoughts on this camera and lens? I'm getting it for about $200.

Conversely, I can get a Canon S110 which is a Point and Shoot but with some manual controls for the same price.

Thoughts on either?

Thanks!

23 656
 01-10-2015, 03:08 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
The NEX is easily worth 200. I'd jump on it if it were offered to me at that price. Many that owned both the 5 and 6 liked the 5 more. Sony listened to what their customers said and combined the best of both worlds in the a6000 when they discontinued the NEX line.

I say buy. It's a good camera from what I've read, and like I said, if I was offered that deal I'd hand em the cash before they could finish their sentence...

18 1,186
 01-10-2015, 03:18 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-10-2015, 03:08 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: The NEX is easily worth 200. I'd jump on it if it were offered to me at that price. Many that owned both the 5 and 6 liked the 5 more. Sony listened to what their customers said and combined the best of both worlds in the a6000 when they discontinued the NEX line.

I say buy. It's a good camera from what I've read, and like I said, if I was offered that deal I'd hand em the cash before they could finish their sentence...

Great advice here. Recently when I was shopping for mirrorless options and I was debating between new and used, I ran across a few used NEX 5's and they were certainly over the $200 mark! Sounds like a great deal to me as well Biggrin

34 1,628
 01-11-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
Thanks guys. I'm completely new to DSLR or anything more than a simple point and shoot or camera phone. My co-workers are really into photography and I always feel a little left out when they talk about it.

I'll keep you posted on what I end up coming home with.

23 656
 01-11-2015, 09:00 PM
User Info
Good luck with the purchase and does this mean we'll be seeing daily pics in the SOTD?! Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-13-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info
Hi Guys,

So i'm faced with two choices:

1) Sony NEX-5 with a kit lens (18-55mm)
2) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 with a manual lens (TBD).

I'm more familiar with the Panasonic as I had an old DMC-TZ3, but that's neither here nor there. Omitting the lenses as this is just "dipping my toe in the water" which one would you go with?

I've read and watched various reviews, they they are very confusing; some people recommend one brand while others recommend the other brand, seemingly for the same reasons?

My main issue is that I want something relatively small so that i'd not a pain to carry it (hence i'll actually use it) and I hate shutter lag (I take a picture and wait for the elves inside the camera to sort themselves out before it's ready to take another picture).

Thanks!

23 656
 01-14-2015, 05:15 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Strictly my input based on my own limited research when I was shopping: The Sony is probably the better all-around "get your feet wet" package, but I believe the lens selection is more limited sans adopter. Also, you might want to compare sensors...I know the Sony sensors on their mirrorless systems are huge bang for the buck, although I am not familiar with which sensors are on the Lumix. My vote would be the NEX-5 Biggrin

Just wanted to share some thoughts...My answer might also be a little biased as I just picked up a Sony a6000 and I'm finding it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread Tongue

34 1,628
 01-14-2015, 05:56 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
My NEX 3 was purchased for around $400 at Target four years ago. A telephoto lens and spare battery with charger were added through Amazon since then for a reasonably good value. Some cameras will not work properly with assessories made by others but the Nex 3 will. I have a some experience with SLE's and took several classes in Seattle and again, more recently in Savannah with digital. The NEX is simply the best that I've used/owned. My telephoto was around $200, so you have a great bargain. Check to see if there are assories that you can buy, especially the telephoto. Cheers

11 303
 01-14-2015, 08:59 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I am still on the Sony side. I think you have more growth potential there then you do with the Panasonic. Micro 4/3 is a whole nother debate really (the sensor size used in the Panasonic), and it is just my opinion, but I think the Sony is the better option. Better sensor, better glass, better growth potential in my opinion (if you ever choose to stick your whole leg in, instead of just your toes, you'll be happier on the Sony side).

18 1,186