06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
User Info
Somewhere between the just rinse off my razor,shake it a few times and put it away method some of you use and the take it apart,take the blade out and clean everything before putting it away technique others have mentioned,I've found something easy and highly effective that's working really well,at least for my razors.

Supplies:
-Small bottle Dawn Liquid Detergent (The stuff for washing dishes)
-Old Plastic Half Pound Macaroni Salad Container

*Add a dime size or less drop of Dawn to plastic container,add hottest tap possible,until container's full of soapy water.

*Add razor and let it sit a couple of minutes while your doing other stuff

*Briefly take out razor,use your finger tip to wipe off cap....etc,then put razor back into hot soapy water,set container in sink and run the hot tap water into the container,until all traces of soap are gone.

*Set plastic container on counter,let soak in clear hot water a minute or 2,remove and store razor.

The exterior's always spotless and when it's time to take it apart for a blade change,the inside's amazingly clean.

7 414
 06-02-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
Interesting cleaning method; may have to try it out.

75 20,883
 06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
I usually keep a old toothbrush by the sink and use the pump hand soap on the toothbrush and scrub the razors down every two weeks or so.

2 805
 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Blush
I'm part of the OCD *take it apart after every shave and wipe it clean* camp Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
I usually just take it apart and go to town on it with qtips.

4 309
 06-03-2012, 04:52 AM
User Info
I'm even more low maintenance; I do nothing.

72 1,407
 06-03-2012, 05:06 AM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 04:52 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I'm even more low maintenance; I do nothing.

What I'm doing is close to nothing,that's why I like it:

Essentially it's after each shave:

Letting razor soak in hot soapy water while doing other stuff.A bit later run some plain hot water into the container and let it soak some more,continue doing other stuff.

Remove form hot water and store razor.

7 414
 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 05:06 AM)razorx Wrote: What I'm doing is close to nothing,that's why I like it:

Letting razor soak in hot soapy water while doing other stuff.A bit later run some plain hot water into the container and let it soak some more,continue doing other stuff.

Sorry - my previous post was a little too flip. When I first got into DE shaving, I would scrub my razor down once a week with Scrubbling Bubbles and a toothbrush and it kept it nice and shiny. I also experimented with dunking the head in rubbing alcohol after each shave. Then I just stopped doing all of this altogether and I haven't noticed really any difference, except cosmetically.

I don't really have time in the morning to go through any more elaborate procedure than rinsing the razor off and it doesn't seem to have affected it in any way. After all, like brush, the razor is being used in soap or cream, which is already very clean.

72 1,407
 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
I clean mine once a week when I switch out razors. Just spray it down with bathroom disinfectant and scrub it with an old toothbrush, rinse and then set it out to dry.

Clayton

6 617
 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
(06-02-2012, 05:28 PM)razorx Wrote: Somewhere between the just rinse off my razor,shake it a few times and put it away method some of you use and the take it apart,take the blade out and clean everything before putting it away technique others have mentioned,I've found something easy and highly effective that's working really well,at least for my razors.

Supplies:

*Add a dime size or less drop of Dawn to plastic container,add hottest tap possible,until container's full of soapy water.

*Briefly take out razor,use your finger tip to wipe off cap....etc,then put razor back into hot soapy water,set container in sink and run the hot tap water into the container,until all traces of soap are gone.

*Set plastic container on counter,let soak in clear hot water a minute or 2,remove and store razor.

The exterior's always spotless and when it's time to take it apart for a blade change,the inside's amazingly clean.

I've been doing this the past two days, just to see if you're onto something you're onto something. Doesn't work as well with my regular weber, still pretty good though. thanks for sharing.

4 309
 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
User Info
The best thing I can think of is the little Barbicide manicure container half full of Barbicide. Inexpensive, matches the decor and kills everything. The easiest thing for anyone who shaves to contract is staph; which is a major PITA to deal with. I had it and now have a nice scar.

9 451
 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 06:44 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 05:06 AM)razorx Wrote: What I'm doing is close to nothing,that's why I like it:

Sorry - my previous post was a little too flip. When I first got into DE shaving, I would scrub my razor down once a week with Scrubbling Bubbles and a toothbrush and it kept it nice and shiny. I also experimented with dunking the head in rubbing alcohol after each shave. Then I just stopped doing all of this altogether and I haven't noticed really any difference, except cosmetically.

I don't really have time in the morning to go through any more elaborate procedure than rinsing the razor off and it doesn't seem to have affected it in any way. After all, like brush, the razor is being used in soap or cream, which is already very clean.

Nah...I got what you were saying,cool all the way.Our goal's pretty much the same.

(06-04-2012, 07:05 PM)hudson Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 05:28 PM)razorx Wrote: Somewhere between the just rinse off my razor,shake it a few times and put it away method some of you use and the take it apart,take the blade out and clean everything before putting it away technique others have mentioned,I've found something easy and highly effective that's working really well,at least for my razors.

Supplies:

I've been doing this the past two days, just to see if you're onto something you're onto something. Doesn't work as well with my regular weber, still pretty good though. thanks for sharing.

I never tried this on my Weber,I had the DLC version which tended to hold shaving soap residue a bit more,cool that you gave it a try.

(06-04-2012, 07:23 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: The best thing I can think of is the little Barbicide manicure container half full of Barbicide. Inexpensive, matches the decor and kills everything. The easiest thing for anyone who shaves to contract is staph; which is a major PITA to deal with. I had it and now have a nice scar.

Good heads up on staph,nothing to play games with.I'm thinking back to days past and can't remember my Dad doing much post shave care to his SuperSpeed,my tap water's real hot when I max it out.Tried touching up a spot this morning after my OSS had been soaking a couple of minutes and honest....the thing was too hot to hang onto.Probably hot enough to kill most micro critters. (I hope!!!)

7 414
 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Because of my well water I get noticeable buildup on my gold HD especially with creams. After most shaves I take the blade out and do a light wipe down of the razor with a paper towel. I used to give it a dunk in alcohol or Scrubbing Bubbles when I changed the blade, but I don't bother with that anymore.

My stepfather had OCD when it came to wiping down sinks, faucets and countertops, yet I remember his TTO always looking gross with buildup from the Noxzema brushless cream he used. He'd clean the sink 20 times a day, but I don't think he ever cleaned his razor.

0 204
 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I too dip it in barbacide for about 10 minutes after my shave, comes out sterilized and actually very clean!

9 408
 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
I dip the razor head in the alcohol filled container that I store my blade in before I shave. After the shave the blade and razor get rinsed and the blade goes back into it's alcohol bath till the next morning.

Clayton

6 617
 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 04:52 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I'm even more low maintenance; I do nothing.

+1

I'm the same way, just rinse it off, shake it dry and put it away. I don't get all the fiddly taking the razor apart after each shave, soaking it in alcohol/barbicide, removing the blade, polishing the razor each day, etc. Does it serve a purpose? Even back in the day, guys would not do all that, carbon steel blades notwithstanding.

0 303
 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 07:22 PM)Tbone Wrote:

+1

I'm the same way, just rinse it off, shake it dry and put it away. I don't get all the fiddly taking the razor apart after each shave, soaking it in alcohol/barbicide, removing the blade, polishing the razor each day, etc. Does it serve a purpose? Even back in the day, guys would not do all that, carbon steel blades notwithstanding.

I never take mine apart except to put in a new blade,what I do is easy,only takes a few seconds.

The difference is you and jpakstis are rinsing 'em and giving them a shake before putting them away....All I'm doing different is throwing mine in a little plastic container of real hot soapy water and leaving it there to soak a couple of minutes while I do other stuff....a bit later I'll dump the soapy water and add plain hot water and let it soak a couple of more minutes before putting it away.

7 414
 06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(06-02-2012, 08:44 PM)gijames Wrote: Blush
I'm part of the OCD *take it apart after every shave and wipe it clean* camp Biggrin

Yep, and I'm the camp's Troop Leader.

35 2,703
 06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 07:22 PM)Tbone Wrote:

+1

I just do the alcohol dip before I use it to kill any bad bacteria that may have fallen on it during the previous 24 hours. I find my blades last longer when they are kept in an alcohol filled container in between shaves.

Clayton

6 617
 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
I rinse any left over crud off the razor and put it in its stand.

Every couple blade changes, I give it a light cleaning and polish with Maas 90 or the like. It's kept my razors in nice shape for the last few years.

18 569