06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
User Info
I have read a lot about simpsons 2-band brushes and they seem to have a great reputation for being very soft on the tips.

Here is my quest::
I am having a hard time finding a 2-band with tips soft enough. I got rid of my older Rooney heritage stubby because it was a lather hog but the tips ruled the freaking world! I got a SOC 2-band and it felt like a paint brush to me... very ruff and not luxurious. Next, I bought the Rooney urn and it is not a a lather hog but it lacks the softness of the Stubby that I sold. I just got my M&F in last week and it is Identical in every way to my Rooney urn there is no difference between the Heritage hair and the M&F hair in MY brushes. Now, I don't mind having an urn and an M&F but I am not much of a collector, I am a user!! Wink I'll probably get rid of one of them or trade for a Simpson 2-Band.

So, with all this being said I am ready to try the Simpson 2-band'ers.

I have a Tulip in super that I really really like. Love the handle on my Polo 10 also. The Polo 8 2-band may be an option as well as the tulip 3 or maybe the tulip 2?

Which do you have and why do you like your particular Simpson the best?

5 413
 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My favorite is the Astor LE, followed very closely by my Chubby 2. I like a shorter loft on Simpsons 2-band, as the hair has incredibly soft tips, and the short loft adds some scrub. Of the two you have mentioned, I think the Polo has the shorter loft. I have a Tulip 3 in 2-band Super, and it's a great brush. The loft is tall, though, giving it a totally different feel than my other Simpson 2-banders: bigger knot on the face, more flex, less scrub.

43 1,690
 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
(06-02-2012, 08:58 PM)Andrew Wrote: My favorite is the Astor LE, followed very closely by my Chubby 2. I like a shorter loft on Simpsons 2-band, as the hair has incredibly soft tips, and the short loft adds some scrub. Of the two you have mentioned, I think the Polo has the shorter loft. I have a Tulip 3 in 2-band Super, and it's a great brush. The loft is tall, though, giving it a totally different feel than my other Simpson 2-banders: bigger knot on the face, more flex, less scrub.

The Tulip may be the best best fort me... I don't like a lot of scrub. I will say the Polo is so tempting.

5 413
 06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My Tulip knot looks a little different than others I have seen posted on the forums. The third band shows a little at the base of the knot, and it's more fan-shaped. I love the handle, and overall the brush is fantastic.

I should clarify what I mean by scrub. I'm not talking about an exfoliating type sensation on the face - not scratch/scritch. I'm talking about feeling the knot (not the tips of the hairs) as you rub it on your face. Push harder, and the brush pushes back instead of opening up or flopping to the side.

With this in mind, if you like a little less scrub, I say go for the Tulip. Or consider a Persian Jar.

43 1,690
 06-02-2012, 10:57 PM
User Info
I find it hard to choose between my Duke 3 or 57.

I think the Duke 3 just edges it though.

7 1,179
 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Not to question your choice, but if you are looking for soft tips why not go for the 3-band instead of the 2-band?

9 541
 06-03-2012, 04:22 AM
User Info
(06-02-2012, 11:52 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Not to question your choice, but if you are looking for soft tips why not go for the 3-band instead of the 2-band?

That's a fair question Smile

I have a few 3 bands already. I like the 2 bands because they dry quicker and the backbone is nice. My quest is to replace the Stubby I had with something that has those soft tips all the while not being a lather hog.

5 413
 06-03-2012, 07:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My 2 band Thaters all have super soft tips...

In the Simpsons range the Chubby is closest to your former Rooney, but it will hog the lather too. The Duke and 57 are similar, but are both a little less dense and don't hog as much lather.

91 17,876
 06-03-2012, 07:46 AM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 07:09 AM)ben74 Wrote: My 2 band Thaters all have super soft tips...

In the Simpsons range the Chubby is closest to your former Rooney, but it will hog the lather too. The Duke and 57 are similar, but are both a little less dense and don't hog as much lather.

Thater is not an option for me, but I'm not getting into all that here Smile

Now as to your other suggestions gonna have to look into those some more. They do sound interesting. I will say I am not particularly attached to the handle style of the stubby. I love my urn handle polo and tulip handles also.

5 413
 06-03-2012, 10:26 AM
User Info
Kris, you have yourself a challenging dilemma; so many choices from so many great brushes! Good luck. i can not believe you got rid of your Rooney Stubby 1XL.

75 20,883
 06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Just going to throw this out there: Shavemac D01

If you get one without a super short loft it should still have good backbone with improved flowthrough

9 541
 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
User Info
I like Simpsons 2-band best of their badger grades, and I've had a lot of their brushes in that grade.

My current favourite is the Emperor 3 2-band. Wow! What a brush! I love the handle, and the knot size/loft ratio is just spot on.

I mostly bowl lather, so the longer handle of the Emperor works really well for me. If you face lather you may prefer a Tulip 2 or 3.

I've had Shavemac D01 2-band brushes and I don't think their hair is as good (for me) as the Simpsons 2-band, and I found Rooney Heritage hair to be to soft at the tips. This is a YMMV thing - but even counting Simpsons Manchurian, I still prefer the 2-band.

In fact, the only brush with better hair that I have is my 80's Plisson HMW.

37 1,731
 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
It is very difficult for me to call one of my vintage Simpson 2-bands the best, because they're all so good. But I think my favorite has to be this Chubby 1.
[Image: IMG_5419.jpg]

185 12,010
 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(06-03-2012, 03:09 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I like Simpsons 2-band best of their badger grades, and I've had a lot of their brushes in that grade.

My current favourite is the Emperor 3 2-band. Wow! What a brush! I love the handle, and the knot size/loft ratio is just spot on.

I mostly bowl lather, so the longer handle of the Emperor works really well for me. If you face lather you may prefer a Tulip 2 or 3.

I've had Shavemac D01 2-band brushes and I don't think their hair is as good (for me) as the Simpsons 2-band, and I found Rooney Heritage hair to be to soft at the tips. This is a YMMV thing - but even counting Simpsons Manchurian, I still prefer the 2-band.

In fact, the only brush with better hair that I have is my 80's Plisson HMW.

If I was going to get a Simpson's two band I think I'd go for the Emperor too. Looks like one of the more affordable entrances to the 2 band simpsons and I really like the longer handle.

0 353
 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 09:21 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: It is very difficult for me to call one of my vintage Simpson 2-bands the best, because they're all so good. But I think my favorite has to be this Chubby 1.
[Image: IMG_5419.jpg]

That is a pretty brush!!

(06-03-2012, 10:26 AM)celestino Wrote: Kris, you have yourself a challenging dilemma; so many choices from so many great brushes! Good luck. i can not believe you got rid of your Rooney Stubby 1XL.

I know but I had to. I was not reaching for it. It would not give up the larger for me. But lesson learned. I'll never sell another brush until the new one comes in and I compare them. Rooney and M&F must have changed their hair since my Stubby was made?? Somehow they are just not as soft on the tips. They are fine brushes though!

5 413
 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-04-2012, 09:21 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: It is very difficult for me to call one of my vintage Simpson 2-bands the best, because they're all so good. But I think my favorite has to be this Chubby 1.

That sir, is a beautiful brush!

(06-04-2012, 02:25 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: I know but I had to. I was not reaching for it. It would not give up the larger for me. But lesson learned. I'll never sell another brush until the new one comes in and I compare them. Rooney and M&F must have changed their hair since my Stubby was made?? Somehow they are just not as soft on the tips. They are fine brushes though!

That is the current consensus of opinion!

91 17,876
 06-05-2012, 06:47 AM
User Info
If you want something as soft at the tips as the Stubby XL from a while ago, the Simpsons brushes are not for you.

They're not as soft at the tips as the older Rooney XL hairs. I actually found the Rooney hair to be too soft on the face, and I prefer Simpsons, but not everyone does, of course.

The only hair that matched the Rooney hair pretty closely was in one of my New Forest brushes.

37 1,731
 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 06:47 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: If you want something as soft at the tips as the Stubby XL from a while ago, the Simpsons brushes are not for you.

They're not as soft at the tips as the older Rooney XL hairs. I actually found the Rooney hair to be too soft on the face, and I prefer Simpsons, but not everyone does, of course.

The only hair that matched the Rooney hair pretty closely was in one of my New Forest brushes.

I know nothing about the new forest. I need to find out more about them. Where should I start?

5 413
 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM
User Info
New Forest brushes are sold by Fido from his blog - newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/

There are a couple of reviews on this site - and a passaround thread with more reviews.

He apparently had some QC issues a while ago, but the two brushes I had were excellent.

37 1,731