01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
I'm waiting on the completion of my brush and razor, but I overlooked buying blades. I would prefer to buy in a store, but I'm not sure where I would be able to find decent blades. I need something mild, as I am a brand new wet shaver (I'm a lady so this will be on legs).

0 11
 01-11-2015, 09:43 AM
User Info
I wish I could buy them in the stores over here, but the internet leads me to believe that places like WalMart and drug stores (CVS mentioned in particular - they also seems to sell store-brand DE blades) should carry them. Common sense should dictate that they would be near the carts and canned goo.

Best of luck finding blades Biggrin

3 4,501
 01-11-2015, 09:57 AM
User Info
At least here in NYC, DE blades are hard to come by in brick-and-mortar stores. We're fortunate enough to have the specialty store, Pasteur's.

I have seen the chain drug stores carry blades here and there (Israeli-made under the chain's brand), but the prices are not good.

8 916
 01-11-2015, 09:58 AM
User Info
Your best bet for blades is online. Most of what you'll find in stores is Dorco (Korea) and not exactly a decent blade.

You could go for a sample pack like most of us did in the beginning, but when my wife started she stole my blades Tongue

You can find decent sample packs on Amazon or fleabay.

1 125
 01-11-2015, 09:59 AM
User Info
going into a store and find the safety razor blades you like is rather hard in my experience. I recommend you buy a sampler pack online. Good standard blades could be a pack personna blades. What works in your case depends on the razor used and your skin vs hair strength, also on your technique and the quality of lubrification.
Philipp

Of course you want the process to be mild, however a blade with a nicely softened edge needs the right guiding or it will scrape unreliably rather than cut hair. Match your blade and razor and prepare well.

21 1,175
 01-11-2015, 12:07 PM
User Info
Sally Beauty Supply has Derbys and maybe Feathers (can't recall if they were DEs, or just for hair shapers). I didn't find Derbys to be great for me (the green "Extras", anyway).

According to their store locator, the closest location to the center of Oil City, PA is near a Wal-Mart in Meadville.

Perhaps there are other beauty supply stores closer to you.

0 1,071
 01-11-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
I actually relocated to meadville so I will have to check it out.

0 11
 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM
User Info
I see DE blades at CVS but they are pricey!!

3 218
 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
User Info
Where is a good place to order a sample pack from? My main concern is paying shipping costs.

0 11
 01-11-2015, 02:34 PM
User Info
I ordered blades on Amazon. If your buying other stuff throw them in and it's usually free shipping.

3 218
 01-11-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
We have several supporters on this site which can hook you up & in most cases give you advise & a small discount.Try Bullgoose shaving or Lee's ,there are several others ,they are all good,have great customer service & are just plain nice people.Hope this helps...Ernie

20 441
 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
You might try OTC Wholesale:

http://www.otcwholesale.com/wilkinson-90300

They carry Wilkinson (very reasonably Priced) which I have tried in the past and liked. Hope this helps.

0 22
 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
Ok, now I'm just deciding between bullgoose's preferred or touchstone package.

They're nearly the same except a few different blades.

0 11
 01-12-2015, 01:15 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
(01-11-2015, 03:08 PM)crunchymama Wrote: Ok, now I'm just deciding between bullgoose's preferred or touchstone package.

They're nearly the same except a few different blades.

Maggard Razors has a "build your own sampler" option. You could get 5-packs of Astra SP, Derby Extra, Red Pack Personna, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp, Rapira Platinum Lux, Gillette Wilkinson Sword and PermaSharp (35 blades total) for $8.36 plus nominal shipping. All are reputable/popular blades and represent a fairly broad range of sharpness and smoothness. (You'd want to try each type of blade 2-3 times before dismissing as one you don't care for).

12 166
 01-12-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
Maggards had good prices for me even with shipping. Was very happy with the pack I put together. If you can find Wilkinson Sword in a local drug store, they are good too. Sally's had Derby but I wasnt crazy about them. The prices will be higher than online but I did it anyway because I was ready to shave.

0 17
 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
I have found some in the Dollar stores... Family dollar and Dollar General.

Also CVS and Walgreens but very pricey.   Once in a while at a WMart.

some of the blade dealers on ebay ship quick!

Good luck

3 117
 02-17-2015, 04:02 PM
User Info
Maggards is a good choice for any of your wet shaving needs.  Otherwise, the better (subjective, I know) blades are available online and on eBay.  My preference is Personna Med Preps at robbinsinsturments.com

3 74
 02-17-2015, 04:28 PM
User Info
I was just in MalWart and saw a box containing the MICRO-TOUCH ONE twist-to-open razor as advertised by the fellow from the Las Vegas pawn shop television show. Right next to it on the shelf were packages of the MICRO TOUCH refill double edge blades, but no other choices for DE. I've no idea if they're any good, but you could swing by there too and have a peek.

One other thing they had was Cremo shaving cream. I'd bought a tube sometime ago and didn't care for it (not quite enough lather to suit me) but my wife adopted it and loves the stuff. The original Cremo has an orange scent. The newer pink version smells like piña colada.

All the earlier suggestions are good, but I am resigned to the fact that almost all the good stuff for traditional shaving is available to me only online....sigh
Euro

5 395
 02-20-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
+1 to the Amazon suggestion.  I recently bought a 45 blade sample pack (9 different manufacturers) for about ten dollars.  I got it with some other stuff, so shipping was free; however, it's a pretty small and light package so shipping on its own should be negligible.

3 11
 02-21-2015, 09:41 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-11-2015, 09:57 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: At least here in NYC, DE blades are hard to come by in brick-and-mortar stores. We're fortunate enough to have the specialty store, Pasteur's.

I have seen the chain drug stores carry blades here and there (Israeli-made under the chain's brand), but the prices are not good.

I agree. Not only are the prices high, but the quality isn't the same as those packaged under the Crystal brand name.

7 2,151