06-02-2012, 09:07 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Tonight I shaved with the PIF GEM push-button black-handle from churchilllafemme and it went pretty well!

(picture quality from my phone isn't the greatest)Blush
(adding churchilllafemme's photo from the PIF)

I watched a few YouTube videos of a couple different models, to try and understand what to expect.

Afterward, I showered, then shaved.

Result, a very clean DFS! .. not bad!

Impressions - well, the SE has advantages in fleshy areas (ear lobes, nose, etc) because I don't have to worry about catching my finger with the other side of the razor. It does a very efficient job at shaving. The handle on this particular model is very ergo-friendly and puts you into an excellent starting position for holding the razor.
The only part of the shave experience I didn't like was the cleanup. All those nooks and cranies!!! ARRRRRGH

Overall, I am confident this will remain in my rotation Cool

9 1,684
 06-03-2012, 03:07 AM
User Info
Congrats on you first SE shave! While I've not used that particular model I've read that it's pretty mild. If you like it but find it not efficient enough there are plent other more efficient SEs out there. Also, that shaving angle is almost built into these. Start out with the head flat against your skin & then slightly lower the handle to bring the upper half of the head just off of the skin. Try a few different angles around there until you find the sweet spot.

31 7,914
 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-03-2012, 03:07 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Congrats on you first SE shave! While I've not used that particular model I've read that it's pretty mild. If you like it but find it not efficient enough there are plent other more efficient SEs out there. Also, that shaving angle is almost built into these. Start out with the head flat against your skin & then slightly lower the handle to bring the upper half of the head just off of the skin. Try a few different angles around there until you find the sweet spot.
Thanks Brian Biggrin I appreciate your feedback on my GEM shaver. I do find it much easier to process the blade angle with a SE , since the blade is straight, and the head cap is generally in line with the blade.

9 1,684
 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
User Info
Congrats!

I find the angle to much easier to achieve with SE than with a DE. Or I did when I thought about such things. Now it's "just there" no matter what I use. It will be for you as well.

I never used a pushbutton... Is it a noisy razor in use? The sound I'm referring to is the sound of butter being spread on toast, and it'll be quite noticeable.

32 6,311
 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
I'm glad you're having fun with it, James.

185 12,010
 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-03-2012, 08:16 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Congrats!

I find the angle to much easier to achieve with SE than with a DE. Or I did when I thought about such things. Now it's "just there" no matter what I use. It will be for you as well.

I never used a pushbutton... Is it a noisy razor in use? The sound I'm referring to is the sound of butter being spread on toast, and it'll be quite noticeable.
it does provide that *sound of butter being spread on toast* when the angle is right Blush , I had to *think* at times to what I was doing to make sure I was *trimming* hair without *cutting* my face!

9 1,684
 06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
I love that sound! Some SE razors are noisier than others. I forget all about the great sound a razor will produce until the blade touches the beard, then it all comes back to me. "Ahh, great sound from this razor!".

32 6,311
 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
Congrats on the shave, James. Good luck with those SEs. They sure were not for me.

75 20,883
 06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
User Info
An old tooth brush works well cleaning the nooks and crannys of razors.

6 230
 06-03-2012, 12:58 PM
User Info
I received the 1912 from that batch from John. I haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Congrats, James!

9 1,199
 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-03-2012, 12:58 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I received the 1912 from that batch from John. I haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Congrats, James!
Biggrin
I will be looking for your post about your shave with it!

9 1,684
 06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a gem push, I used some Feather single edge blades on it. They are sharper and smoother than the GEM blades. you should try those.

1 265
 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM
User Info
Congrats on getting that first SE shave out of the way. I hope you continue to use this SE razor (and maybe others). They grow on you.

I love my DE's and straights, but I'll admit that I get my best shaves with SE razors. The OCMM, Clog Pruf and my LC's are all in my regular rotation, as are some other models.

At one time I gave up all my DE razors because I thought it was going to be SE all the way. However, I soon realized that my collecting bug was not to be quenched, so the DE's are back. Biggrin

Still love my SE's though.

37 1,731