01-11-2015, 04:07 PM
User Info
Is the AS D2 to mild to be a contender? For references my 46-47 Aristocrat is my favorite razor, wished it had a bit more weight. However I really enjoy the Weber PH w/ Bulldog handle. I may be a bit hung up on the Aristocrat, I say it is my favorite does not mean it is the best, I like my 1904 SB a ton also.

13 246
 01-11-2015, 06:11 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The Feather ASD2 is one of the VERY few DEs I regret selling. As a matter of fact, when I run across a good deal I'll be picking up another. I enjoy a wide range of razors with varying aggressiveness, and I did not find the Feather too mild. It is certainly on the mild end of the spectrum, but I still found it a very effective shaver that was incredibly smooth.

34 1,628
 01-11-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
The second mildest shaver I have ever tried after its predecessor, the AS-D1.
Maybe I should try it for 3rd time to see if my technique has improved. Biggrin
Good luck to you, Ron, as it may work out for you and you won't know it until you try it. You can usually find one, now, for a great price.

83 21,077
 01-11-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info
Yes, I was all set. I had tried every vintage to my liking and affordable new production I cared to try. In process of getting down to my final cut of the vintage and the 1904 that will always be in the mix. Going to become a minimalist I had decided, as far as razors go. Then these new age stainless Ferrari broke out, I have resisted for years and let the Weber in some how, price, never though I would get another Crystal to work again. But, I am letting the prices creep down have seen a few of the milder ones such as the ASD2 come down, just a bit scared to give it ago because of the mildness, but I love a Tech and a Feather so who am I. I might luck up and find an ATT cap and I would be in business. Yep I would certainly like to drive some of these Ferraris. One day I will have to grab one of those ASD2 surely at 90g they can do better than a Tech, but I would say they are a bit handle heavy and not balanced. The shape I am a Tech does just fine, half of my neck style can't fell a blade being 3 weeks post op ACDF, style enjoyed the Tuckaway today as we know each other well. I must say I am proud to have ATT up there in the great State of Franklin as a representative of our state. any one want to add to the discussion of the ASD2, blade gap, exposure, and balance discussions I would appreciate. As I understand it i have plenty of time.

13 246
 01-11-2015, 09:59 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
You might wanna read this review

I find it a very good razor, mild but effective, can be found for a reasonable price (there have been a few massdrop actions).

28 1,442
 01-11-2015, 10:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is my favorite DE razor. If I want something more aggressive I use my Merkur 37C or 39C Slant. The AS-D2 is the only conventional DE I own.

178 23,807
 01-11-2015, 10:58 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I loved mine but it wasn't getting much love after I shifted to straights. Sold it to a friend who was looking for something mild but effective.

Really smooth shaver once its angle becomes second nature to you. A week of using it exclusively was enough for me to develop the needed muscle memory. It had no difficulty giving me a really good shave, whether I had a day's growth or three.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 01-12-2015, 02:27 AM
User Info
Bluetips are a nice change of pace if you've been using an aggressive razor.

0 27
 01-12-2015, 03:04 AM
  • MPH
  • UK
User Info
The as-d2 is my favourite razor. It is mild I.e. you would struggle to cut yourself, but it shaves just as close as any other razor I have tried. It is just very effective without the danger!

I suspect some don't like it because they like the danger of a razor that will take your face off if you make a mistake! I on the other hand have always preferred the milder types.

I believe there is another massdrop deal on right now. If I didn't already have one I would buy one!!!

Matt

1 178
 01-12-2015, 06:52 AM
User Info
My AS-D2 is a magnificent razor. I wouldn't confuse the word "mild" with "inefficient". This razor, which I love to combine with a Feather blade, mows down the stubble. I can't recommend this razor enough.

39 3,918
 01-12-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
(01-11-2015, 09:59 PM)Snuff Wrote: You might wanna read this review

I find it a very good razor, mild but effective, can be found for a reasonable price (there have been a few massdrop actions).

Thanks for the link. Certainly helped clarify my decision. Yes, the drop sparked the conversation.

13 246
 01-12-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
I bought the AS-D2S (Last 'S' is for Stand, so it includes the Stand) a few months ago.
I find it very mild and it requires more passes than some of my newer/other more 'aggressive' razors, but I also think it is best to NOT sell something too quickly. My technique (as most shavers, especially new ones) is constantly improving, and THAT is also an important factor. Prices have also dropped on this razor, so selling it for what I paid for it will be impossible right now.
So, I'm keeping it got now and may try using it again soon.
Right now it is getting used by my girlfriend (To shave her legs), so it is still 'in the rotation' ... well , kind of!

JAY

47 407
 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM
User Info
I sold mine about 6 months ago and regretted it almost immediately. I always got very smooth and close shaves with it so why I sold it is a mystery. Fortunately nice used ones come up often and I replaced it recently. Glad to have it back.

44 486