01-12-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
I have been doing this DE thing for a couple of months now and have tried 2 blade brands and 2 razors. Seeing the differences between them has me really wanting one of everything now. I don't mean every razor ever made I mean one each of every major category. So if you had to break down the categories of gear into major types, does this sound about right?

For razors: standard 3 piece, TTO, adjustable, slant
For brushes: Horse, boar, badger, synthetic

If you have some specific budget gear to suggest, let me know. I dont want to spend much in case it just int for me. For instance, I started with a Remei 3 piece and VHD kit with brush, mug etc. That was enough to tell me I was in the DE shaver game for the long haul. And when I gave an EJ DE89 a shot, well I knew the AD thing was going to be a problem. So if there is a solid TTO, slant, or variable in the sub $15 range that isnt a pure piece of hot trash and you would actually shave with it on occasion, let me know. I think I am getting an Omega for my first boar and there is a Body Shop near me so that might be my try at a synth brush. Horse Hair, I have seen a couple of options and Badger...well damn, there are tons and I am not really sure but Whipped Dog looks nice.

0 17
 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM
User Info
For razors, you've forgotten open comb. If you can find a NEW for under $15 - certainly possible, I've seen them go for that for shaver grade - it's one of the better shavers.

You may also be able to find a basic Superspeed (TTO) for around that. It's a very nice shaver, though I think the NEW is better.

The only way you'd find an adjustable or slant for under $15 is if you got lucky at an antique store, estate sale, or the like.

On brushes, I really don't like horse hair and I've tried both all-horsehair and mixed. Too scritchy and I like scritchy brushes. You might consider a Semogue boar, there are lots of options and I love mine. I'd take that over a Whipped Dog knot.

12 1,247
 01-12-2015, 07:33 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook .. we look forward to your involvement here.

Please take a moment to post a little about yourself in the Introductions area.

102 18,669
 01-12-2015, 07:38 AM
User Info
Don't forget the odd ones out.. like Cadet's twist-to-open open-combs. And one manufactures three piece can be a very different beast than one of a different brand... I'm not sure if just one of every category is enough. And then you have the option of materials too - steel, brass, potmetal, bakelite, thermoplastic... yeah, I feel my own RAD starting to wake up again Wink

Unlike Steve, I do like my horse hair brushes... both pure horse and mixed horse-badger. Kind of wish someone (preferable Vie Long - I like their handles) would make a mixed horse-boar... would buy one in a heartbeat Biggrin The mixed badger-boar I got is also a wonderbar brush, and one I can recommend.

As far as recommendation, best I can offer if you're on a budget (like me) is to look into Cadet razors - they have three piece, TTO and OC that are nice - as well as keeping an eye on the B/S/T. Buying from places like Turkey can also be cheap, even if you usually get what you pay for.

3 4,684
 01-12-2015, 08:14 AM
User Info
(01-12-2015, 07:38 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Don't forget the odd ones out.. like Cadet's twist-to-open open-combs. And one manufactures three piece can be a very different beast than one of a different brand... I'm not sure if just one of every category is enough. And then you have the option of materials too - steel, brass, potmetal, bakelite, thermoplastic... yeah, I feel my own RAD starting to wake up again Wink

Oh yeah, I left out some combinations one out intentionally - otherwise you've got things like open comb slants/adjustable slants/adjustable OC slant with a red dot Rolleyes/floating head/etc. Materials is another thing because there's also the various platings like silver, gold, chrome, rhodium... not to mention the newer ones like rose gold and black rhodium.

The OC TTO from Cadet is a good idea, since you'd knock out two things you want at once and it's reasonably priced.

Cheapest slant is probably the 37C/39C. Or you can get the iKon slant head for ~$50 and put that on your EJ handle (I think it should fit but look at the Slant thread), supposedly it's better and it's only a few dollars more new.

12 1,247
 01-12-2015, 08:17 AM
User Info
Fwiw, I don't care for synthetics but if you limited yourself to one of each category (bath and body synth for example) to try out you may be missing something that really works for you.

As has been mentioned, Keep your eyes on the BST items.

Good luck with the AD Biggrin

31 1,800
 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
(01-12-2015, 07:38 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Unlike Steve, I do like my horse hair brushes... both pure horse and mixed horse-badger. Kind of wish someone (preferable Vie Long - I like their handles) would make a mixed horse-boar... would buy one in a heartbeat Biggrin The mixed badger-boar I got is also a wonderbar brush, and one I can recommend.

The Vie Long is the horsehair I have in mind.

(01-12-2015, 08:14 AM)insomniac Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 07:38 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Don't forget the odd ones out.. like Cadet's twist-to-open open-combs. And one manufactures three piece can be a very different beast than one of a different brand... I'm not sure if just one of every category is enough. And then you have the option of materials too - steel, brass, potmetal, bakelite, thermoplastic... yeah, I feel my own RAD starting to wake up again Wink

Oh yeah, I left out some combinations one out intentionally - otherwise you've got things like open comb slants/adjustable slants/adjustable OC slant with a red dot Rolleyes/floating head/etc. Materials is another thing because there's also the various platings like silver, gold, chrome, rhodium... not to mention the newer ones like rose gold and black rhodium.

The OC TTO from Cadet is a good idea, since you'd knock out two things you want at once and it's reasonably priced.

Cheapest slant is probably the 37C/39C. Or you can get the iKon slant head for ~$50 and put that on your EJ handle (I think it should fit but look at the Slant thread), supposedly it's better and it's only a few dollars more new.

you guys...don't make it worse for me Biggrin
I like the idea of the OC TTO. Would let me maybe put some of that budget elsewhere like the slant. I am also really tempted to get my hands on a muhle r41 just because of the buzz associated. Plus having one mild and one very aggressive razor would give me useful variety. I have considered the head only option too. I wouldnt mind at all.

(01-12-2015, 08:17 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Fwiw, I don't care for synthetics but if you limited yourself to one of each category (bath and body synth for example) to try out you may be missing something that really works for you.

As has been mentioned, Keep your eyes on the BST items.

Good luck with the AD Biggrin

yeah, I can understand that. I am trying to do some good research that will get me a solid performer to start out with. If I hate it then maybe I don't pursue that line. But if it is even just OK it will be enough for me to look into a similar alternative I think.

0 17
 01-12-2015, 10:55 AM
User Info
(01-12-2015, 10:31 AM)IDvsEGO Wrote: you guys...don't make it worse for me Biggrin
I like the idea of the OC TTO. Would let me maybe put some of that budget elsewhere like the slant. I am also really tempted to get my hands on a muhle r41 just because of the buzz associated. Plus having one mild and one very aggressive razor would give me useful variety. I have considered the head only option too. I wouldnt mind at all.

Have to get worse before you get any better Tongue

The Cadet OC TTO (I got mine from Shave A Buck) is a lovely razor, but it's a very different beast from my other TTOs or OCs... and my Cadet OC is much more aggressive then my Merkur OCs, just like my Gillette Superspeed is a gentler creature than my Parker 22R.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if you've get "one of each", that isn't going to be a representative sample. You might be better off getting a spread of razors from mild to aggressive, regardless of if it's various styles or not. At least for starters, that is Smile

And then there is the soft goods; soaps, balms and aftershaves... now that can be a time sink - there are so many great products available, most of which wont break the bank.

I would recommend getting a slant regardless though... everyone needs a sledgehammer at times Biggrin

3 4,684
 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
(01-12-2015, 10:55 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: You might be better off getting a spread of razors from mild to aggressive, regardless of if it's various styles or not. At least for starters, that is Smile

And then there is the soft goods; soaps, balms and aftershaves... now that can be a time sink - there are so many great products available, most of which wont break the bank.

I would recommend getting a slant regardless though... everyone needs a sledgehammer at times Biggrin

Hmmm...the idea about aggression levels is probably a better way to approach it. I may need to rethink that.

soft good...yeah, I know. I am leaving that for a whole other time. I have some stuff I like and have been doing some samples too.

I have to do some reading on the pro/cons of a slant. I know what htey are but not what difference they make.

0 17
 01-12-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
(01-12-2015, 11:19 AM)IDvsEGO Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 10:55 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: You might be better off getting a spread of razors from mild to aggressive, regardless of if it's various styles or not. At least for starters, that is Smile

Hmmm...the idea about aggression levels is probably a better way to approach it. I may need to rethink that.

soft good...yeah, I know. I am leaving that for a whole other time. I have some stuff I like and have been doing some samples too.

I have to do some reading on the pro/cons of a slant. I know what htey are but not what difference they make.

This thread is a good place to start reading up on slants.

3 4,684
 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM
User Info
Read the first post and I am sold on the concept. I think a slant will be my next unless I stumble on a great r41 deal. Mercur 37c or 39c seem to be the budget friendly options but just getting started on the hunt. Maybe I find some quality slant heads and just swap handles.

0 17
 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
As far as I know the 37C and 39C differs only in the length of the handle - I love my 39C Biggrin

3 4,684
 01-13-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
I am now eyeing that maggards slant thread.

0 17
 01-19-2015, 05:29 PM
User Info
wait till it really sets in lol. i have literally tried almost every blade out there now. i think maybe just 4 or 5 total i have not tried now. i have been through so many blades its insane but you know this type of shaving saves me money..... i actually tried to narrow things down with my blades and de razors and then sbad set it now i have a whole shelf full of brushes with no end in sight to what i want to try out. its kind of funny i have a friend who curses me but thanks me at the same time. he loves de shaving but curses me for all the money he has now spent on it. Angel

16 660