01-14-2015, 07:39 AM
User Info
We(Mary Lou and I) have had the chance to try a few of Noodlers inks. The first ink we tried was Bay State Blue. This is ML's favorite color ink. She loved the color and performance. But it heavily stained the pen she used it in. A web search shows reported problems with some colors of Noodlers. Reported problems include staining, flow issues and clogging. Rather than risk a pen ML decided to not use BSB.

For Christmas ML received a Noodlers Konrad fountain pen. This pen was intended to be solely used with Noodlers BSB ink. A 4 ounce bottle went with the pen. The BIG bottle since ML likes the color so much. A free Noodlers eyedropper pen came with the bottle of ink. She has had no issues and enjoys both the Konrad pen and the BSB ink.

I got a sample of Noodlers Rochmaninoff ink. This is a hot pink florescent, bright (you need sunglasses) ink. I wanted it expressly to write to a niece of mine who loves hot pink. I loaded a Sailor Reglus with the ink. I barely got past the letter's salutation and I had flow problems. I turned the converters knob to force more ink to the nib. This allowed an additional sentence before all flow stopped. I emptied the ink back to the sample vial and cleaned/flush the Reglus. Subsequent inking of the pen with a different ink shows the pen to be fine.

Idea I thought that the Noodlers ink should be compatible with the Noodler pen so I inked the free pen mentioned above. It wrote nicely. The ink handled well and the color dazzling. I used Franklin Christoph paper (great stuff) and it has a pinkish tinge to it. Mated with the pink ink and it looked great. I wrote a full sheet on both sides. On the second sheet the pen flow slowed and stopped within 2 lines of writing. Eyedropper pens do not have a converter so no plunger to force ink to the tip. The flow refused to resume. Clogged I guess.

I emptied the ink down the sink. I cleaned the pen. No staining issues.

Regrettably I will no longer be trying Noodlers inks. I realize two inks make a small sample set. My pens are too dear to me to risk. Even if the only issue is flow problems it is frustrating to deal with.

Has any one else had success and/or trouble with this brand?

7 363
 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have had more success than failure with Noodler's inks but, frankly, don't use them as often as I do others. Diamine, J. Herbin, and Pilot Iroshizuku are probably the inks I use most often. They also give me the least problems across various pens, filling systems, and nibs.

One of my favorite Noodler's inks is American Eel Black. It is waterproof so is great for addressing envelopes or writing checks. In all fairness, though, that is about the only time I use it. Like you, Phil, I enjoy the "fun" colors. Winky

2 11,211
 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM
User Info
I use the American Black Eel Noodler's and have several other colors from this company. Staining of the converters and clogging have been a problem. I don't use Noodler's as much as I did in the beginning of my fountain pen journey. As much as I enjoy the colors, it's not worth wrecking a pen over.

1 346
 01-14-2015, 03:41 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Have you seen that Goulet Pens is having a sale on some of their Diamine inks, two pages worth? http://www.gouletpens.com/sale-items/c/6...egoryId=65

2 11,211
 01-14-2015, 04:23 PM
User Info
Pam and Freddy. Thanks for the input. Thanks for the sale link Freddy

An update. We had many more samples of Noodlers than I realized. These are some of the findings after checking with ML and Amy (ASax23).

Rome Burning - stained Amy's converter. I used it and liked the color and performance and did not have a staining issue.

Blue Eel - stained one of ML's converter BUT did not stain another.

Air Corp - I currently have this in a Visconti Michelangelo. This nib is a fine but writes more like a medium. The Air Corp is very very wet and gives this left-handed writer lots of trouble. It takes forever to dry. This is the only Noodlers ink that I had lefty issues with.

Dragon Napalm - A brilliant orange that is my mom's favorite color. I noticed skipping issues recently. I attributed it to the new stationery I received for Christmas. I just tested on 2 other papers and it still skips. So I emptied and cleaned the pen.

We have used Blue, Liberty Elysium and Bernake Blue with no issues.

Our choice is to forego the lovely colors and not risk our pens.
ML quoted her mothers old adage for food "When in doubt, throw it out!" We just discarded 10 sample vials of Noodlers - 4 of them never even usedSad

7 363
 01-14-2015, 05:01 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Wow! That is a shame. Better safe than sorry, though. It has to work for the user and no one else, in my opinion.

I'm thinking of one or two of those Diamine inks. Blush

2 11,211
 01-15-2015, 06:56 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(01-14-2015, 07:39 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Has any one else had success and/or trouble with this brand?

I have been using Noodlers Black daily since November in a Lamy Safari EF. No issues with flow so far. Hope to use it upSmile

61 4,621
 01-15-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
I'm definitely not an expert with FP's or ink, but the Noodlers I've used I've really liked. My favorite has been Antietam - Unfortunately named, it looks exactly like blood if you let it soak into a paper towel. I use red in for marking up drawings at work all the time, and this is what I use in my Lamy Al-Star. I once lost the pen for a couple of months and when I found it, the ink flowed like I had been using it daily.

I just looked at 4 of my 5 inks are noodler's. I need to expand my horizons a bit!

0 836
 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-15-2015, 08:08 AM)5Savages Wrote: I'm definitely not an expert with FP's or ink, but the Noodlers I've used I've really liked. My favorite has been Antietam - Unfortunately named, it looks exactly like blood if you let it soak into a paper towel. I use red in for marking up drawings at work all the time, and this is what I use in my Lamy Al-Star. I once lost the pen for a couple of months and when I found it, the ink flowed like I had been using it daily.

I just looked at 4 of my 5 inks are noodler's. I need to expand my horizons a bit!

Antietam is probably my favorite Noodler's ink. Like you, Pat, I have had no problems with it and the shading is absolutely amazing.

2 11,211
 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
(01-15-2015, 08:17 AM)freddy Wrote: Antietam is probably my favorite Noodler's ink. Like you, Pat, I have had no problems with it and the shading is absolutely amazing.

My only problem with it is that it looks so much like blood that after I refill my pen at work and wipe everything down with a paper towel, the towel looks a bit nasty in the garbage so I usually try to push it down towards the bottom of the trash. Who knows what the janitor thinks when he empties it.

0 836
 01-15-2015, 01:17 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-15-2015, 08:45 AM)5Savages Wrote:
(01-15-2015, 08:17 AM)freddy Wrote: Antietam is probably my favorite Noodler's ink. Like you, Pat, I have had no problems with it and the shading is absolutely amazing.

My only problem with it is that it looks so much like blood that after I refill my pen at work and wipe everything down with a paper towel, the towel looks a bit nasty in the garbage so I usually try to push it down towards the bottom of the trash. Who knows what the janitor thinks when he empties it.

I think it looks too orange to be blood. To me, a blood looking ink is something like Diamine Oxblood or P.W. Akkerman Garuda Rood, both of which I have and love. Private Reserve does a great ink in that vein called Vampire Blood. Unfortunately, the ink clogs the pen. As much as I really like the color it is the worst Private Reserve ink I have ever used. Sad

2 11,211
 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a number of Noodler's inks and have found them to be excellent. I have had no more problems with them than with other brands. There are certain colors that are problematic, but they are easily avoided (I would not use Bay State Blue for sure).
Other favorite brands are Private Reserve, Diamine, Iroshizuku, and Rohrer and Klingner.

60 849