05-16-2017, 06:36 PM
User Info
That brush is really nice. If it lathers half as good as it looks your in for a treat... I'm jealous ?

3 69
 05-16-2017, 07:01 PM
User Info
Wow. That is sharp Barry.

I really like it. I mean, I haven't seen a brush that piqued my interest like that in a while. I wish I could get one. I don't understand how to order or contact him though. I'm not really interested in bugging him either or waiting 6 months.

I hope it gives you years of enjoyment and good performance!

7 1,196
 05-17-2017, 07:15 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
First shave report:
To answer your question. I waited a year for this brush and I had to bug Florian  (gently) the last 4 months. It was worth it from my perspective.
Pre-shave I conditioned the brush:
1. Soaked the brush for 1/2 hour in Borax and warm water. Then rinsed the brush thoroughly
2. Soaked brush in CO Bigalow Bay Rum body soap and warm water 1/2 hour
3. Finally, Soaked brush in my wife's hair conditioner and warm water for 5 minutes. Never do this step for any longer than 5 minutes.
4. Rinse very well and let the brush dry overnight.
The brush bloomed beautifully. Here are 2 pictures.
[Image: hd0TPMZ.jpg][Image: 4lSieYr.jpg]

The brush bloomed beautifully. The first thing that strikes you about this brush is how ergonomically the handle is designed. I have small hands and some arthritis in both hands. I am most comfortable using a 24 mm brush and smaller than the big heavier brushes. This brush is 28 mm and as soon as I saw it I thought this brush was going to be too big and heavy for me. However, as soon as I held it by the handle I realized the brush was so well balanced and comfortable that it's size and weight were no problem at all.
While soaping up the brush I worried that it was a soap hog. I kept soaping the brush and the soap kept disappearing. It turns out that again I am not used to using such a large brush and this need for large quantity of soap is just inherent in the large size of the brush. I proceeded to use a combination of bowl lathering and face lathering. That is I whipped up some lather in a bowl but not quite ready to apply to the face. I applied it to my face and completed the task as a face lather. 
The brush gave up the lather easily with excellent flow through. I did a 3 pass shave and at the end of the third pass there was still enough soap to do at least another 2 or 3 passes. Guess I just have to get used to a large brush. 
The brush had enough backbone to do a great face lather. The tips of the brush however were no where near soft enough to please me. I tend to like soft brushes with gel tips. I know the brush will break in and probably be a keeper.
I keep my brushes in an old stamp holder. Each tier holds 8 brushes. As you go down the tiers the brushes place denotes my rating of the brush . The brushes at the bottom are seldom used. So far this brush deserved to be somewhere between number 9 and number 16

66 1,005
 05-20-2017, 11:00 PM
User Info
damn…this thread is making me want a second….my knight is 28mm

anyone know if florian does 24mm or 26mm in white badger?

1 107
 05-21-2017, 06:23 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
He makes a bunch of 26 mm but no 24mm.
26mm brushes
Barber basket captain flagon Keyhive marshall and Vase

66 1,005
 05-21-2017, 12:44 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Third shave with The Knight. Brush has broken in. Ends split soft soft tips. Brush moved up to top tier Top 8 of my brushes. Tomorrows shave Charcoal razor, Feather blade, The knight, Dark Lime Meissner Soap and Dark lime aftershave.

66 1,005
 05-21-2017, 01:03 PM
User Info
Sounds like a SOTD picture is in order Barry.

41 4,559