01-14-2015, 11:15 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Ever since Emanuel posted this, I had wished to add one of those stunning handles to my collection...

Then last May (2014) I placed an order for four of them (via jerusalem_products).

What I actually received...

[Image: O9U3bwh.jpg]

(Five) Bethlehem Olivewood shaving brush handles

[Image: NvLwjnw.jpg]

[Image: 8mzhrKv.jpg]

I contacted jerusalem_products and informed them they had sent one extra handle, which I hadn't paid for, therefore felt I should either return it, or pay for it.

Their response, please keep it, a (free) gift from us to you. I therefore cannot recommend jerusalem_products highly enough.

With a spare handle laying around, I decided to contact gijames and offer him the handle (free of charge)...

Three of the handles were earmarked as gifts, the remaining one was for my collection.

One of the three (gifts) was going out west to freddy, the other two (gifts) heading east - across the pond to a couple of friends in the UK.

Before sending them off, knots needs to be ordered (from TGN), installed, etc.

Speaking with gijames, we decided to go with 24mm Finest F2 knots... Long story, short version, "BIG! MISTAKE" (refer here for a little more info).

For the one going off to freddy, I decided against a Finest F2 (2-Band) knot because of this shaving brush. Instead I settled on a TGN 22mm Super Silvertip knot -- handle had a 24mm knot hole diameter and I didn't feel there was enough material (room) to widen the hole enough for a 24mm knot...

[Image: 2PFIp3O.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Freddy" shaving brush handle

After receiving 8 coats of wipe on poly

[Image: tKxGJNh.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Freddy" shaving brush handle

[Image: vJw6Px8.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Freddy" shaving brush handle & 22mm Super Silvertip badger knot

Height: 108mm / Loft: 48mm / Base: 60mm / Knot: 22mm / Knot hole diameter: 24mm / Knot hole depth: 21mm without pennies installed / Knot hole depth: 17mm with two 1973 pennies installed

[Image: vmMjFYm.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Freddy" shaving brush handle & 22mm Super Silvertip badger knot

Height: 108mm / Loft: 48mm / Base: 60mm / Knot: 22mm / Knot hole diameter: 24mm / Knot hole depth: 21mm without pennies installed / Knot hole depth: 17mm with two 1973 pennies installed

[Image: dLOIbiJ.jpg]

For the two heading off east (across the pond), 24mm Finest F2 knots (should've listened to my gut when I first laid my eyes on those 24mm Finest F2 knots) were installed in 25.5mm diameter knot holes...

[Image: oEYMKRs.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Garth" shaving brush handle

[Image: HHWBKRy.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Garth" shaving brush handle

[Image: vTqbSq7.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Garth" shaving brush handle & 24mm Finest F2 badger knot

[Image: QyduZPe.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Garth" shaving brush handle & 24mm Finest F2 badger knot

Height: 110mm / Loft: 50mm / Base: 60mm / Knot: 24mm / Knot hole diameter: 25.5mm / Knot hole depth: 21mm without pennies installed / Knot hole depth: 17mm with two 1973 pennies installed

[Image: blj4HD5.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Robin" shaving brush handle

[Image: 7JygNuF.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Robin" shaving brush handle & 24mm Finest F2 badger knot

[Image: qzUBfCw.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Robin" shaving brush handle & 24mm Finest F2 badger knot

Height: 110mm / Loft: 50mm / Base: 60mm / Knot: 24mm / Knot hole diameter: 25.5mm / Knot hole depth: 21mm without pennies installed / Knot hole depth: 17mm with two 1973 pennies installed

For the one I was keeping for myself, I initially installed a 24mm Finest F2 knot (Long story, short version, "BIG! MISTAKE" refer here for a little more info. Plus, I should've listened to my gut when I first laid my eyes on those 24mm Finest F2 knots.)

I did use the assembled brush (with a 24mm Finest F2 knot) 17 times before finally! deciding the knot really wasn't to my liking... Therefore I do believe (rightly or wrongly), I had given the 24mm Finest F2 knot a fair chance to change my initial impressions, thoughts on it...

Once I had finally! made the decision to replace the 24mm Finest F2 knot, I opted to go with a 24mm Super Finest knot, mainly due to my good experience with the couple of 22mm Super Finest knots I had installed in these brush handles...

[Image: p21CBxV.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "Mike" shaving brush handle & 24mm Super Finest badger knot

[Image: FONKhY1.jpg]

[Image: jvzvfMf.jpg]

Height: 112mm / Loft: 52mm / Base: 60mm / Knot: 24mm / Knot hole diameter: 25.5mm / Knot hole depth: 21mm without pennies installed / Knot hole depth: 17mm with two 1971 pennies installed

[Image: whhGukm.jpg]

Height: 112mm / Loft: 52mm / Base: 60mm / Knot: 24mm / Knot hole diameter: 25.5mm / Knot hole depth: 21mm without pennies installed / Knot hole depth: 17mm with two 1971 pennies installed

[Image: RC0PjDn.jpg]

And finally, a couple of the photos showing the handle (and knot) that went off to gijames for assembly...

[Image: FxDOzwl.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "James" shaving brush handle

[Image: 8EC3YmN.jpg]

Bethlehem Olivewood "James" shaving brush handle & 24mm Finest F2 badger knot

The End.

23 1,872
 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I LOVE this brush that Mike surprised me with. In fact, of all my brushes (and I have 22 in my bathroom plus a few others floating around Blush ), four of the most used have associations with Mike. One is the brush shown here, two are reknots he did for me, and one is a synthetic recommendation he gave me, via gijames. (Thanks, James. Smile )

[Image: 6KHocGs.jpg]
From left to right: Plisson Pour L'Occitane synthetic; No-name brush reknotted with TGN knot; Bethlehem Olive Wood brush with TGN knot (the one Mike shows on this thread); Century 4 brush reknoted with TGN fan knot. I call these four my "Mike's Brushes". Biggrin

2 11,211
 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Mike and the brush looks great! Smile

83 21,077
 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice brushes.

178 23,807
 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Very nice write up Mike. I've looked at those handles on Ebay a few times. It might be time to try my hand at brush assembling.

8 1,356
 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM
User Info
ive been eying these handles for a while how is the initial finish on them when you got them?

16 660
 01-15-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
Very nice Brushes Mike good job.

3 401
 01-15-2015, 09:31 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-14-2015, 11:41 AM)freddy Wrote: [Image: 6KHocGs.jpg]
From left to right: Plisson Pour L'Occitane synthetic; No-name brush reknotted with TGN knot; Bethlehem Olive Wood brush with TGN knot (the one Mike shows on this thread); Century 4 brush reknoted with TGN fan knot.

Hi Freddy

It might be my eyesight, or it could be the angle at which the photo is taken, but I have to say the knots in the "No-name brush" and "Century 4" look very askew to me... Though I really hope that is not the case.

Take care, Mike

(01-14-2015, 07:06 PM)mastershake Wrote: ive been eying these handles for a while how is the initial finish on them when you got them?

Hi

It is ok! though definitely not *perfect*, but then again I personally wouldn't expect *perfect* for $10 to $12 a handle...

I lightly knocked back the finish that was on them (didn't totally remove it), then wiped on 8 coats of wipe on poly (clear, satin finish).

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed my poor grammar.

23 1,872
 01-15-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
oh my, nature's version of a resin done more beautifully. these will be cherished I am sure. thanks for the great photos mike

73 1,295
 01-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-15-2015, 12:10 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: oh my, nature's version of a resin done more beautifully. these will be cherished I am sure. thanks for the great photos mike

Mine is absolutely cherished, Dave, and not least because it was a gift from someone who took the time to do this for me. In fact, I used the Bethlehem Olivewood brush today and fell in love with it all over again. Winky

2 11,211
 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-15-2015, 09:31 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-14-2015, 11:41 AM)freddy Wrote: [Image: 6KHocGs.jpg]
From left to right: Plisson Pour L'Occitane synthetic; No-name brush reknotted with TGN knot; Bethlehem Olive Wood brush with TGN knot (the one Mike shows on this thread); Century 4 brush reknoted with TGN fan knot.

Hi Freddy

It might be my eyesight, or it could be the angle at which the photo is taken, but I have to say the knots in the "No-name brush" and "Century 4" look very askew to me... Though I really hope that is not the case.

Take care, Mike

Mike, as you know we spoke on the phone today but for others, no, they are not askew. The only thing I can think of is the angle of the photo. They all look fine and all of those brushes are tops when it comes to producing lather and face feel. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 01-15-2015, 01:24 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Those are absolutely beautiful!

2 1,683
 01-15-2015, 11:24 PM
User Info
nice thanks im going to order a few to try out.

16 660
 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-15-2015, 12:10 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: oh my, nature's version of a resin done more beautifully.

Hi

Beautifully put Clap

Mother Nature, often imitated, *never* bettered.

Gents, thank you for kind words. I believe all five of the handles have gone to very good homes, where they are truly appreciated...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-16-2015, 11:03 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(01-16-2015, 10:24 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-15-2015, 12:10 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: oh my, nature's version of a resin done more beautifully.

Hi

Beautifully put Clap

Mother Nature, often imitated, *never* bettered.

Gents, thank you for kind words. I believe all five of the handles have gone to very good homes, where they are truly appreciated...

Take care, Mike

Absolutely appreciated!
I use mine at least once every few weeks... I have a few brushes to rotate through Biggrin

9 1,684