01-15-2015, 03:55 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
I like large brushes. I own a Vulfix 2336 super, but I find it to prickly at the tips. I heard the Vulfix super is compared to Simpson's best badger. Are they much difference in softness with the Chubby 3super 3 band compared to chubby 3best? Which Is a all around a better brush Chubby 2 or chubby 3? Super or best? Two band or Three band?

0 80
 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
Chubby 2 is a great size knot in my opinion.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the offerings that Simpsons have put forward they are all great. The problem is they are all on the expensive side, no matter which you choose. However I must say they are worth every penny. It just takes awhile to earn up those pennies to spend on one Wink
My personal preference goes as follows: Manchurian -> Two band -> Three band Super -> Best

73 2,200
 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
User Info
(01-15-2015, 06:12 PM)merkur man Wrote: Chubby 2 is a great size knot in my opinion.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the offerings that Simpsons have put forward they are all great. The problem is they are all on the expensive side, no matter which you choose. However I must say they are worth every penny. It just takes awhile to earn up those pennies to spend on one Wink
My personal preference goes as follows: Manchurian -> Two band -> Three band Super -> Best

+1 - listen to this man when it comes to brushes! if you ever saw what he has in his collection you would be shocked

57 273
 01-15-2015, 08:16 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-15-2015, 06:12 PM)merkur man Wrote: Chubby 2 is a great size knot in my opinion.
How good does a Chubby 3 super 3 band lather?

0 80
 01-16-2015, 02:41 AM
User Info
(01-15-2015, 08:16 PM)Slim Wrote:
How good does a Chubby 3 super 3 band lather?

You will find that it lathers beautifully and has a nice, soft face feel. 3 band super badger does not tend to release the lather as well as any of the other hair types. This is due to the smaller diameter hair used in 3 band super and the densely packed knot. All in all, I think you'll probably love it especially if you like bigger brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,200
 01-16-2015, 09:05 AM
User Info
Chubby 2 Super would be my choice. Good luck and have fun!

82 21,056
 01-16-2015, 10:25 PM
User Info
As said before, I repeat: Best is always Best, especially compared to 3-Band Super Biggrin

24 5,850
 01-16-2015, 10:35 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
[Image: sSSj1Hk.jpg]

Did you use a 3-band Super Chubby? Hands down prefer your old brush now!

10 753
 01-17-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
(01-16-2015, 10:35 PM)grantmm Wrote: [Image: sSSj1Hk.jpg]

Did you use a 3-band Super Chubby? Hands down prefer your old brush now!

I owned a CH2 3 Band shortly, but sold it.

I prfer Best over 3-Band, especially my limited edition Best Ch2 from mark.

But 2-Band will always be my preferred Simpson hair, just in front of Manchurian, Grant.

I still own a Ch2 in 2-band, with a jade colored handle.
It's my favorite Simpson brush ever.

24 5,850
 01-22-2015, 01:25 AM
User Info
(01-15-2015, 03:55 PM)Slim Wrote: I like large brushes. I own a Vulfix 2336 super, but I find it to prickly at the tips. I heard the Vulfix super is compared to Simpson's best badger. Are they much difference in softness with the Chubby 3super 3 band compared to chubby 3best? Which Is a all around a better brush Chubby 2 or chubby 3? Super or best?  Two band or Three band?

Hi Slim,

Go the Chubby in either 2 band or 3 band super, I would actually recommend 2 band because it's soft and if you don't like it for any reason it will be easy to sell on BST without taking too much of a bath (I doubt you would want to sell it though). Manchurian is also a good hair for the Chubby, but is a little firm given there is so much hair packed into the knot.

Best tends to work 'best' in smaller knots, like the Berkley or the Duke 2. I had the Chubby 2 in best and found it way too scratchy. 

The Chubby 2 is large but a good size, I haven't tried the Chubby 3 however it looks much larger. 

Good luck with your choice!!

Michael  

P.S. I would strongly consider the Chubby 2 in Synthetic. I used it this morning and it whips up a lather in no time. It also drys super fast, which is great for winter weather.

23 474
 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM
User Info
I have a ch3 super which is great. Kind of excessive but it depends what you want ch2 is great also but i liked super over best

0 98
 01-22-2015, 08:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Current Best features soft tips, however Super will still feel softer.
Super (3 band) will have greater density and splay making it feel larger than the other hair grades, but it has reduced flow through and backbone.
Current SilverTip (aka 2 band Super) boasts the softest tips of all the hair grades, but is difficult to source.

CH2 is an approachable brush for most users.
CH3 is a BIG brush and can be overwhelming for some users.

The Vulfix 2236 has a 26mm knot.
CH2 Best generally has a 28mm knot (Super can often be larger at 29mm, as a result of a densely stuffed knot).
CH3 Best generally has a 30mm knot (Super can often be larger at 31mm, as a result of a densely stuffed knot).

In an effort to answer your question(s), Best features decent backbone and tip softness. The CH2 Best will feel larger on the face compared to your Vulfix, but may offer a similar experience in terms of tip softness. Super (3 band) features softer tips, greater density and the most splay, but less backbone and flow through. SilverTip (aka 2 band Super) boasts the softest tips and the best backbone and flow through. So many might argue SilverTip is the best, however value for money wise Best is hard to overlook, but if you are after tip softness (above all else) and are unable to source or fund SilverTip, then Super is not a bad compromise. As for size, the CH2 is more common and appeals to a wider user group, but is not a large brush (by my standards).

Brush selection comes down to personal preference. Utilise the facts offered in the replies (here and above) and then apply your preferences (and budget) to make the correct selection.

In the interim enjoy a couple of pics of my Chubby brushes (both past and present)...

[Image: B0fGfpj.png]

[Image: qCQ23Td.png]

99 18,011
 01-23-2015, 01:47 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Great summary and gorgeous Chubbies, Ben!

35 1,808
 01-23-2015, 05:04 AM
User Info
Ben, thanks for your explanation ( and thanks to everybody else). I have enjoyed this thread and the pictures immensely. I have several Simpsons brushes already, but no Chubby. This will have to be corrected soon!  Quick question, is the two band Silvertip (2 band Super) that you mention similar to the Manchurian?

Kevin

9 137
 01-23-2015, 06:30 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-23-2015, 01:47 AM)German Wrote: Great summary and gorgeous Chubbies, Ben!

Thank-you my friend!

(01-23-2015, 05:04 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote: Ben, thanks for your explanation ( and thanks to everybody else). I have enjoyed this thread and the pictures immensely. I have several Simpsons brushes already, but no Chubby. This will have to be corrected soon!  Quick question, is the two band Silvertip (2 band Super) that you mention similar to the Manchurian?

Kevin

Kevin, Manchurian is generally also 2 band in appearance. The individual hairs are thicker and more rigid than than SilverTip (2 band Super). Manchurian is characterised as providing some feedback/sensation against the skin due to its robust and less yielding knot. Knot integrity can be accounted for by the strength of the individual hairs and therefore is not reliant on density. Manchurian is slightly less dense than SilverTip and IMO has slightly better flow through. SilverTip boasts slightly softer tips and an overall softer presentation on the face. 

As badger hair is a natural product there is also variation in batches within hair grades. Manchurian pre-dating the "Jubilee" is often described as providing "scritch" not dissimilar to the famed (original) Rooney Finest. Last year (2014) Best had whiter and softer tips than it had had for many years. For a number of years now SilverTip has consistently boasted the softest tips, but previously it was not always so with every brush.

The shaving community is fast becoming well educated and subsequently more demanding. Manufacturers are aware of this and as a result strive to ensure consistency within their hair grades.

Of note, is when comparing the top tier hair grades (such as SilverTip and Manchurian) the differences are more subtle. There is much greater difference (and therefore greater advantage/reward) when comparing other hair grades such as Pure, Best and Super. It can be difficult to appreciate/justify the high investment commanded by some hair grades, but it is even more difficult to settle for anything less once you have them.

Please be aware that my descriptions of hair grade characteristics refer only to Simpson's hair grades (as despite similarities, there is little or no standardisation across brands/manufacturers). I have experience with other brands, but the questions have only related to Simpson's brushes, so rather than complicate answers, I've ignored other brands on that basis alone.

Finally Kevin, what other Simpson's brushes do you own? If I could choose only 3, they would be (and in order of preference): Duke 3, as my daily driver, Chubby 3, when I feel like spoiling myself and Classic 1 for travel. (All in Manchurian).

99 18,011
 01-23-2015, 07:18 AM
User Info
Quote:Finally Kevin, what other Simpson's brushes do you own? 

I have 2 right now, a Milk Churn and a Classic 2, both in Best.  However I recently got more interested in Simpsons in general and their higher grade hairs, to that end I purchased a Duke 2 in Super (from B/S/T, should be here next week) and I'm currently talking with a forum member about buying his '14 LE M6 in Manchurian.  I know that all of these knot sizes are different, so I will not be able to get an exact comparison of quality, but it should be educational.  I also think that my small collection needs a Chubby 2 at some point.

9 137