01-16-2015, 09:48 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
What is the last soap [if any] that you tossed in the garbage?

For me it was a vegan Strop Shoppe, which kind of hurt b/c the tallow-based Strop Shoppe's are in my top 3-5.

1 795
 01-16-2015, 09:53 PM
User Info
I can't remember tossing a soap... don't think I've done that yet.
I wish I could have given you a few bucks to ship that Strop Shoppe to me, though.

7 315
 01-16-2015, 10:29 PM
User Info
Tossed the remains of a tub of BodyShop shaving cream a couple of years back - it was starting to smell weird.

Other than that, the only other soap I have "gotten rid off" was one my Better Half could not stand the scent off; that was PIFed away.

3 4,510
 01-16-2015, 10:42 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
I trashed a GFT Eucris puck after I failed 6 times to get a good lather and then tried to use it as a bath soap and ended up with a rash. I would not wish that puck upon anyone.

80 469
 01-16-2015, 10:49 PM
User Info
I have an ancient williams puck that came with my old spice mug. It's NOS but I think it's going to get tossed.

3 218
 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM
User Info
Both times I tried Stirling, it ended up in the bin. The sticky, gloppy lather did not shave well for me.

Nick

2 50
 01-16-2015, 11:52 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(01-16-2015, 09:53 PM)wagstaff Wrote: I can't remember tossing a soap... don't think I've done that yet.
I wish I could have given you a few bucks to ship that Strop Shoppe to me, though.

Thinking for the future, this raises another question. I'd like to be able to give away some soaps, but frankly, these shipping charges can add up. Is it considered crude to offer to give up a soap if the recipient pays the shipping? It could be well worth it for them.

1 795
 01-17-2015, 12:06 AM
User Info
After trying the initial veggie formulation of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, I realized that no, the lather wasn't all that good - it could theoretically be made workable with KMF unscented and maybe glycerine but why? So it got bath duty. (And frankly it's not a great bath soap either.)

I received it in a PIF and I'd have been hopping mad if I paid for it out of my own pocket.

12 1,247
 01-17-2015, 12:39 AM
User Info
(01-16-2015, 11:22 PM)Nick Danger Wrote: Both times I tried Stirling, it ended up in the bin. The sticky, gloppy lather did not shave well for me.

Nick

When? I received some samples early last year from Rudy vey with brushes. The first flat out sucked in the same manner you described. The second was pleasant enough for me to buy 10 samples around Black Friday when they had a sale, only difference was the fragrance. Definitely closer consistency across the whole line now and a much better product.

Now if they had mutton tallow vanilla sandalwood, sharp dressed man and black cherry I would be over that in a heartbeat.

4 146
 01-17-2015, 12:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-16-2015, 11:52 PM)Teddyboy Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 09:53 PM)wagstaff Wrote: I can't remember tossing a soap... don't think I've done that yet.

Thinking for the future, this raises another question. I'd like to be able to give away some soaps, but frankly, these shipping charges can add up. Is it considered crude to offer to give up a soap if the recipient pays the shipping? It could be well worth it for them.

Not crude at all. Several of us have given stuff away if the recipient was willing to pay the shipping cost.

178 23,809
 01-17-2015, 02:23 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I had a couple pucks of Stirling crap out on me half way through, a puck of B&M Roam had to go, there's a tub of CRSW Puro Fresco that's been "airing out" in the washroom for weeks but the scent won't go away, unfortunately, the performance is top notch.  Before that a few pucks of Mystic Water became shower soap, that's about it though.

17 549
 01-17-2015, 06:16 AM
User Info
A grated Valobra stick that had separated and turned into a weird, grainy gunge. I should never have grated it in the first place.

0 143
 01-17-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
Just tossed two tubs of Ogallala soap. The lather was pathetic and the skin protection was minimal. Luckily, they weren't so expensive. I hate waste, but space is at a premium on my shave shelf. (I need to save room for my tub of Paradise TSN LE!)

39 3,919
 01-17-2015, 07:21 AM
User Info
(01-16-2015, 11:52 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: Thinking for the future, this raises another question. I'd like to be able to give away some soaps, but frankly, these shipping charges can add up. Is it considered crude to offer to give up a soap if the recipient pays the shipping? It could be well worth it for them.

That might be most welcome in most cases. I do get the original point, though, that the Strop Shoppe tallow soaps are out of this world, and the vegan formula might prove disappointing. (I think they're pretty good, actually, but I certainly see the contrast. And in the case of a "double butter" London Morning edition they had out a while ago, I literally didn't miss the tallow at all).

(01-17-2015, 12:39 AM)Joezamboni Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 11:22 PM)Nick Danger Wrote: Both times I tried Stirling, it ended up in the bin. The sticky, gloppy lather did not shave well for me.

Nick

When? I received some samples early last year from Rudy vey with brushes. The first flat out sucked in the same manner you described. The second was pleasant enough for me to buy 10 samples around Black Friday when they had a sale, only difference was the fragrance. Definitely closer consistency across the whole line now and a much better product.

Now if they had mutton tallow vanilla sandalwood, sharp dressed man and black cherry I would be over that in a heartbeat.
Yeah this is interesting... Stirling is changing "all the time" (?) Certainly I had some old generation stuff that Rod sold for "a buck a puck" and ... yeah! that I ended up binning. I had it in the shower for a while, but it wasn't working out there, either. Now I remember. But that was a LONG time ago. Since then I've had others that were way better, but not near my favorites. Recently I bought some samples of his splashes (which are excellent), and a couple of soap samples just to see if it's changed/improved again. Time will tell.

7 315
 01-17-2015, 07:24 AM
User Info
I'll bet I'm the only one, but... The last soap I tossed in the garbage was MWF. I just didn't care for it at all. The protection was sub par and something about it irritated my skin and it wasn't lanolin because I use a lot of soaps with lanolin. Gave it bath duty but it started to crumble to pieces so out it went.

3 96
 01-17-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
I tossed some Mystic Waters a few months ago. The lather just made me angry. One time fantastic, the next eight were just awful, and I honestly couldn't figure out anything different in the process of lathering to make it work.

I also tossed some Al's cream a while back, but for a totally different reason. I went on a bit of an Al's binge a few years ago and it looks like after a year or so the stuff loses its lathering potency (maybe it's the jars being tougher to seal well?)

16 249
 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM
User Info
(01-17-2015, 12:39 AM)Joezamboni Wrote:

Nick

When? I received some samples early last year from Rudy vey with brushes. The first flat out sucked in the same manner you described. The second was pleasant enough for me to buy 10 samples around Black Friday when they had a sale, only difference was the fragrance.

My last attempt with Stirling was February of last year. The previous attempt was perhaps six months earlier than that. With so many consistently great artisans soaps out there, I'm no longer interested in trying another batch on the chance it won't suck for me. Since I currently use only unscented soaps, all that matters to me is performance and, while I can get Stirling to lather with no huge problems, I did not care for the quality of the shaves.

(01-17-2015, 07:24 AM)IMightBeWrong Wrote: I'll bet I'm the only one, but... The last soap I tossed in the garbage was MWF. I just didn't care for it at all.

You're not alone. I wasn't a fan of MWF either. I didn't bin it because I was silly enough to buy it in the expensive bowl, so I just sold it at a loss to get rid of it. That was also my last attempt at using anything with any kind of scent (although MWF's scent is super mild). My problem wasn't that it irritated my skin as much as that I never got to shave with it at all because it wouldn't lather for me.

(01-17-2015, 08:30 AM)explodyii Wrote: I tossed some Mystic Waters a few months ago. The lather just made me angry. One time fantastic, the next eight were just awful, and I honestly couldn't figure out anything different in the process of lathering to make it work.

I feel your pain. I heard so many great things about this soap, and Michelle from Mystic Waters is so helpful, that I was determined to make it work. Twice, I failed and ended up giving away the pucks. I had roughly the same result as you: only about 1 out of 10 lathers was any good. I decided to try it again last month. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing differently now, but I get perfect lather every time with any brush. Mystic Waters has rocketed to the top of my list, just below Mike's for the #1 spot.

Nick

2 50
 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM
User Info
Modern Williams - No explanation necessary.

0 836
 01-17-2015, 09:35 AM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
I have never chucked a soap yet, if i ever get to that point i think someone on the fourm would rather pay shipping and get the soap for the cost to ship

19 196
 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Some abysmal Arteezian, Nag Champa scented evil of forgotten appellation that was gifted by a New Age friend who went from Wiccan 'Blessed be' to Self Realisation 'Namaste'.
I poked it with the barrel of my .375H&H in case it charged before throwing it out.

2 3,171