01-17-2015, 07:19 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I love the Simpson Tulip Handles! Blush

And as everybody knows, I cherish Simpson 2 Band hair. Hence, combining both must be the perfect union. So I thought... Cool

I acquired several Simpson Tulip 2 Bands: 2 T3s and 1 T2 (that was a T1 in disguise). The T3 handle fits perfect, not too big and not too small.

I NEVER liked the knot I got: too scrubby (even the newer batches), too dense, too short of a loft or too big of a glue bump. Though aesthetically VERY pleasing (see below) they never stayed in my den. Huh

[Image: D7rxi3B.jpg]

[Image: IyvV6ew.jpg]

[Image: YwoqwKK.jpg]

And my desire for a perfect Tulip 2 Band has yet to be fulfilled (MARK, are you listening!!!???).

But I had to have a Tulip! With the right 2 Band nowhere to be found, Manchurian not to my liking, I finally decided to try a Super 3 Band - a hair grade that I owned a few times from Simpson - and every time I sold it, because it was too scrubby for me. The only 3 Band Super I kept is T&H Tortoise Emperor 3 that has just an outstanding batch of hair.

After months of hesitation I finally pulled the trigger on one of Jarrod's specimen. Seeing the brush you want to buy in a close up with exact measures is a big decision help. I went for a rather short lofted one, but in a fan that is not necessarily a bad thing. Here she is: 24/48mm:

[Image: sVVnaRP.jpg]

[Image: 2bJEHDM.jpg]

What a beautiful brush! A first shave revealed: scrubby (nowhere as soft as Thäter, shavemac silvertips - as expected). Not quite as soft as the T&H E3, but no scritch either.

Will she make it into my permanent rotation? Not sure yet.

What I am sure about though is that my quest for the perfect Tulip 3 brush has not ended yet... Biggrin

35 1,808
 01-17-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info
It's odd to see you post anything other than 2-band, Georg. Nice looking Tulip; I had a Super Colonel several years ago that reminds me of your brush, and was just as you've described. I'm guessing you're on the fence about the bloom as well as the softness. Hope it works out for you, and that you find your perfect T.

29 1,776
 01-17-2015, 09:38 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Congrats, Georg! I have a T3 in Super Badger pretty much like yours, and it's my favorite Simpson's Super Badger brush. The knot specs really suit that type of hair very well, as well as the handle itself.

26 4,895
 01-17-2015, 10:12 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Yep, not too many 3 bands that I have kept (a few Thäters to name one).
(01-17-2015, 09:18 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: It's odd to see you post anything other than 2-band, Georg. Nice looking Tulip; I had a Super Colonel several years ago that reminds me of your brush, and was just as you've described. I'm guessing you're on the fence about the bloom as well as the softness. Hope it works out for you, and that you find your perfect T.

35 1,808
 01-17-2015, 08:06 PM
User Info
Good luck with the brush, Georg!
It is way too small for me, though! I really enjoy my Chubby 2 Super knots in a few custom handles I have. Angel

82 21,056
 01-17-2015, 10:20 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Great brush! Tulips rule. I may need to pick up a three band at some point.

17 437
 01-18-2015, 12:41 AM
User Info
I also love tulips. Such a fantastic shape. Nice brush German

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 1,182
 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM
  • hon
User Info
Anyone know how is the density of Tulip 3 Super 3 band comparing to Duke best? Is the Duke 3 denser?
Base on spec both brushes are quite similar so does both of them have a similar knot feel when face lathering?
Thanks.

0 38
 01-18-2015, 11:03 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Not sure about vs duke 3 but my T3 2-band is quite packed in.

10 753
 01-19-2015, 07:08 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
When I got my first Tulip 3 - 2 band through Mark I was hooked, the search or the right one is a never ending personal journey Wink.

Having finally tried a Duke 3 best, I can tell you Duke 3 best is a seriously dense wall of badger. I didn't believe it myself but once I had it in hand I can understand why its a Chubby .5 as I've read elsewhere. Comparing the 2 band vs D3 Best is that the D3 is packing significantly more badger than the T3 is.

35 1,329
 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
I had Dukes and T3s in both 2 Band and 3 Band Super.
In 3 Band I think the Duke is packed more dense. My 2 bands were about the same.

35 1,808
 01-19-2015, 07:46 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
That's good point German, your right on that. Most of my 2 bands in the current iteration feel very similar in terms of flow and density so I would assume its proportionally similar if not the same density of badger respective to the knot size in the 2 bands.

by the way, I'm really taken at the T1 dressed up as a T2 you have. The 2 band and the color are so distinctive on it.

35 1,329
 01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
I've owned a bunch of Tulips too. Didn't keep any of them for one reason or another. The one I should have kept was my first, a Somerset era Tulip 3. Sold it because I thought it didn't have enough backbone. Things change and today I'd likely love it. Wonder who has it by now?

44 486