01-17-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
I wanted to give a pure badger brush a try since my first brush was a boar. I've heard that it takes a little longer to break in, but when I first went to face lather, it felt so prickly. To the point where I had to use my boar to apply lather for my second pace. Is this normal? Will it eventually get as soft as my boar?

5 59
 01-17-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
No, it will not. Pure badger is a poor choice for me, as I can barely tolerate the scritch . I would try something in Silvertip.

If you are on a budget check out Vintage Blades or Whipped Dog.

63 1,721
 01-17-2015, 12:22 PM
User Info
Agreed. My first brush was an Omega 48, next was a black badger from WD. It was ok, but there was to much scritch for me. I think a Silvertip would probably be what you're looking for.

21 555
 01-17-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
My first brush was a badger brush ... Perfecto that I purchased from Amazon for $14 or so U.S. dollars. I just figured the uncomfortable prickly sensation was just the standard and that I was going to have to suck it up. I did a bit a reading and then ordered a simple Omega boar (Italian made) brush for around $10 or so dollar. WOW! Dang! Yikes! What a huge difference. My badger now sits watching. The boar was like silk on my face AND it made a better lather, nice thick peaks, in no time at all. So, I learned a lesson. Some people like badger over boar ... it's a personal choice but for me ... I'm sticking with my Omega brush. I plan to add a synthetic to the mix so that I will have tried the three main brushes out there. There's also horse hair but I don't hear much about those.

1 44
 01-17-2015, 01:55 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I like the scritch of Pure Badger, but I'm a bowl latherer, so the brush spends considerably less time on my face than if I were a face latherer.
Boar has got Pure Badger beat in so many ways, though. All of the cheaper beginner Pure Badger brushes I have seen were floppy, moppy, limp things when they got wet. This does not bother me, as it makes painting strokes so wonderfully soft. But a boar will be much softer, but it will have plenty of backbone as well, and handle soaps and creams with easy aplomb. And for the price of a cheap Pure Badger brush, Omega or Semogue will sell you a very fine boar.

2 1,683
 01-17-2015, 08:01 PM
User Info
Pure Badger will not soften over time, really. I would highly suggest you try getting yourself a Whipped Dog silvertip or Vintage Blades 2-Band to see how soft they can be compared to the one you have.
Good luck.

83 21,078
 01-19-2015, 04:37 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have only one pure badger brush; it's a Simpson Somerset Duke2. It has a bit of prickle to it, but nothing uncomfortable and I face lather exclusively. I've had the brush for sometime and it feels the same now as when I first used it.

7 909
 01-19-2015, 06:15 PM
User Info
I have tried a good handful of brushes and for softness the best choice for me is Thater in 3 Band. It's like a cloud on the face. I don't touch Pure Badger anymore. Too much scritch just as you note.

3 96
 01-19-2015, 06:31 PM
User Info
I have one of these brushes and it is wonderful. No scritch. A wonderful, reasonably priced brush from a great vendor.

Brush Details:

Manufactured by SEMOGUE firm from S. Félix da Marinha, existing since 1955.

Handle: Varnished oak wood (with waterproof insulation)
Ring: Polished aluminum
Rama: Pure badger natural hair

Natural bristle brushes and badger hair, keep the craftsmanship that characterizes the factory.

http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/hea...ving-brush

Hope this helps.

Ed

22 752
 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM
User Info
(01-17-2015, 08:01 PM)celestino Wrote: Pure Badger will not soften over time, really.

Yes,the Black badgers neither.

0 353
 01-24-2015, 09:14 AM
User Info
only thing I like about black badgers is that they are black.  look great.  can someone describe what a European grey badger is?

73 1,297