01-17-2015, 03:44 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Here is the patient.

[Image: 100_2150.JPG]

Patient suffers from age related thinning and limp performance. Pre-op prep consists of a trim with a razor blade, and razor knife. Patient is now prepared for surgery to commence. Paging Dr. Newb.

[Image: 100_2151.JPG]

Initial procedure began with a 1/2" Forstner.

[Image: 100_2152.JPG]

This was not as successful as the surgeon supposed it would be, so a 1/4" bit was used to drill through the center of the knot, and through a thick carboard base that formed the floor of the cavity. After which, the Forstner was again employed.

[Image: 100_2153.JPG]

Once I punched through with that, I moved to a rotary file.

[Image: 100_2154.JPG]

In the end, I moved through each of these tools to remove the knot, in order to find what worked best.

[Image: 100_2155.JPG]

Next time, I'll just use the 1/4" bit and the spade bits in succession.

A penny almost fits through.

[Image: 100_2156.JPG]

[Image: 100_2157.JPG]

Calipers read 18.34mm.
Forstner skipped a bit and left that track you see below the lip of the opening. I'll sand that as best I can, and hit the whole thing with polish. Hopefully I can make it disappear.
I have a 20mm Finest and an 18mm F2 on their way from TGN. I have another handle with a 20mm opening. Whichever knot fits it the best will go in that, and the other will go into this brush.
Just got shipping confirmation earlier today, but the knots have to travel over 2200 miles to reach me, so not expecting them before Thursday or Friday. Will update when they arrive.
Thanks for looking in.

2 1,683
 01-17-2015, 05:25 PM
User Info
Looks like a lot of work ...
But, 'a labor of LOVE' ... correct?

I bet it will look GREAT, when finished!

JAY

48 414
 01-17-2015, 05:30 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Jay, thanks.
Yes, definitely a labor of love. There is something about vintage brushes that, like the razors, just calls to me. This one, in particular, has a handle design that is wonderful in the hand. I can't wait to pop a nice badger knot into it. The hardest part will be waiting for the epoxy to set.

2 1,683
 01-17-2015, 06:02 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great job so far, gotta hate Biggrin that limp performance in shaving brushes!!Biggrin

118 1,708
 01-17-2015, 06:09 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(01-17-2015, 06:02 PM)Triad Wrote: Great job so far, gotta hate Biggrin that limp performance in shaving brushes!!Biggrin

Thanks. I find most pure badger to have no backbone to speak of(at least the cheap ones I've owned), but this brush would literally fall over to the side when it got wet.
Strangely enough, it lathered any soap or cream I own, and had almost zero scritch. But I really needed to replace the knot with something more appropriate.
I love the way the handle feels in my hand, so this was the next logical step. Can't wait to use it with it's new knot!

2 1,683
 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I have several TGN Finest knots they are great!!

118 1,708
 01-17-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
Mike, good job, so far, and good luck with the finish and the knot! Smile

83 21,078
 01-17-2015, 08:21 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thanks, guys. Looking forward to my "new" brush.

2 1,683
 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Sanded the handle a bit today. About an hour's work.

[Image: 100_2161.JPG]

I started with 800 grit, since the handle was in good shape, and there were no deep scratches to deal with. That took care of the little marks made by the forstner bit. I followed that with 2000, which was the next grit up that I had available. By hand, basically just wrapped the sandpaper around the handle and turned it with my other hand.I think it looks good, and is ready for polishing out. I suspect that the opening will need to be adjusted a bit to fit the knot I choose for it. They should be here tomorrow or the next day. According to USPS tracking my knots have made it to Dulles, which is the local hub for us. Usually when it reaches there, I will see the package the following day. So I am expecting it tomorrow, but it could take another day in transit. I will not do a final buff and polish until after the handle is fitted properly to the knot.

Handle was in such good shape that the raised lettering on the bottom still have the original gold paint intact. Glad I don't have to figure out how to repaint them. I see a lot of posts on how to repaint engraved lettering, but not one I can find about raised letters.
[Image: 100_2162.JPG]

2 1,683
 01-19-2015, 03:15 PM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
Mike, that handle is looking good. Should polish very nicely after sanding to 2000 grit. As far as re-painting the raised letters, it's a good thing that you don't have to repaint them, but if you did, I don't think it would be too hard. Just put whatever paint you want in a thin layer on a piece of paper, then press the bottom of the handle down on it. I've never done it, but don't see why that wouldn't work. The technique might need a few trials to get it right.

Matt

0 62
 01-19-2015, 03:22 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(01-19-2015, 03:15 PM)mlzettl Wrote: Mike, that handle is looking good. Should polish very nicely after sanding to 2000 grit. As far as re-painting the raised letters, it's a good thing that you don't have to repaint them, but if you did, I don't think it would be too hard. Just put whatever paint you want in a thin layer on a piece of paper, then press the bottom of the handle down on it. I've never done it, but don't see why that wouldn't work. The technique might need a few trials to get it right.

Matt
Matt, thanks. And I think that method would work well on some brushes. But if you look at the brush above you'll see that although the letters are raised, the bottom is actually recessed and there is a lip, or ring around the bottom of the brush that, at least on mine, is higher than the letters themselves.
But I think you are correct that trial and error with that method would probably work. I am certain I will have a chance to find out one day, lol.

2 1,683
 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
Mike, I did not notice the raised rim. That certainly adds another level of complication. Making a disk out of some cardboard, or anything thicker than the ring is tall, and a bit smaller than the ring would probably work. It could be used like a rubber stamp (remember those??). The manufacturer probably used a similar technique, albeit automated.

Anyway, I am anxious to see the completed brush. You're doing a great job. As another aside, I have always found that using a Forstner bit in a hand held drill is an adventure. If the rim catches, you're off to the races. Glad to see that you were able to sand and buff out those scratches.

Matt

(01-19-2015, 03:22 PM)SRNewb Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 03:15 PM)mlzettl Wrote: Mike, that handle is looking good. Should polish very nicely after sanding to 2000 grit. As far as re-painting the raised letters, it's a good thing that you don't have to repaint them, but if you did, I don't think it would be too hard. Just put whatever paint you want in a thin layer on a piece of paper, then press the bottom of the handle down on it. I've never done it, but don't see why that wouldn't work. The technique might need a few trials to get it right.

Matt
Matt, thanks. And I think that method would work well on some brushes. But if you look at the brush above you'll see that although the letters are raised, the bottom is actually recessed and there is a lip, or ring around the bottom of the brush that, at least on mine, is higher than the letters themselves.
But I think you are correct that trial and error with that method would probably work. I am certain I will have a chance to find out one day, lol.

0 62
 01-20-2015, 11:22 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Package arrived.

[Image: 100_2164.JPG]

18mm Finest F2 on the left, 20mm Finest on the right. These knots were listed as 18mmx60mm and 20mmx60mm, respectively. They are actually 65mm loft. Guess they are what was in stock. I'm actually pleased with this, as it gives me a bit more play concerning loft. As a bowl latherer, I think I will prefer a higher loft.
The 18mm fits the handle nicely, giving a loft of 55mm if I just set it in the hole and let it settle where it wants to.

I know this is not a perfect test, but if I hold the brush in my hand and press the knot to my face, it feels like even at 55mm loft there is a bit more backbone than I might want. So I think I will set this knot at 55mm, thinking that as the knot blooms and splays a bit, it will relax a bit more, and I will be close to what I think I want for this brush.

2 1,683
 01-20-2015, 11:23 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Slight change. I enlarged the hole so that I can get it to a 52mm loft. I know, just 3mm probably won't matter, but I want a bit lower loft, just don't want to go too low. Used a rotary rasp. Also polished the handle out. Came out great, I think.

[Image: 100_2165.JPG]

The piece of 1/2" dowel you see to the right will be used for filler. By my measurements, if I create a shelf that ends up being just at the bottom of where the shelf used to be, I will be set for a 52mm loft.

2 1,683
 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I used masking tape around the opening, and filled the handle about a third full of epoxy, and mixed that in the handle for about one minute. Then I chucked a couple of dimes in, and followed that with the piece of dowel for filler.

[Image: 100_2167.JPG]

I then mixed a good bit of epoxy up, and drizzled it in around the filler piece until I had the level I wanted. Then it was a simple matter to put a bit of epoxy on the knot, and set it.

[Image: 100_2168.JPG]

Transplant successful. Patient is now in recovery.
Final loft is exactly 52mm. Once again, 18mm Finest F2.

I used Devcon 5 minute epoxy. The handle is no longer hot, but 5 minutes or not, that is a truckload of epoxy in the handle, even with filler. So I will wait until the evening shave before I use this brush. Will put up a post bloom photo, and post my thoughts, following that shave. Thanks for looking.

2 1,683
 01-20-2015, 11:26 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Post bloom pic.

[Image: 100_2174.JPG]

2 1,683
 01-21-2015, 05:16 AM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
Turned out great, Mike. I'll bet that handle got pretty hot with all of that epoxy in a closed space.

Matt

0 62
 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Matt, thanks. As for the heat from the epoxy, it got pretty warm. But thankfully not as hot as I feared it would.
Alright, as promised, here are my thoughts on my initial use of this brush.
Firstly, this is the softest brush I have ever put to my face. Just incredibly soft, with not even a hint of any type of scritch. But, at 52mm, there is zero scrub, and a light backbone. It is not quite floppy, but not far away. As a consequence, there is more than enough splay on the face. In fact, if I reduce the amount of pressure used when lathering, I can get for me the perfect amount of splay on my face. I was not really aware how hard I have been pushing my boars and my Simpson D2 into my face, until now. The jury's still out on whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I will need to use the brush more to know for certain.
The other thing that surprised me was water retention. I have a Simpson in Best, as mentioned above, and it holds water well, but this thing puts it to shame as far as the amount of water it absorbs and retains. It is something I will need to be aware of.
As a matter of fact, I think that this brush will require me to rethink my approach to brushes and lathering. I will have to "learn" this brush in order to get the best out of it.
I think that's a good thing. Something different, something else to learn.
Once again, thanks for looking in.

2 1,683
 01-21-2015, 03:35 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mike

Nicely done Thumbsup

I also have a brush fitted with a TGN 18mm Finest F2 badger knot (46mm loft height), overall a very nice knot.

18mm Finest F2 was purchased from TGB back in early May 2014.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Mike, thanks. I think it's a great knot. The more I use this brush, the more I like it.

2 1,683