Poll: King Louis or Linea Officina Artigiana
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
User Info
I'm getting my best shaves ever from the new La Famiglia range from RazoRock. However, my only other RR experience is with XXX (which is great in its own right). Both insomniac & brucered have said they find the other artisan RR soaps to be better for them. So while I have plenty of high quality soaps my curiosity is getting the best of me. I must compare the La Famiglia range to one of the other artisan lines from RR. So please vote for either the King Louis (I'm not interested in the 888 scent description) or the Linea Officiana Artigiana. If you choose the LOA range then please also suggest a scent. I'm leaning toward Boston Tea Party if LOA is picked. Thanks all.

31 7,914
 06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
i voted KL. the KL and 888 are the best bang for the buck shave soaps out there if you ask me.

even at $15 or so, which is considerably more then the other RR and TFS/RR items, they outperform them all and better then many higher prices soaps/creams. lathering, amount used, post shave feel (shea butter and lanolin) all rank up there with the best of the best in my den.

i rank them with ease of lather to CF, not quite MdC but then again nothing is. post shave feel is similar to MWF to me, but i give the edge to the RR offerings. every time i use them, i'm amazed at the ease of lather and thick/slick lather then the post shave feel (smooth and moisturized)

i'd go so far as to say, the 888 and KL are 2 of my favorite products. if they had a Lime, Coconut, stronger Lavender and a few other scents, i'd be happy to use them exclusively (but i'd still want to buy and try others Rolleyes)

as always, YMMV and everyone has different expectations, minds made up already and different reaction to products.

8 2,718
 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I voted for the LOA. Though I haven't tried the King Louis/888, the Artisan has a wider selection or scents and makes the best lather. I would look at the Napoleon's Violet, it's heavenly.

35 1,732
 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have Caprician Lemon and like it a lot. I'm not sure which of the three ranges of RR products I think makes the best lather. I have LF, two black tubs and the CL. I get great shaves from all 3.

10 1,858
 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 02:27 PM)Tonality Wrote: I voted for the LOA. Though I haven't tried the King Louis/888, the Artisan has a wider selection or scents and makes the best lather. I would look at the Napoleon's Violet, it's heavenly.

just wondering how you can choose then and say "it makes the best lather"....you can't make a comparison if you haven't tried one of the two in the running Blush.

8 2,718
 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(06-03-2012, 03:08 PM)brucered Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 02:27 PM)Tonality Wrote: I voted for the LOA. Though I haven't tried the King Louis/888, the Artisan has a wider selection or scents and makes the best lather. I would look at the Napoleon's Violet, it's heavenly.

just wondering how you can choose then and say "it makes the best lather"....you can't make a comparison if you haven't tried one of the two in the running Blush.

I guess I mean "makes the best" as in the descriptive/enthusiastic way. It makes a fantastic lather, it's the best.

35 1,732
 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I voted for the LOA, I've used up a puck of Thrideye and MdB. The King Louis line is nice but I prefer the lather of Artisan series.

7 1,018
 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 05:49 PM)Sully Wrote: I voted for the LOA, I've used up a puck of Thrideye and MdB. The King Louis line is nice but I prefer the lather of Artisan series.

Thanks Sully! Any way to give me an idea what some other soaps that the LOA lather reminds you of?

(06-03-2012, 02:32 PM)Songwind Wrote: I have Caprician Lemon and like it a lot. I'm not sure which of the three ranges of RR products I think makes the best lather. I have LF, two black tubs and the CL. I get great shaves from all 3.

Eric, how would you compare side by side the LaFam & LOA soaps? Lather, glide, skincare?

Thanks!

31 7,914
 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
It's a thick lather like Valobra or AOS but it isn't as slick as either of those and it doesn't cost nearly as much as AOS. AOS is the slickest soap I've used, the Aritsan line is slick just not on the same level as AOS. The lather is very creamy and rich.

7 1,018
 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
User Info
(06-03-2012, 05:54 PM)Sully Wrote: It's a thick lather like Valobra or AOS but it isn't as slick as either of those and it doesn't cost nearly as much as AOS. AOS is the slickest soap I've used, the Aritsan line is slick just not on the same level as AOS. The lather is very creamy and rich.

I have some Valobra, but not AoS. Doesn't Valobra make AoS? Would you say they are close enough that I'd have a good idea?

31 7,914
 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM
User Info
I voted LOA. I currently use MdiB. That doesn't mean that I don't like KL, I do. But the Artisan line has always had a special place in my cave. Having to choose between the RR soaps is like having to choose your favorite child.

9 1,199
 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
User Info
I'm surprised that there aren't more votes yet on this one. Are there really less people with both of these lines than I thought?

31 7,914
 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
The main difference is that King Louis has no tallow and contains lanolin plus shea butter. The LOA all contain tallow except for Muguet de France. The LOA do not use essential oils for their fragrance where as King Louis does. The only two LOA that contain shea butter are Muguet de France and Mughetto di Bologna. King Louis is more of a cream or croap as some have coined. The LOA is more of a true soft soap as it is cut from a soap brick and then placed into the container. When you receive it then you press and mold it to the container. I would suggest the King Louis, but if you choose to select an LOA then consider Mughetto di Bologna as the fragrance is Lily of the Valley which is very floral and spring time. The King Louis has a very strong Lavender and baby powder fragrance.

0 123
 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(06-03-2012, 05:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Eric, how would you compare side by side the LaFam & LOA soaps? Lather, glide, skincare?

Based on my memory, I'd say that LaFam has a richer lather and a bit better skin care, but LoA is slicker and left more residual slickness for things like blade buffing or overlapping strokes.

However, it's been a while since I got out the LoA soap and I feel that my lather technique has probably improved. I'm going to shave with CL later today and I'll give a more up-to-date impression.

10 1,858
 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 11:10 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 05:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Eric, how would you compare side by side the LaFam & LOA soaps? Lather, glide, skincare?

Based on my memory, I'd say that LaFam has a richer lather and a bit better skin care, but LoA is slicker and left more residual slickness for things like blade buffing or overlapping strokes.

However, it's been a while since I got out the LoA soap and I feel that my lather technique has probably improved. I'm going to shave with CL later today and I'll give a more up-to-date impression.

Thank you for that. I'm hoping to place my order with Phil either tonight or first thing in the morning. I just can't wait any longer. Biggrin

31 7,914
 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I'm a big fan of the Artisan soaps. I have one of them, one black tub (XXX) and two of the new LaFam's.
- I love the XXX scent but from a performance perspective I don't get the best glide out of it. I've only had it for a few weeks so I'm still working on learning it's secrets so my opinion may change next week.
- The LaFam's are really good. Easy to lather, I get really good slickness and it's quite protective.
- Artisan edges out LaFam's just a bit. I think it's ever so slightly more moisturizing. I have one scent - lilly of the valley (Mughetto Bologna [sp?]). It's an awesome scent. Can't really say if the scents on the Artisans are better than the rest since I've only sampled a few of each.

0 353
 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(06-04-2012, 11:15 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 11:10 AM)Songwind Wrote:

Thank you for that. I'm hoping to place my order with Phil either tonight or first thing in the morning. I just can't wait any longer. Biggrin

Based on tonight's shave, here's how they stack up for me:
They are both easy to lather.
LOA has the edge in glide. It also left me with more residual slickness for buffing and touch ups.
La Famiglia leaves my skin feeling better.
I like the scents of Don Marco and Cumba Cheech better than Caprician Lemon.

Hope that helps you.
Eric

10 1,858
 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 10:09 AM)mctmatt Wrote: The main difference is that King Louis has no tallow and contains lanolin plus shea butter. The LOA all contain tallow except for Muguet de France. The LOA do not use essential oils for their fragrance where as King Louis does. The only two LOA that contain shea butter are Muguet de France and Mughetto di Bologna. King Louis is more of a cream or croap as some have coined. The LOA is more of a true soft soap as it is cut from a soap brick and then placed into the container. When you receive it then you press and mold it to the container. I would suggest the King Louis, but if you choose to select an LOA then consider Mughetto di Bologna as the fragrance is Lily of the Valley which is very floral and spring time. The King Louis has a very strong Lavender and baby powder fragrance.

The LOA soaps actually use EO's, its a blend of essential oil and alcohol; rather than fragrance oil.

0 652
 06-19-2012, 05:26 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got some King Louis Lavender from my kids for Father's Day. Wow, that's great stuff. The lather was very protective, and the shea butter has my face feeling wonderful.

It's a fairly mild scent compared to my other lavender (Mystic Water Wild Lavender) but it smells very good.

10 1,858
 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
User Info
Yes Eric I have to agree with you. I ended up doing a trade with Dave and got the King Louis Lavender that way. I've used it for 4 shaves now (3 with a Silvertip Fibre & 1 with Black Fibre brush) and I have concluded that this soap is in my top 5 of best for me. For me it's up there along with the La Famiglia range from RazoRock (TFS), Mike's Natural Soaps, MWF, & TABAC. The scent is noticeable but more on the faint side. To me it's a nice and relaxing scent.

I'm now going to alternate between the LaFam soaps and the KL. After I do this for a few shaves I may consider doing a 1/2 & 1/2 shave off to see which works best for me.

31 7,914