01-19-2015, 04:35 AM
User Info
Never have before, so I figure why not.

The Feather AS-D2. Gets pretty good reviews when used with sharp blades, and I have a nice stash of the 7 O'clock blacks which meet that criteria quite nicely. They don't stay on the BST very long when they come up, but seem to take a decent hit over the retail price, so I'd be tempted to try to buy used and be patient.

ATT? Damned if I am not confused by all the options and combinations. I know about the return policy but why wants to keep sending stuff back.

Weber - I tried a PH on non-SS handled a few years ago, seemed OK at the time but I wasn't all that impressed. Sometimes I wonder if I was too quick to judge.

iKon - got a 102 slant head on the way. Not a handle, just the head.

Tradere - not in production.

RazoRock - unobtanium right now.

Probably missed somebody.

Thoughts?

12 1,247
 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
It's very difficult to recommend a specific razor for YOU.

I've owned most of them. Here are some general thoughts.

If you prefer mild/moderate razors I'd recommend the Feather AS-D2, ATT M series and Weber PH. I've owned all 3 and can recommend them highly. The Feather is a very mild razor. The Weber is a very good razor for the price and is the choice for many first time stainless buyers. The ATT is better quality & customer service than either Feather or Weber.

If you prefer a more aggressive razor I'd recommend ATT R or H series; LASS BBS-1.

I currently own only the BBS-1 and ATT S1. If I were forced to keep only 1 stainless razor in MY den it would be the LASS BBS-1. It is the most expensive of the razors mentioned but I personally feel the price is justified.

169 1,425
 01-19-2015, 09:57 AM
User Info
Steve,

I have tried several of the SS razors you mention.
As ALWAYS, YMMV, but I try very hard to do some research, before purchase, especially since I am relatively new to wet shaving!
ONE thing I have learned, fairly recently, is that TECHNIQUE and experience is a HUGE factor! I bought a Feather AS-D2S (with Stand) a couple of months ago, but found it too mild (too many passes required), I just got the ATT S1/S2 Slant Combo (after reviews, see the thread on TSN forum), and am selling my Weber, as I JUST got a LA Shaving Soap Co. BBS-1 razor.
The BBS-1 is not on your list, it is expensive, 'out of stock' but should be available soon (again). I found it similat to the Weber, but better.
I am, just now learning what works for me, hence a couple of sales.
Bottom Line: Get an assortment of SS razors over time, KEEP them (as your 'taste' will change, as well as your Technique) for a while (don't sell 'stuff' too soon), and only sell/trade them after you (kind of) figure out what YOU prefer.
Hope this helps, or at least gives you 'food for thought'.

JAY

49 418
 01-19-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
I would go with the Weber PH as it is a very effective shaver for a great price.

The Ikon 102 is aluminum and not stainless steel, but it is a fine shaver.

Good luck.

83 21,115
 01-19-2015, 10:15 AM
User Info
If your looking for an SS handle then hit Maggards. I got a M5 from a member and it changed my R89 to a whole new razor and is instantly becoming my fav handle. Thinking of getting another for the 102 head I have coming as well.

148 3,603
 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
(01-19-2015, 10:15 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: If your looking for an SS handle then hit Maggards. I got a M5 from a member and it changed my R89 to a whole new razor and is instantly becoming my fav handle. Thinking of getting another for the 102 head I have coming as well.

I've heard decent things about their razors, but I'd probably be more likely to buy a Weber. I'm pretty sure I could find a buyer for the head if I liked the handle Cool

(01-19-2015, 09:57 AM)akbkr23 Wrote: ONE thing I have learned, fairly recently, is that TECHNIQUE and experience is a HUGE factor! I bought a Feather AS-D2S (with Stand) a couple of months ago, but found it too mild (too many passes required), I just got the ATT S1/S2 Slant Combo (after reviews, see the thread on TSN forum), and am selling my Weber, as I JUST got a LA Shaving Soap Co. BBS-1 razor.
The BBS-1 is not on your list, it is expensive, 'out of stock' but should be available soon (again). I found it similat to the Weber, but better.
I am, just now learning what works for me, hence a couple of sales.
Bottom Line: Get an assortment of SS razors over time, KEEP them (as your 'taste' will change, as well as your Technique) for a while (don't sell 'stuff' too soon), and only sell/trade them after you (kind of) figure out what YOU prefer.
Hope this helps, or at least gives you 'food for thought'.

Not a bad idea though there's no way I would sink that much money into razors - keeping more than a few SS razors around would mean spending ~$500 or so. I've spent well more than that so far on shaving and really don't want to sink that much more into it.

I may try the Weber again since it is the least expensive and gets a lot of positive reviews from people I trust (i.e. you guys.)

12 1,247
 01-19-2015, 11:02 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I agree with the comments of Steelman above (nice job) but the only item I would add is under agressive razor is the Pils in SS. It is pricey however. When I was looking to switch to an ATT I emailed Stan at ATT and he recommended a base plate for me. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

2 479
 01-19-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
The Feather AS-D2 is at the top of my to-try list. Its mildness and build quality makes it the most appealing.

29 1,776
 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
Steve, they are all very good razors, in my opinion, but $70 for the Weber is very difficult to beat if you just want a simple and effective stainless steel razor. Nothing can even compare.

The Maggard heads are not stainless steel, only the handle is unless I am unaware of some changes or different heads that they offer.

83 21,115
 01-19-2015, 12:42 PM
User Info
(01-19-2015, 11:49 AM)celestino Wrote: Steve, they are all very good razors, in my opinion, but $70 for the Weber is very difficult to beat if you just want a simple and effective stainless steel razor. Nothing can even compare.

The Maggard heads are not stainless steel, only the handle is unless I am unaware of some changes or different heads that they offer.

Correct on only the handle being SS with Maggards. Just threw it out there since he bought just the 102 head. Good way to save a little $$.

148 3,603
 01-19-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
Yey, I´d like that Weber. One time, a shame they do not sell straight to Germany, or at least southern Bavaria where I <- live

21 1,175
 01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
imo the weber is a great stainless razor. i almost only own and buy stainless now. ill only buy pot metal heads if its something special and there is nothing else like it. i just love the weight and feel of stainless. also as far as i know the ikon shavecraft heads are an aluminum material not stainless. if not weber pretty much any ikon is a great razor.

16 660
 01-19-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
(01-19-2015, 10:14 AM)celestino Wrote: I would go with the Weber PH as it is a very effective shaver for a great price.

The Ikon 102 is aluminum and not stainless steel, but it is a fine shaver.

Good luck.

I second what Celestino said - the Weber is a good, effective shaver. It's probably in the range of effectiveness that will work for the biggest group of people, but it will not work for everyone.

I haven't used the iKon 102, so I cannot speak for it.

37 1,743
 01-19-2015, 02:27 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-19-2015, 10:30 AM)insomniac Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 10:15 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: If your looking for an SS handle then hit Maggards. I got a M5 from a member and it changed my R89 to a whole new razor and is instantly becoming my fav handle. Thinking of getting another for the 102 head I have coming as well.

I've heard decent things about their razors, but I'd probably be more likely to buy a Weber. I'm pretty sure I could find a buyer for the head if I liked the handle Cool

Maggard sells its MR8 complete razor for $24.95, and offers the MR8 handle separately from the razor for $22.50. That gives a hint as to what the free market valuation of the Maggard head alone might be.

(I have a Maggard M5 in the mail somewhere between Adrian, Michigan, and here, and its handle is projected to be used with an iKon head; the Maggard head will gather dust as a probably never to be used emergency spare.)

1 1,110
 01-21-2015, 06:59 AM
User Info
(01-19-2015, 09:48 AM)Steelman Wrote: It's very difficult to recommend a specific razor for YOU.

I've owned most of them. Here are some general thoughts.

If you prefer mild/moderate razors I'd recommend the Feather AS-D2, ATT M series and Weber PH. I've owned all 3 and can recommend them highly. The Feather is a very mild razor.  The Weber is a very good razor for the price and is the choice for many first time stainless buyers. The ATT is better quality & customer service than either Feather or Weber.

If you prefer a more aggressive razor I'd recommend ATT R or H series; LASS BBS-1.

I currently own only the BBS-1 and ATT S1. If I were forced  to keep only 1 stainless razor in MY den it would be the LASS BBS-1. It is the most expensive of the razors mentioned but I personally feel the price is justified.

Very good advice and my experience exactly for the razors mentioned. The BBS-1 is maybe the best razor for me at the moment as well but I tried the Weber PH yesterday, or revisited it, and it was a very smooth and nice shave. My technique has improved dramatically since I first purchased it now can get the most out of it. You will own several and I think that is the place to start. Then get an ATT S1 slant followed by the BBS-1. And you will own the gamut of stainless razors in terms of quality, precision and performance. I also enjoy the Feather. I have the AS-1 which shaves like a dream....with a shim and a sharp blade. But I think the Weber is a better place to start. Learn how to shave with it then add the others.

54 332
 01-21-2015, 02:15 PM
User Info
(01-19-2015, 02:27 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 10:30 AM)insomniac Wrote:

Maggard sells its MR8 complete razor for $24.95, and offers the MR8 handle separately from the razor for $22.50.  That gives a hint as to what the free market valuation of the Maggard head alone might be.  

(I have a Maggard M5 in the mail somewhere between Adrian, Michigan, and here, and its handle is projected to be used with an iKon head; the Maggard head will gather dust as a probably never to be used emergency spare.)
I love the M5 handle so much I ordered a 2nd this week. Hated the thought of not having it on my R89 so I bought the 2nd to go with my 102 head. Both should be here by Fri/Sat. Woohoo!

148 3,603
 01-21-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
Weber will be here on Friday

12 1,247
 01-22-2015, 07:47 AM
User Info
Nice! It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing about owning a SS razor and also purchased a Weber. Hope you enjoy it.

9 142
 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
iKon 102 head arrived today. Will give it a whirl when the Weber comes in.

Will one of these razors beat the Aristocrat Junior? We shall see!

12 1,247
 01-22-2015, 12:47 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Steve and let us know how you find both shavers! Smile

83 21,115