01-19-2015, 01:55 PM
User Info
I want to preface this by saying that I am not generally a big Simpson fan. I love their handles and like some of their lower end brushes but overall I have been typically indifferent to most of their line.

I've had a few months with the M6 now and I have to say this brush is phenomenal. The quality is impeccable. Mine hasn't lost a hair and the lettering and label are still in perfect condition. The handle is comfortable - it's a wonderful face latherer.

The Manchurian knot was stiff at first but has opened up to become one of the best I've owned. Soft tips with a pleasant scrubbiness but no scritch. The density is perfect. The knot holds together when lathering but with just enough flex to afford excellent flow through.

My hat is off to Simpson and TSN on this one.

27 396
 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM
User Info
The M6 is indeed a fantastic brush. If you like the M6, you would also love the Jubilee if you ever come across one on the BST.

69 2,186
 01-19-2015, 02:45 PM
User Info
just used mine today with krampert bay rum soap. great brush that just gets better.

73 1,296
 01-19-2015, 03:05 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-19-2015, 02:17 PM)cessnabird Wrote: The M6 is indeed a fantastic brush. If you like the M6, you would also love the Jubilee if you ever come across one on the BST.

Although I understand what you're saying, as both brushes have a 22mm knot and share the same hair grade, I actually feel those two brushes are quite different.
Not only the M6's handle is more bowl lather oriented, but even the knot themselves feel quite different to me. The Jubilee is less firm (the lack of glue bump definitely plays a part here) and also slightly less dense, splaying more easily and allowing to feel the individual hairs on the knot, while the M6's knot is firmer (glue bump included) and actually needs some breaking in to actually perform at its best. Also, there's less scrub with the M6, the tips seem softer to me. But, as always, YMMV. Wink

26 4,928
 01-19-2015, 04:15 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(01-19-2015, 03:05 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 02:17 PM)cessnabird Wrote: The M6 is indeed a fantastic brush. If you like the M6, you would also love the Jubilee if you ever come across one on the BST.

Although I understand what you're saying, as both brushes have a 22mm knot and share the same hair grade, I actually feel those two brushes are quite different.
Not only the M6's handle is more bowl lather oriented, but even the knot themselves feel quite different to me. The Jubilee is less firm (the lack of glue bump definitely plays a part here) and also slightly less dense, splaying more easily and allowing to feel the individual hairs on the knot, while the M6's knot is firmer (glue bump included) and actually needs some breaking in to actually perform at its best. Also, there's less scrub with the M6, the tips seem softer to me. But, as always, YMMV. Wink

I agree with your analysis of the two brushes. I find that the glue bump in my M6, which is quite noticeable, gives it a very different feel to my Jubilee. Out of the box my Jubilee was very much to my liking. On the other hand, I'm still trying to get used to the firmness and scrub of the knot in my M6. As you say, it seems that the M6 requires some breaking in, which I find unusual for a badger knot; none of my 24 other badgers, of which 6 are Simpson, required a break in period to perform at its best. I shall persevere with my M6, as I do find the brush aesthetically pleasing.

7 909
 01-19-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
I love my M6. Great brush for shave sticks!

3 96
 01-19-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
I'm with ya..I love my M6. Nice scrub, no scritch and good backbone.

11 230
 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I couldn't agree more. The M6 is my most used brush in my rotation. Initially, I had 2 concerns with this brush; the glue bump and the size of the handle. Now, the glue bump is no issue at all, and I have recently had a revelation about the handle size - I am able to control the application of soap with this brush better than any of my other brushes. I have learned that if I place the butt of the handle in my palm and put my index in the middle of the brush to guide it, I can control it better than my other brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 860
 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM
User Info
Great to hear you are enjoying the brush, Peter!

83 21,077
 01-20-2015, 05:57 AM
User Info
My TSN M6 is a winner. It started out a bit scritchy, but has softened up beautifully.

39 3,919
 01-20-2015, 06:32 AM
User Info
These Posts are enough to make me RECONSIDER getting this brush!

There are some much larger 'Manchurian' brushes available now, both in-regards to knot and handle size.
Does anyone have the Simpson TSN M6 AND some other 'Manchurian'
brushes (especially larger ones), to give a comparison?

Thank you, JAY

48 414
 01-20-2015, 07:04 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(01-20-2015, 06:32 AM)akbkr23 Wrote: These Posts are enough to make me RECONSIDER getting this brush!

There are some much larger 'Manchurian' brushes available now, both in-regards to knot and handle size.

Thank you, JAY

Per my post above, I find the knot of my M6 Manchurian quite different to that of my Simpson Jubilee Machurian. The M6 knot is not as soft as the Jubilee and it's much stiffer. I prefer knots that are soft without a great deal of backbone (e.g. Thater 3-band and Shavemac Finest and 3-band) so I prefer the Jubilee over the M6. It appears, however, that the M6 requires a breaking in period, but it seems mine is not there yet.

7 909
 01-20-2015, 07:05 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-20-2015, 06:32 AM)akbkr23 Wrote: These Posts are enough to make me RECONSIDER getting this brush!

Thank you, JAY

Jay, I've got an M6 and the biggest Manchurian, the Chubby 3, one of my all-time favorite brushes. It's quite a different experience IMO.
The flowthrough of the CH3 is not as good (although fabulous for a 32mm hugely dense knot), it's got more backbone and less splay, and a lot of gentle scrub, without a hint of scritch whatsoever. The M6 feels evidently much smaller, but definitely not too small, and it loses its apparent stiffness after a dozen uses or so, maintaining that scrubby feeling, and losing any hint of scritch. Also, the handle is quite ergonomic, and since it's not too tall, if suits both face as well as bowl latherers. All in all, two superb brushes.
The M6 is sold out though, so you'll have to keep an eye out on the BST.

26 4,928
 01-20-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
In addition to my M6, I own a Chubby 3 Manchurian:
[Image: PhvaB6t.jpg]
The Chubby handle is significantly bigger; the knot is crazy thick and when I face lather, the bristles really inundate my face with lather. Completely different experience. It's like taking a stretch limo out for a drive whereas the M6 is a slick compact car. Both fantastic brushes that get a lot of use by me.

39 3,919
 01-21-2015, 03:59 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info

Obviously the following is just my personal opinion...

While the Simpsons M6 Shave Nook 2014 "LE" is a nice brush, there are things about the handle and knot (construction) I am (still) not 100% sold on. If it didn't happen to be a Shave Nook "LE" brush I wouldn't keep it.

I find the Simpsons Jubilee to be head and shoulders above the Simpsons M6 Shave Nook 2014 "LE". The Jubilee handle is much more comfortable to use. But it is the knot found in the Jubilee that really makes this brush dance circles around the the M6 -- from its very first use, the Jubilee knot has been an absolute pleasure to use.

If I could only select one brush to keep from what I currently own, it would be the Jubilee without a moments hesitation...

23 1,872
 01-21-2015, 07:48 PM
User Info
The more I use the M6, the more I like it. I was a little disappointed with it at first, but it now seems to have softened up a little and I really enjoy using it.

3 737
 01-22-2015, 03:06 PM
User Info
So a question for all of you long timers on this forum.  Very sadly I missed the opportunity to purchase the LE M6.  Do group buys like this happen often on ShaveNook? Any chance of another Simpsons buy coming up soon?

Kevin

9 137
 01-22-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
Can't answer the group buy question but keep an eye out for one on the buying, selling and trading forum. I've seen several offered for sale.

27 396
 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Typically the special brush is a yearly treat.  It isn't always Simpson stepping in and providing the goods, but the past two years have been supplied by them.

Here's hoping for next years being a 2-band Silvertip!

10 757
 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
Have to say if it is, I'd love to try the new Shavemac non-D01 2-band silvertip. I've heard great things about it.

27 396