01-20-2015, 12:27 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Hi!
I have a restore in progress, and I have two knots from TGN on the way. One in 20mm Finest, one 18mm Finest F2, which TGN states is "taken from the Manchurian badger". I know there is a good portion of the wet shaving community who are enamored of Manchurian, but honestly, I don't know enough to understand the difference.

http://thegoldennib.com/wet-shaving/badg...knots.html

The difference in size makes zero difference to me. I like smaller knots so anything in that range is fine, but the diameter might affect things like loft in regards to the characteristics I'm looking for. I hope this brush will end up being a favorite of mine, and one I can find great pleasure in using.
Both knots are 60mm loft. I bowl lather, so thinking of a final loft in the 50-52mm range. Not looking for flop. I want some backbone, but I would like a bit of splay on the face. Mostly use soaps, but some creams.
Taking the information above into consideration, those of you who have experience in both knots, I would appreciate opinions and suggestions, and also feedback on the loft height I mention for these type and diameter knots.

2 1,683
 01-20-2015, 04:55 AM
User Info
Greetings,

You've opened a confusing can of worms. I don't know why TGN calls it Manchurian, 2-Band or what F2 means. On this subject I believe there's been much discussion and some inconsistency. For me and it seems for others, the Finest 2-band is their go-to knot. Great backbone, good flow-through, nice looking and slight scritch to the tips that I like. The F2 seems more like a Silvertip 3-band. I like it but in my opinion there is nothing premium about it.

Given that we are dealing with a natural product and miscellaneous sources, consistency in aftermarket knots is elusive. Even the highest-end brushes vary. Add the random nature of badger grade terminology and it becomes a total gamble for us end users as to what we're going to get.

No matter what, I wouldn't set the knot any higher than 50 mm.

Here is a photo of 5 restorations, all using TGN knots. Keep in mind that if you bought these knots today, they might look quite different depending on what batches of badger are current:

[Image: oc34a79.jpg]

Left to right they are:

Ever-Ready 100 (hole enlarged) w/ 22 mm Finest F2 (very wide glue bump, looks like a 24 mm to me!)
Lath-R-Ade with 22 mm Super Badger bulb. Very little bloom with this knot.
Ever-Ready 100 w/ 20 mm Finest Fan at 50 mm
Ever-Ready 200 w/ 22 mm Silvertip bulb. Interestingly, standard grade, by far the softest tips, great flow-through, a little less backbone and not quite as white tips. A delightful knot/brush! "Cloud-like." My go-to for creams.
McNess w/24 mm Finest Fan at 50 mm

Good luck. I like 'em all!

2 205
 01-20-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
My recollection is that there has been some negative discussion on the Finest F2 on that other shaving site, but don't quote me on it. Quick google search should find it.

52 1,175
 01-20-2015, 05:40 AM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
Excellent summary, Grande. It is simply impossible to understand all of the different grades and descriptions of badger knots from one supplier or manufacturer to the next. As he stated, simply the inconsistency of such a natural product does not allow for predictability. Unless one has unlimited funds to just experiment with multiple options, go with one that most gents seem to like, and then if you like it, stick with it. Just my opinion.

Matt

(01-20-2015, 04:55 AM)Grande Wrote: Greetings,

You've opened a confusing can of worms. I don't know why TGN calls it Manchurian, 2-Band or what F2 means. On this subject I believe there's been much discussion and some inconsistency. For me and it seems for others, the Finest 2-band is their go-to knot. Great backbone, good flow-through, nice looking and slight scritch to the tips that I like. The F2 seems more like a Silvertip 3-band. I like it but in my opinion there is nothing premium about it.

Given that we are dealing with a natural product and miscellaneous sources, consistency in aftermarket knots is elusive. Even the highest-end brushes vary. Add the random nature of badger grade terminology and it becomes a total gamble for us end users as to what we're going to get.

No matter what, I wouldn't set the knot any higher than 50 mm.

Here is a photo of 5 restorations, all using TGN knots. Keep in mind that if you bought these knots today, they might look quite different depending on what batches of badger are current:

[Image: oc34a79.jpg]

Left to right they are:

Ever-Ready 100 (hole enlarged) w/ 22 mm Finest F2 (very wide glue bump, looks like a 24 mm to me!)
Lath-R-Ade with 22 mm Super Badger bulb. Very little bloom with this knot.
Ever-Ready 100 w/ 20 mm Finest Fan at 50 mm
Ever-Ready 200 w/ 22 mm Silvertip bulb. Interestingly, standard grade, by far the softest tips, great flow-through, a little less backbone and not quite as white tips. A delightful knot/brush! "Cloud-like." My go-to for creams.
McNess w/24 mm Finest Fan at 50 mm

Good luck. I like 'em all!

0 62
 01-20-2015, 06:49 AM
User Info
I'd heard the negatives on the F2, which is why my recent custom was done with the standard Finest 2-band bulb (20mm). Soft tips, no scritch, no shed, good backbone and flowthrough. It works.

29 1,776
 01-20-2015, 07:17 AM
User Info
(01-20-2015, 06:49 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I'd heard the negatives on the F2, which is why my recent custom was done with the standard Finest 2-band bulb (20mm). Soft tips, no scritch, no shed, good backbone and flowthrough. It works.

The negative in the F2 for me was it simply not being what I expected. I expected a higher grade of the standard Finest; 2-band with whiter, softer tips. It is none of those things.

It's still a very nice grade of badger that I'm glad to have. I find it similar to a Simpson Best with maybe a little more backbone..

2 205
 01-20-2015, 07:36 AM
User Info
(01-20-2015, 04:55 AM)Grande Wrote: [Image: oc34a79.jpg]

Lovely restorations, Grande!

13 100
 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM
User Info
I can't speak for the F2, but I've used the finest bulb and fan in 22mm and 24mm and they are fantastic. I think they're the perfect balance between softness and backbone.

I'd also recommend purchasing a fan knot if you like a little more splay.

0 33
 01-20-2015, 08:36 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thanks, guys!
And I concur;Grande, lovely restores!

2 1,683