01-20-2015, 07:46 AM
User Info
I have a few of the TGN finest knots, and they're fantastic. I'm going to be placing another order for a few restores soon, and noticed the new Super 3 band finest. TGN describes them as softer and a bit more flexible than the standard finest knot. I was curious to see if anyone had tried these yet, and get your thoughts.

Thanks,
Barry

0 33
 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM
User Info
I had one of the older 2-band Super Finests and it was a good knot, a touch softer than the regular Finest. I've noticed this new 3-band on the TGN site, haven't read any feedback yet, but would be interested in trying one. I'd probably opt for a lower loft to keep some backbone and hide that third band so I could pass it off as a 2-. Smile

29 1,776
 01-20-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
(01-20-2015, 08:01 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I had one of the older 2-band Super Finests and it was a good knot, a touch softer than the regular Finest. I've noticed this new 3-band on the TGN site, haven't read any feedback yet, but would be interested in trying one. I'd probably opt for a lower loft to keep some backbone and hide that third band so I could pass it off as a 2-. Smile
I like the backbone from the finest they currently have, so the description of softer, more flexible, has kept me from pulling the trigger so far. But, just like everything else in this hobby, if it gets great reviews, I will probably end up giving it a try.

0 33
 01-20-2015, 08:06 AM
User Info
The question got me to looking and I found this review:
http://dood.ca/2014/10/03/the-golden-nib...dger-knot/
Sounds okay, but the regular works well enough that this is one occasion where I don't feel the need to "upgrade."

29 1,776
 01-20-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
(01-20-2015, 08:06 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: The question got me to looking and I found this review:
http://dood.ca/2014/10/03/the-golden-nib...dger-knot/
Sounds okay, but the regular works well enough that this is one occasion where I don't feel the need to "upgrade."
Thanks for the link. It answered a few of my quesions/concerns.

0 33
 01-21-2015, 06:14 AM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

In my particular case my experience with TGN is not good at all. A lot of hair loss. Anyway I which luck to the buyers.

Thanks
Ken

22 209
 01-21-2015, 12:44 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Interesting, I have three tgn finest knots and I don't think I have lost a single hair from any of them. The quality and performance are pretty amazing for what you pay

17 447
 01-21-2015, 08:23 PM
User Info
I've had several and I don't think I've lost a single hair either. To be fair, I've only used the synthetic and finest knots. May be a quality control issue with different grades?

0 33
 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been using TGN two band finest knots for years now. Not a single problem ever. Three band finest knots are too new for me to have tried in earnest, but I have received them from TGN before when they were named "Finest F2". I did not want to use them in my brushes until I heard a few reviews, so I exchanged them for the regular two band finest ones. I would be interested in hearing opinions on them. From what I saw when I got them they did have a three band appearance and the tips were not as white as the two band, but lately some of two band knots I've been getting from TGN also were greyish at the tips rather than white. They still perform amazingly well and I expect the three band finest is also an excellent knot. I will build a brush with one of them and do my own testing. One thing for sure is that I have never experienced a TGN finest knot I did not like. They are usually excellent products at an amazing price. I've been making brushes using them for a while now and have nothing but positive response. I have also been using TGN two band finest knots in my own brushes for years now and that has caused me to get rid of most of my Simpsons and other big name badger brushes.

--
Vladimir

26 1,751
 01-22-2015, 06:29 AM
User Info
(01-22-2015, 06:11 AM)vferdman Wrote: I have been using TGN two band finest knots for years now. Not a single problem ever. Three band finest knots are too new for me to have tried in earnest, but I have received them from TGN before when they were named "Finest F2". I did not want to use them in my brushes until I heard a few reviews, so I exchanged them for the regular two band finest ones. I would be interested in hearing opinions on them. From what I saw when I got them they did have a three band appearance and the tips were not as white as the two band, but lately some of two band knots I've been getting from TGN also were greyish at the tips rather than white. They still perform amazingly well and I expect the three band finest is also an excellent knot. I will build a brush with one of them and do my own testing. One thing for sure is that I have never experienced a TGN finest knot I did not like. They are usually excellent products at an amazing price. I've been making brushes using them for a while now and have nothing but positive response. I have also been using TGN two band finest knots in my own brushes for years now and that has caused me to get rid of most of my Simpsons and other big name badger brushes.

--
Vladimir

My sentiments exactly. The TGN 2 band finest knot has never shed and I must have it in 30 brushes. The combination of soft tips and backbone make the knot and all around good choice for any handle. There is not a Simpsons or M & F that I have owned that I like  better. A Thater 2 band finest is equal. I think it is amusing how some will not even consider a brush without a big name on it and avoid TGN knots, particularly the 2 band finest.

54 332
 01-22-2015, 06:51 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-22-2015, 06:29 AM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: My sentiments exactly. The TGN 2 band finest knot has never shed and I must have it in 30 brushes. The combination of soft tips and backbone make the knot and all around good choice for any handle. There is not a Simpsons or M & F that I have owned that I like  better. A Thater 2 band finest is equal. I think it is amusing how some will not even consider a brush without a big name on it and avoid TGN knots, particularly the 2 band finest.

I just saw a BST post with five used brushes for sale ranging from $100 to $150. I thought none of them are any better than a brand new TGN two band brush you could get for well under $100 in a much more interesting handle design or even a custom. Go figure...

--
Vladimir

26 1,751
 01-24-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
Finest badgers from TGN never worked for me
I don't say that they are "bad",they just didn't let me satisfied like other badgers from that brand.

0 353
 01-24-2015, 01:07 PM
User Info
ive used TGN for several reknots and have not had a problem.ive got 12 handles waiting to reknot and will use TGN in all of them.the difficult part is deciding which knot for which handle

0 1
 01-24-2015, 04:59 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I have both a HMW 3 band TGN and a Super Fine 2 Band. I got lucky with both. However, the issue with TGN is consistency. You simply never know what you will end up with.

In terms of consistency I can highly recommend Thäter and shavemac. More costly, but a good return on your investment.

39 1,892
 01-24-2015, 05:47 PM
  • Sevenbark
  • Lower Clinch River Valley
User Info
(01-24-2015, 04:59 PM)German Wrote: I have both a HMW 3 band TGN and a Super Fine 2 Band. I got lucky with both. However, the issue with TGN is consistency. You simply never know what you will end up with.

In terms of consistency I can highly recommend Thäter and shavemac. More costly, but a good return on your investment.

Can you buy aThater knot? I know you can buy Shavemac.

13 259
 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Sevenba Wrote:
German Wrote:I have both a HMW 3 band TGN and a Super Fine 2 Band. I got lucky with both. However, the issue with TGN is consistency. You simply never know what you will end up with.

Can you buy aThater knot? I know you can buy Shavemac.

No, you will have to buy a Thäter brush.

39 1,892