01-20-2015, 08:56 AM
User Info
I was in my office gym on Saturday. I like to shave there because of the great size and excellent lighting of the bathroom. It's also peaceful in the middle of the day and even more so on weekends.

I spotted a fellow who looked to be in his late 20s shaving with a DE razor. I asked him what kind it was. He responded that he didn't know -- his dad had given it to him! From what I could see, it might have been a DE89.

He advanced the "DE is cheaper" argument. I laughed and said, "As long as you don't get caught up in the collecting mania!"

I didn't see a brush or cream/soap. It looked like he was using the cream that the gym supplies -- not canned goo, but nothing special either.

8 915
 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM
User Info
I always have to laugh at the "DE is cheaper" argument. I've managed to spend in the last 4 months probably double or triple the amount I would have spent in a lifetime of shaving with cartridges.

57 284
 01-20-2015, 09:50 AM
User Info
What the suggested argument is referring too, is how expensive it is for carts, solely. I use to use them. They do not last long, you're always only going to get a small handful of good shaves and you don't know that there is a cheaper investment waiting for you around the corner. $17 for a ten pack of cartridges monthly or even sometimes twice a month is ridiculous when compared to an initial DE razor purchase, and hundreds of blades for the same price as two packs of carts, and the single DE blades last a year or more.

The choices we personally make to continue buying new razors, soaps, brushes, etc is a choice/preference in this collectors hobby. So, the argument, to me is fairly true that traditional shaving is better and cheaper than modern shaving.

I'm just happy that you have a younger fella participating in this great ritual of wet shaving.

1 1,975
 01-21-2015, 02:39 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-20-2015, 09:08 AM)happydaze Wrote: I always have to laugh at the "DE is cheaper" argument. I've managed to spend in the last 4 months probably double or triple the amount I would have spent in a lifetime of shaving with cartridges.

Biggrin Tongue

One year ago today, on 2014 January 21, our CABS (cabinet-above-the-bathroom-sink) contained:

1. One razor:  a Schick Hydro cartridge razor handle;
  2. The penultimate Hydro5 cartridge of a pack on the razor itself;
  3. One additional unused Hydro5 cartridge still in the pack;
  4. An as yet unopened pack of Hydro3 cartridges;
  5. A Vulfix 2234S Super Badger brush purchased at George & Sons Cutlery; George's, which opened in the 19th century and remained in business for over a century, closed its doors permanently sometime in the mid-1990s.
  6. One almost used up puck of Camamu (locally made in Portland) shave soap;
  7. One as yet unopened puck of Colonel Conk Amber shave soap. 
  8. Two plastic tubes of shaving cream for travel. 
Three months later, as of 2014 April 21, the contents of the CABS remained effectively unchanged; it contained the same items listed above, except some used Hydro cartridges had been discarded, and the puck of Camamu had been completely used up. In March I had ventured to purchase a puck of Provence Santé Green Tea shaving soap, and, as the Provence Santé puck had replaced the unopened Colonel Conk (item 7), our son took the unopened puck of Colonel Conk home with him on one of his visits here in the past months.   

Today, nine months further on, of the above eight line items, only: 
  • The Schick Hydro razor handle (item 1) remains in the CABS;
  • Three of the Hydro3 cartridges (item 4) remain, one of them on the handle, remain in the CABS;
  • The Vulfix badger brush (item 5) remains in the CABS; and
  • The partially used tubes of shaving cream and the partially used puck of Provence Santé soap remain in the CABS. 
HOWEVER.  Joining the above -- so far -- in the CABS are:  
  • A Standard Razors DE razor;
  • A Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor;
  • Spare cartridges for the MR3 neo;
  • About ten (from an original 25) Gillette Silver Blue DE blades;
  • About ten (from an original 20) Wizamet packaged Iridium Super DE blades;
  • About five (from an original ten) KAI DE blades;
  • A Muhle STF v2 shaving brush; 
  • A Plisson (L'Occitaine Cade) synthetic shaving brush;
  • A tin of Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood, & Black papper shave soap;
  • A tin of RazoRock XXX shave soap;
  • An acacia bowl of Cold River Soap Works Vetiver Terreux shave soap.
AND.  In transit to me -- arriving any day now -- are: 
  • A Maggard MR5 DE razor; and
  • An iKon Slant DLC (not the 102, but the high-end iKon Slant) razor head.
I simply cannot make a credible case that purchasing the Standard Razors razor, my first DE razor, at the end of last April is saving me money.

1 1,087
 01-21-2015, 03:07 AM
User Info
your gym fellow is doing good!

when i used carts i rarely wanted to shave at all (once a month, if that). with de i do it several times a week and look smashing Smile that's my argument.

7 1,624
 02-02-2015, 07:42 AM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
Well yesterday I observed a mid-twenties looking fellow using a straight in the gym bathroom.  Surely that's a good sign.

29 330
 02-03-2015, 09:20 PM
User Info
(02-02-2015, 07:42 AM)okok Wrote: Well yesterday I observed a mid-twenties looking fellow using a straight in the gym bathroom.  Surely that's a good sign.

Some of them are actually evolving at an earlier age! Thumbup

83 21,077
 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM
User Info
Those are really good signs!

Blade shaving can be less expensive, we just choose to make it not so. Not everyone has the cabinet full of gear, that's what makes it expensive.

32 6,459
 03-06-2015, 12:16 PM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 09:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Blade shaving can be less expensive

With the various shave forums, reviews, online vendors etc that are available, i have no idea how folk control themselves. I agree that theoretically, DE shaving can work out cheaper, but i don't have a chance in hell

0 36
 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM
User Info
That is one strange guy you met there

21 1,175