01-21-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
Good evening gents!

To further broaden my wet shaving experience I have started to look at the older Shick & Pal injectors. I have never tried one and im interested in giving one a run. I do not currently have the funds for a Cobra or Mongoose and if I ever did spend that kind of money on a razor my wife would kill me, make me into chum, feed me to our koi, and pull a Forest Gump's mom by telling my daughter I went on vacation until she is old enough to know better.

So, which would you recommend being a good one to start with? I do not know if they have levels of aggressiveness or anything though I have seen a couple with the dial. If they do my go to razor is an R89. That level or something along that line that maybe a whisker hair more aggressive I would be comfortable with. From what I've read I know the right blade makes a world of difference. More so than with a DE. I look forward to everyone's opinion!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

147 3,464
 01-21-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
Schick injectors get milder the farther up the alphabet scale they go, and there will be a definite difference in feel between a Type G or I, and an L or M. The M-type adjustable will give you a bunch of aggression options in one package, though you'll pay more for a good one. But they can always be turned around if you decide to move up or down the scale later.

Drugstore.com sells Schick injector blades, and that's a good place to start.

29 1,776
 01-21-2015, 06:32 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info. Gives me a good idea where to start. Guess I will track down an adjustable and see how she runs! Smile

147 3,464
 01-21-2015, 08:03 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I have an E, G, and an I. The I1 is definitely my favorite. I'd love to find a nickel L series.

18 1,186
 01-28-2015, 09:20 PM
User Info
The great thing about the Schicks is that it is almost difficult to nick or cut yourself with them, yet they can give a close shave.  I just love the older ones such as the bakelite E models with the caramel colored swirl handles, but my favorites are the G2 & G3 gold models that only came out in the Christmas versions in 1946 &1947, but they're usually pricey.  Here are mine on Jody's website:
http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php   I tell myself that they shave the best, but I'm afraid it's just because I paid too much for them and it makes me feel better   Blush

13 193
 01-28-2015, 09:54 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-21-2015, 03:31 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Good evening gents!

To further broaden my wet shaving experience I have started to look at the older Shick & Pal injectors. I have never tried one and im interested in giving one a run. I do not currently have the funds for a Cobra or Mongoose and if I ever did spend that kind of money on a razor my wife would kill me, make me into chum, feed me to our koi, and pull a Forest Gump's mom by telling my daughter I went on vacation until she is old enough to know better.

So, which would you recommend being a good one to start with? I do not know if they have levels of aggressiveness or anything though I have seen a couple with the dial. If they do my go to razor is an R89. That level or something along that line that maybe a whisker hair more aggressive I would be comfortable with. From what I've read I know the right blade makes a world of difference. More so than with a DE. I look forward to everyone's opinion!

In 1962, when I was a college undergraduate, and never had shaved except with an electric shaver, I purchased -- for $1.75 -- a new PAL stainless adjustable injector razor strictly as an objet d'art.

Six years later, in 1968, I still never had shaved other than with an electric razor, but I boarded a ship in Yokohama bound for San Francisco that had electrical mains outlets incompatible with my electric shaver.  So during that two-week voyage, and  with an aerosol can of goop I had purchased,  I used that PAL stainless adjustable for the first time.  By the time I arrived in San Francisco, I was a convert to wet shaving.  

So how could I not recommend the PAL stainless adjustable?  

[Image: cGpAhvK.jpg]

0 1,054
 01-29-2015, 02:24 AM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 09:54 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-21-2015, 03:31 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Good evening gents!

In 1962, when I was a college undergraduate, and never had shaved except with an electric shaver, I purchased -- for $1.75 -- a new PAL stainless adjustable injector razor strictly as an objet d'art.

Six years later, in 1968, I still never had shaved other than with an electric razor, but I boarded a ship in Yokohama bound for San Francisco that had electrical mains outlets incompatible with my electric shaver.  So during that two-week voyage, and  with an aerosol can of goop I had purchased,  I used that PAL stainless adjustable for the first time.  By the time I arrived in San Francisco, I was a convert to wet shaving.  

So how could I not recommend the PAL stainless adjustable?  

[Image: cGpAhvK.jpg]

I have actually seen several of those and was tempted. I wound up obtaining a Shick adjustable. I member was king enough to provide me with some blades so i will be having my 1st shave with it this morning! Smile

147 3,464
 01-29-2015, 03:11 AM
User Info
@cpool222. A nick maybe difficult bit I love a challenge and succeeded lol. One little one due to being careless.

Had my 1st shave just a little bit ago with the Schick and all I can say is WOW! This is one great little razor! The speed and comfort of the shave was impressive. I started off with it set on 4 but turned it up to 5. BBS in no time with no irritation. I did get a little careless and got a tiny nick at my adams apple but other than that it was perfect. Will def be using this more often. No my DE's will not collect dust but it is a very nice change to my shave!

147 3,464
 06-20-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
I like the G8 and the I2 Hydro-Magic. Love the Pal but the handle I found awkward to hold..

20 346
 06-20-2015, 02:57 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(01-21-2015, 06:21 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: Schick injectors get milder the farther up the alphabet scale they go, and there will be a definite difference in feel between a Type G or I, and an L or M. The M-type adjustable will give you a bunch of aggression options in one package, though you'll pay more for a good one. But they can always be turned around if you decide to move up or down the scale later.

Drugstore.com sells Schick injector blades, and that's a good place to start.

+1, here a type M is always out & ready.  I'm an admitted Schickhead, have them all from A to O, but past the Type G (M excepted) they are too mild for my taste.  I have several Type M's stockpiled.   Using an injector is so easy it's like cheating  Biggrin

43 461
 06-21-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
My daily driver is a J-2, and occasionally I break out my B-1, and a Pristine J-3 w/case in storage.  My 7 y/o has an I-2 Hydro-Magic and  L-3 "Grip" waiting on him, along with 5 brushes.

1 180
 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM
User Info
It may be a bit late to revive this thread, but I would like to add my two cents.

Have been using a Pal adjustable stainless injector now for about 6 months.  I began to use it for travel, as an alternative to a cartridge razor.

It is a terrific razor.  Can be quite aggressive, particularly if you dial it up to 5 (which I do, with amazing results).   I am using my supply of Schick Platinum Plus blades, and with these, it comes close to the shave of a Cobra Classic.   Very close, non-irritating.   It's a light razor, so some pressure is needed.  And the shaving angle is critical, so you need to experiment.

These days, I am using it with a Rooney Finest and Tabula Rasa.   A great shave.

Stanley

2 155
 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM
User Info
I  recently got a NOS L1 and a J model.  I was impressed with the shaves, like shaving with a cartridge with DE results. Thumbup

0 31
 08-25-2015, 06:58 PM
User Info
I have a little Hydro Magic that I really enjoy using from time to time.

61 3,796
 08-25-2015, 07:18 PM
User Info
There are some Personna floating head appeared on ebay recently.
I have one and it is a nice razor.

2 121
 08-26-2015, 03:48 AM
User Info
I've only got a Golden 500 and a I2 Hydro-Magic and they're both pretty mild, they are quite smooth but i find more often than not that i have to go over an area multiple times to get a smooth shave, no irritation though and i think they would be perfect for guys with sensitive skin.

7 783
 08-26-2015, 07:00 AM
User Info
(08-26-2015, 03:48 AM)AndyC Wrote: . . . i think they would be perfect for guys with sensitive skin.

They are. At least the N3 is. It's my Mongoose (Cobra, Wolfman, OneBlade, etc.).

29 1,776
 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
I have a lot of Injectors coming in and it'll be my first time with these razors. I believe there's a type E, J, L and K but can't confirm till I see it with my own eyes. Any suggestions on what to try first? I've also been after a Cobra due to its unique design but I think the injectors would be a good substitute till it's available again.

0 82
 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM
User Info
The L-type is a good middle-of-the-roader from which you can gauge aggressiveness. If it seems too mild then move on to the E; too aggressive, try the J.

29 1,776
 08-31-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
(08-25-2015, 06:58 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I have a little Hydro Magic that I really enjoy using from time to time.

My favorite and go-to injector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 346