01-23-2015, 12:51 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
It's nice to know we have so many perfect (and perfectly gentlemanly) drivers here at The Shave Nook.  Angel 24 

2 5,000
 01-23-2015, 06:02 PM
User Info
(01-23-2015, 11:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: Almost as bad as those VW Diesel owners. Biggrin

Heh! I am a great driver, never had an accident and have only gotten two speeding tickets in 32 years of driving!  Biggrin

90 21,251
 01-24-2015, 07:42 AM
  • Sevenbark
  • Lower Clinch River Valley
User Info
What gets me is many are oblivious when they are around school buses. If thair were a device that kept phones from working in a vehicle people would try to drive as they hung out of their windows so they could talk on there phones. Seen a guy yesterday talking on his cell phone as he set threw a green light. I talk using a hands free device.

22 313
 01-24-2015, 08:25 AM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
As much as this behavior annoys me when I'm driving in a car, it frightens the ____ out of me when I'm out on my bicycle.

I would prefer not think about the number of near-death experiences I've had over the years. 

I can only say that it seems to continually get worse, as there are always myriad new distractions for drivers to use to entertain themselves in lieu of paying attention to the actual demands of operating a vehicle safely.

When I am in the car or on my bike, I have developed the habit of trying to observe the heads of the drivers around me. It is very easy sometimes to predict who will pull a thoughtless, stupid, carelessly dangerous stunt by seeing the tilt of someone's noggin. I have avoided many a mishap by guessing with a high degree of accuracy that some is poised to do something dumb simply by noticing that their eyes are pointed in exactly the wrong direction.

I have seen innumerable women applying make-up and more than a few men shaving with electric razors while moving at highway speeds. Once, I saw a guy shaving dry with a disposable safety razor while creeping along in traffic headed into the Lincoln Tunnel on the way to NYC. Some of these same folks are eating bagels and Egg McSomethings while driving. The unfolded newspaper has been replaced by texting, though the adult sippy cup is still ubiquitous. Progress, right?

I am not perfect when I drive, but I do try to imagine myself or someone like me on a bicycle when I'm driving the car. It tends to make me way more cognizant of the responsiblity that comes with driving a car.

11 517
 01-24-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
I could tell you why about the Prii drivers, but I won't since it would be a political post. BTW, we have a Prius, and I might be the only politically conservative Prius driver on the planet, maybe. I had some armament at a Practical Pistol Match one day and the gent I was showing it to commented about the juxtaposition of the armament and the Prius. The 2 just didn't match. Maybe everyone at the shoot thought I was one of "them" (the other folks). I have no idea and didn't and don't care; I didn't take a poll.

In Maine we're getting more and more crappy drivers. I have a friend who drove a big scary dump truck. He finally stopped driving it and found another way to make a living. He gave it up after almost killing a mom and her kids. He had a full load on, and she just sedately pulled out and cut him off going downhill, he doing 60mph or more. A full load of gravel does NOT stop on a dime. Some stupid drivers get the Darwin award for removing their genetic material from the gene pool, she almost did for herself and her children. That incident was the final straw for him. It made no difference to him that she was the doer and he would have been the victim.

German, I drove on the Autobahn for 3 years and when I went back to the states I realized why German drivers are better. It has to do with folks getting Darwin awards or not. The crappy drivers in Germany have removed themselves because of the speeds involved. Over here they live through their accidents to have other accidents. They simply don't have the ease with which to remove themselves from the ranks of drivers, so they abound. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

32 6,566
 01-24-2015, 02:32 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
In the UK, to avoid collisions with bicycle riders as you egress from your vehicle, a motto was invented which I always remember: "Think once; think twice; think bike". I always check before I get out of my car. The same kinds of mottos might be invented for other situations. We should have a competition. (?)

I drive defensively; tailgaters annoy the crap out of me, but I don't antagonise them, much as I want to have at them. I let them pass. Then my feelings pass. I'm safe. 

When you get angry with someone, it's like picking up and throwing a red-hot coal at them. All you do is burn your own hand in the process.

0 2,095
 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM
User Info
I chased to young uns in lamborghini's out in the Oregon desert going to a car show some years ago. 4 wheel drifts and speeds that were insane.  my amg kept up and my wife still talks about it fondly.  very similar to the Nevada silverstate type runs.

80 1,451
 01-24-2015, 04:55 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(01-24-2015, 12:54 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: German, I drove on the Autobahn for 3 years and when I went back to the states I realized why German drivers are better. It has to do with folks getting Darwin awards or not. The crappy drivers in Germany have removed themselves because of the speeds involved. Over here they live through their accidents to have other accidents. They simply don't have the ease with which to remove themselves from the ranks of drivers, so they abound. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

LOL

43 2,071
 01-25-2015, 08:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-24-2015, 08:25 AM)robk Wrote: As much as this behavior annoys me when I'm driving in a car, it frightens the ____ out of me when I'm out on my bicycle.

I would prefer not think about the number of near-death experiences I've had over the years. 

I can only say that it seems to continually get worse, as there are always myriad new distractions for drivers to use to entertain themselves in lieu of paying attention to the actual demands of operating a vehicle safely.

When I am in the car or on my bike, I have developed the habit of trying to observe the heads of the drivers around me. It is very easy sometimes to predict who will pull a thoughtless, stupid, carelessly dangerous stunt by seeing the tilt of someone's noggin. I have avoided many a mishap by guessing with a high degree of accuracy that some is poised to do something dumb simply by noticing that their eyes are pointed in exactly the wrong direction.

I have seen innumerable women applying make-up and more than a few men shaving with electric razors while moving at highway speeds. Once, I saw a guy shaving dry with a disposable safety razor while creeping along in traffic headed into the Lincoln Tunnel on the way to NYC. Some of these same folks are eating bagels and Egg McSomethings while driving. The unfolded newspaper has been replaced by texting, though the adult sippy cup is still ubiquitous. Progress, right?

I am not perfect when I drive, but I do try to imagine myself or someone like me on a bicycle when I'm driving the car. It tends to make me way more cognizant of the responsiblity that comes with driving a car.

I have actually seen people eating cereal while driving. I could not believe my eyes.

52 20,609
 01-25-2015, 12:22 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(01-25-2015, 08:12 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 08:25 AM)robk Wrote: As much as this behavior annoys me when I'm driving in a car, it frightens the ____ out of me when I'm out on my bicycle.

I have actually seen people eating cereal while driving. I could not believe my eyes.

Phil, I actually took a taxi to the airport at 4:00 in the morning with the taxi driver doing just that! Needless to say, I was never so happy to get out of a taxi in my life!

2 5,000
 01-25-2015, 01:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Looks like I opened a can of worms...

13 3,411
 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've been without a car for almost two years. As a dedicated walker NOBODY is immune from  condemnation. I had a woman in a green SUV; personalized license IMIRISH almost hit me in the crosswalk. She slammed on the brakes inches from me. This guy starts YELLING for me to MOVE- they're in a HURRY.
I let loose with a Joyceian stream of consciousness assault of gaelic asking if she's the product of a Orangeman and a goat. The man opens his coat to reveal a clerical collar and I renewed my invective about my great grandfather being excommunicated for being in a 'proscribed organization'. He turned paler than me.
 Now I'm on the sidewalk and some bozo  comes blasting down on a racing bike. I stand my ground, no choice with a backpack and two shopping bags full of groceries@ 50 lbs and he crashes into a utility pole. He's alternately swearing at and pleading I call 911. I lean over. ' Use the street next time' and walk on.
Now  I am in my Apartment complex and this EMO girl comes out of her unit talking with her Bluetooth? or whatever. I remember when people who talked to
nobody in the vicinity received prescriptions and psychiatric counsel. She walks right into me. Again, I'm hot, winded and packing 50 lbs of food. She screams
about my watching out for where SHE'S going. I reply 'Hurry, there's a six foot tall sister in snakeskin hotpants on your stretch of the sidewalk stealing your customers' She gives me a finger with $200 worth of sparkly fingernail art.
I walk inside my apartment. Pyewacket bites my ankle until I sit down with him ensconced in my lap. he looks at me like ' Why do you do that to yourself'?

2 3,171
 01-26-2015, 12:27 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-23-2015, 12:21 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Living in Washington, where it rains much of the time, no one up here knows how to drive in it. Always driving Ten below the speed limit and still causing accidents.

A good part of that is the Big Secret of the Tire Industry:  it created a monster and cannot escape the trap it got itself into.  So-called "All Season" tires are really "No Season" tires.  In controlled testing against regular tires (now often misleadingly caller "Summer Tires") All Season tires always have much longer wet pavement stopping distances in emergency braking than regular tires do.  That is because the "all-season" designation comes about through a chemical composition of the tread compound that causes the inherently hydrophobic ("water-hating") nature of rubber compounds to become hydrophylic ("water-loving") so that they will stick to snow and have some traction in light snow.  (Because the tread patterns of all-season tires typically have high land-to-void ratios, all-season tires are as useless in deep snow -- more than a centimeter or so -- as regular tires are, and the are inferior to regular tires on slush, for the reason I explain below.)  

If snow will stick to the tire -- that is, the tire does not shed water readily -- then on wet pavement, there is always a water (on the tread) to water (on the pavement) interface with an all-season tire, and water operates as a fair lubricant.  The tire companies' advertising copy writers, who know nothing about the physics of friction, exploit the simplistic (but 180° wrong) concept that "if a tire has traction on show, then it must be better in rain, too."  In fact, for the reason stated above, for the tire-to-pavement interface, snow and rain present diametrically opposite problems.  

But because of the common misunderstanding, almost all new cars sold in America today are fitted with all-season tires.  So watch out when it rains.  

1 1,352
 01-28-2015, 04:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-25-2015, 05:13 PM)kav Wrote: I've been without a car for almost two years. As a dedicated walker NOBODY is immune from  condemnation. I had a woman in a green SUV; personalized license IMIRISH almost hit me in the crosswalk. She slammed on the brakes inches from me. This guy starts YELLING for me to MOVE- they're in a HURRY.
I let loose with a Joyceian stream of consciousness assault of gaelic asking if she's the product of a Orangeman and a goat. The man opens his coat to reveal a clerical collar and I renewed my invective about my great grandfather being excommunicated for being in a 'proscribed organization'. He turned paler than me.
 Now I'm on the sidewalk and some bozo  comes blasting down on a racing bike. I stand my ground, no choice with a backpack and two shopping bags full of groceries@ 50 lbs and he crashes into a utility pole. He's alternately swearing at and pleading I call 911. I lean over. ' Use the street next time' and walk on.
Now  I am in my Apartment complex and this EMO girl comes out of her unit talking with her Bluetooth? or whatever. I remember when people who talked to
nobody in the vicinity received prescriptions and psychiatric counsel. She walks right into me. Again, I'm hot, winded and packing 50 lbs of food. She screams
about my watching out for where SHE'S going. I reply 'Hurry, there's a six foot tall sister in snakeskin hotpants on your stretch of the sidewalk stealing your customers' She gives me a finger with $200 worth of sparkly fingernail art.
I walk inside my apartment. Pyewacket bites my ankle until I sit down with him ensconced in my lap. he looks at me like ' Why do you do that to yourself'?

funny story!

13 3,411