01-07-2018, 04:47 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
What's going on with Wolfman Razors?  I can't seem to get a response from James.  has he stopped making razors?

3 530
 01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
User Info
(01-07-2018, 04:47 PM)DLP Wrote: What's going on with Wolfman Razors?  I can't seem to get a response from James.  has he stopped making razors?

More likely than not, he receives an email every 15 minutes of his day from one of us pining for another razor!  It has got to be really hard to respond to all of the emails! Just my hunch, I don't have a better way of contacting him.

75 2,345
 01-08-2018, 11:19 PM
User Info
I was talking to Brian from Charcoal Goods today and he and I were talking razors and shaving and eventually we talked about high polished razors and he was saying James hand polishes each razor and Brian said people have no idea how much work that takes and it's not like James is farming that out to a finishing shop which would probably open up some more free time for him to make more razors than he can now.  He's doing it all himself and a true artisan! So yeah I can completely understand why he can't answer all the emails from people like myself who doesn't have even one of his beautiful razors. I've always had so much respect for this man's work but after talking to Brian that increased by 200%. Guys like James and Brian are one man operations and they are very aware of the demand for their razors and do their best to fill orders.  

Oh and for the guys that have one or more.. be thankful or consider yourself lucky you have at least one of these gems. I've been waiting 2 yrs now to get one from James and I'll just keep waiting and hopefully I'll get lucky one day like some of you have.

0 159
 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM
User Info
Ummm I guess I shouldn’t tell you... but I’ve got 6 wolfman razors. 2 stainless. 2 titanium. And 2 brass. All with a matching stand. And I kid you not they’re all bnib never used even once haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

0 30
 01-13-2018, 01:08 AM
User Info
(01-12-2018, 09:45 PM)NoLimit Wrote: Ummm I guess I shouldn’t tell you... but I’ve got 6 wolfman razors. 2 stainless. 2 titanium. And 2 brass. All with a matching stand. And I kid you not they’re all bnib never used even once haha

OMG, I'd dream of having one ... to shave with one of them. And here you have 6 all NIB ??  
 Why not shave with them and enjoy them?

30 568
 01-13-2018, 05:29 AM
User Info
I have owned 2 Wolfmans and they are great razors , beautiful craftsmanship .

20 320
 01-13-2018, 07:06 AM
User Info
Had one and helped out a fellow nooker and sold it to them now I regret it since I have moved on to more aggressive razors. Now I'm currently looking for one but no one is selling Sad.

49 359
 01-13-2018, 07:49 AM
User Info
I was lucky twice on getting a Wolfman , once from a fellow Nooker and on another occasion when they were actually available on the site . Got rid of them twice for a Paradigm Ti razor . I honestly can't say I regret it . My Paradigm Ti is the perfect razor for me . This by no means Wolfmans aren't worth it because they ABSOLUTELY are . James does beautiful work and I feel very lucky to have owned two of them .

20 320
 01-13-2018, 08:22 AM
User Info
(01-12-2018, 09:45 PM)NoLimit Wrote: Ummm I guess I shouldn’t tell you... but I’ve got 6 wolfman razors. 2 stainless. 2 titanium. And 2 brass. All with a matching stand. And I kid you not they’re all bnib never used even once haha

I don't know how you managed to get 6 and I'd have to say in one sense, a Big Congrats to you! You are one very lucky man!  In the other sense why on god's earth don't you use them or at least the SS and Ti models? It's not like your going to damage them and I'm sure if James is reading this thread he wouldn't be very happy that all those hrs of work he put into those razor are now just sitting in some display case and are not being used and enjoyed.  I can see if you don't want a Patina to develop on the 2 brass ones why you wouldn't use them very often if your a collector.  I'd have to use them at least now and then.  I have some very rare vintage razors that are NIB and I won't use them as I feel I'm preserving historical razors for the future but I also have some other very rare razors that are in near perfect conditon and I use them now and then as I enjoy shaving with them.  Wolfman razors are modern razors and I have no doubt in the future they will be valuable historical razors as there are not thousands of them out there and they are in my opinion works of art as far as razors goes but that will probably be long after you and I are gone so I guess I don't get it as others have said. 

Short story. I played Jazz guitar for a long time and I was very fortunate to have an incredible master guitar player as my teacher. He had an incredible collection of vintage guitars he had acquired over the years for normal prices or trades.  He played every one of them. He got cancer and it was inevitable that he was going to be leaving this planet and needed money to pay all the Dr bills as he was just an average guy with lower than average income.  Well a couple went to some really gifted young student/players of his and then one day a guy with a lot of coin came and bought all the rest up and here's the part that gets to me and my friends who play... The man can't even play one chord on a guitar. He's simply a collector that just likes to have them in his display case and won't sell them. So those wonderful works of art and the sweet sound that only a vintage guitar makes will never be able to be played or heard by people who really appreciate them. Sad!! 

If you ever decide to sell one let me know but if your one of those that is going to ask over inflated ebay prices for then i'm not the person to contact. 

Hope you decide to enjoy those Gems by using some of them. I'd be very happy to have just one in my shaving rotation.

0 159
 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM
User Info
To draw a parallel to custom knives that are meant to be used and loved (something I’m more familiar with):

I talk to a lot of custom makers and one of the first questions I ask is if they like to see their blades used and if aftermarket “flipping” for profit bothers them.

I get a range of answers from “it’s an honor that someone spends a month’s salary or more on one of my blades just to keep it in a case like artwork and admire it,” up through, “if someone buys one of my blades to hang it on a wall they’ll never get another one from me.”

The same is true with the aftermarket. Some are offended by profiting beyond MSRP and others say “I can’t control it once I receive the asking price from the first customer...I charge a fair rate to keep me employed and after than it’s just metal.”

The only thing I’ve seen play out dozens of times is the moment the excitement and the search is dulled due to excess meddling by the maker himself, the sooner his aftermarket crashes and soon after his primary market.

I have literally seen makers go from collectors stalking them at shows and obsessively refreshing websites for the honor of paying $2000 for a knife to that maker liquidating his shop and going back to his day job less than a year later. What happened? The maker started trying to control what grown men and women did with their knives after the transaction had taken place.

I say all that to caution any collector or potential collector from asking the maker to do anything to try to control what anyone does with their product (admittedly a luxury item and not an essential good for survival). It’s a well worn path with the maker getting burnt out from spending more hours policing the web than they spend making razors and even worse, being the impetus for the collapse of their own market.

0 245
 01-13-2018, 09:47 AM
User Info
(01-13-2018, 08:59 AM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: To draw a parallel to custom knives that are meant to be used and loved (something I’m more familiar with):

I talk to a lot of custom makers and one of the first questions I ask is if they like to see their blades used and if aftermarket “flipping” for profit bothers them.

I get a range of answers from “it’s an honor that someone spends a month’s salary or more on one of my blades just to keep it in a case like artwork and admire it,” up through, “if someone buys one of my blades to hang it on a wall they’ll never get another one from me.”

The same is true with the aftermarket. Some are offended by profiting beyond MSRP and others say “I can’t control it once I receive the asking price from the first customer...I charge a fair rate to keep me employed and after than it’s just metal.”

The only thing I’ve seen play out dozens of times is the moment the excitement and the search is dulled due to excess meddling by the maker himself, the sooner his aftermarket crashes and soon after his primary market.

I have literally seen makers go from collectors stalking them at shows and obsessively refreshing websites for the honor of paying $2000 for a knife to that maker liquidating his shop and going back to his day job less than a year later. What happened? The maker started trying to control what grown men and women did with their knives after the transaction had taken place.

I say all that to caution any collector or potential collector from asking the maker to do anything to try to control what anyone does with their product (admittedly a luxury item and not an essential good for survival). It’s a well worn path with the maker getting burnt out from spending more hours policing the web than they spend making razors and even worse, being the impetus for the collapse of their own market.

Great post.

17 155
 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM
User Info
So, is the recommended process for acquiring a Wolfman from the source to send an email to the address on the website and hope?

1 22
 01-13-2018, 10:50 AM
User Info
(01-13-2018, 10:15 AM)BrickHud Wrote: So, is the recommended process for acquiring a Wolfman from the source to send an email to the address on the website and hope?
No. Do not email him asking to buy. He posts items on his website when available. Follow him on social media to get the heads up when items are available.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 336
 01-13-2018, 10:53 AM
User Info
Wolfmans are such in short supply that even used models sell for much more than new ones... Not using the ones you have is pretty silly, unless you expect James to eventually catch up and flood the market with a lot of supply, then maybe demand won't meet it and the price of used Wolfmans could fall dramatically... though I don't see that ever happening.

I use my three Wolfmans (WR1-SB, WR1-DC, Guerrilla) and I am very thankful for them. They give me great shaves, look absolutely stunning, and since getting them I haven't bought any new razors. I have no desire to, either.

0 39
 01-13-2018, 11:46 AM
User Info
(01-13-2018, 10:15 AM)BrickHud Wrote: So, is the recommended process for acquiring a Wolfman from the source to send an email to the address on the website and hope?

Sacrifice 3 chickens and a hamster

0 106
 01-13-2018, 10:40 PM
User Info
Haha I’m no flipper. Much like my Christopher Reeves Sebenza. I didn’t buy it to use it more so I bought it for beauties sake. I have every plate and handle by above the tie too. I’d say I pretty much have most modern razors worth having. Minus a paradigm and a timeless.

All nib. I just use my Webber haha.

Though I do admit the thought of selling one of my stainless does cross my mind from time to time.

0 30
 01-14-2018, 07:14 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-13-2018, 10:40 PM)NoLimit Wrote: Haha I’m no flipper. Much like my Christopher Reeves Sebenza. I didn’t buy it to use it more so I bought it for beauties sake. I have every plate and handle by above the tie too. I’d say I pretty much have most modern razors worth having. Minus a paradigm and a timeless.  

Though I do admit the thought of selling one of my stainless does cross my mind from time to time.

While I agree with you that they are beautiful razors, you should definitely try them. I had a Weber before and in my opinion, they don't shave as good as Above The Tie or Wolfman.

3 592
 01-14-2018, 03:26 PM
User Info
(01-13-2018, 10:40 PM)NoLimit Wrote: Haha I’m no flipper. Much like my Christopher Reeves Sebenza. I didn’t buy it to use it more so I bought it for beauties sake. I have every plate and handle by above the tie too. I’d say I pretty much have most modern razors worth having. Minus a paradigm and a timeless.  

All this talk made me curious. Do you have any pictures of those Wolfman razors? I'd love to see all the different metals together. Must be pretty great having so many unblemished models.

0 39
 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM
User Info
(01-14-2018, 03:26 PM)tragique Wrote:

All this talk made me curious. Do you have any pictures of those Wolfman razors? I'd love to see all the different metals together. Must be pretty great having so many unblemished models.

All you would get is pictures of black tissue paper with gold tape if they BNIB.

11 185
 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM
User Info
(01-14-2018, 03:26 PM)tragique Wrote:

+ 1  I agree some photos would sure be proof that he has 6 NIB Wolfman razors. The Webber and the haha at the end of every post has me wondering.

0 159