04-05-2018, 06:09 PM
User Info
(04-05-2018, 12:54 PM)Nero Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 05:41 AM)Holyzeus Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 04:32 AM)Nero Wrote: If the other razors are anything like Guerrilla, then there's absolutely nothing special about them.

James razors are special, they may not be the best shavers but no other has the build quality, finish or attention to detail
Not forgetting hand built
Also YMMV but for me the balance is like no other and the head so slim and nimble.
I guess I'm weird. I buy razors to shave with, not to drool on.

Really at times I was waiting on someone saying they start fapping with a wolfman razor on there lap.

0 12
 04-05-2018, 09:11 PM
User Info
Loaned a BBS-1, didn’t suit me

2 74
 04-05-2018, 11:22 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
The BBS-1 didn't float my boat either. Currently trying to decide if I'll trade my Wolfman SB 0,74 for a Paradigm Titanium V2

28 1,477
 04-07-2018, 07:24 AM
User Info
I'd have to disagree with many of the last few posts. I've had some very nice shaves with my WR1. DC and I have a .80 on the way. The WR1 .61 is not as efficient as some of my other modern or vintage razors in my den like my Charcoal LV2 & L3, Timeless . 95 OC, Paradigm 17-4, NEW Deluxe Big Boy and some of my Aristocrats to name a few. The .61 has a very small sweet spot and once found it gives a very enjoyable 3 pass BBS with zero irritation and without demanding much attention. Maybe some people should work on their technique a little more. I don't know who said it in a earlier post about other razors having just as good fit and finish but no other razor in my den has the fit and finish of my Wolfman period!! James razors are in demand and that's the truth but remember he's a one man operation and it's not easy to get one unless they are available on the site and your on your computer at the right time but there is no need to put the man down for the way he chooses to run his business. To me it's obvious he's passionate about his razors or they wouldn't look the way they do so putting him down is IMO uncalled for! Oh and I shave with mine as it's in my rotation.

0 211
 04-07-2018, 08:26 AM
User Info
I do not believe there could be any argument on the fact that a Wolfman fit and finish is the best in the industry Shave quality is always subjective but I find mine to be very smooth and efficient.  I truly am glad I have one in my shave rotation. How James runs his business is none of my business nor should it be anyone else’s except James.

4 168
 04-07-2018, 10:06 AM
  • LOOT
User Info
I have 74 and 80 Wolfies. There is definately a sweet spot. Find it and they are efficient and smooth. The 80 is very close to my Timeless 95OC Scalloped. Edge in shave, by a slight margin, Timeless 95.

As to trashing his business model, I chalk it up to envy. Hate on it all you want, James does what anyone reading this post wishes they could...he gets up every morning and writes his own paycheck. He's positioned himself, over the years, to hone a skill set unmatched by any razor maker, anywhere.

I don't own all of the high end modern razors but if there are comparable products, I'd like to see a list. I've sold all of mine but the Timeless and Blackbird to make room for more Wolf's. Nothing I have seen matches the finish James puts on his stuff. Nothing comes close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 13
 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM
User Info
(04-07-2018, 08:26 AM)Shavemd Wrote: I do not believe there could be any argument on the fact that a Wolfman fit and finish is the best in the industry Shave quality is always subjective but I find mine to be very smooth and efficient.  I truly am glad I have one in my shave rotation. How James runs his business is none of my business nor should it be anyone else’s except James.

(04-07-2018, 10:06 AM)LOOT Wrote: I have 74 and 80 Wolfies. There is definately a sweet spot. Find it and they are efficient and smooth.  The 80 is very close to my Timeless 95OC Scalloped. Edge in shave, by a slight margin, Timeless 95.

As to trashing his business model, I chalk it up to envy. Hate on it all you want, James does what anyone reading this post wishes they could...he gets up every morning and writes his own paycheck. He's positioned himself, over the years, to hone a skill set unmatched by any razor maker, anywhere.

I don't own all of the high end modern razors but if there are comparable products, I'd like to see a list. I've sold all of mine but the Timeless and Blackbird to make room for more Wolf's. Nothing I have seen matches the finish James puts on his stuff. Nothing comes close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly!

0 211
 04-07-2018, 05:14 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
No one is challenging the finish. The last few posts are from people who want to shave with their razors, not take pictures of them and talk about shine.

77 3,265
 04-08-2018, 06:56 AM
User Info
(04-07-2018, 05:14 PM)Nero Wrote: No one is challenging the finish. The last few posts are from people who want to shave with their razors, not take pictures of them and talk about shine.

I think most of us were responding to this post in Red below. Once you make a connection James who does cares very much about you as a customer and what you need as far as blade gap and what will work best for you. He'll give you his opinion if he he thinks you may be picking out the wrong razor based on what info you tell him and he will make suggestions. He'll ask you what razors you've had success with and which ones have not worked for you and why so he can advise you on what blade gap or baseplate will probably work best for you is an example of a typical buying experience with James.  He also likes to hear about what finish  and handle you want and why etc. He wants you to enjoy shaving with his razors.  His business practices may not suit everyone but making statements about him that are not warranted is why some of us responded as we did. He's just one man working hard to make some razors and it just so happens a few people noticed the quality of his work and I'm sure he's a little overwhelmed with emails and orders. I've had multiple talks with Brian at Charcoal Goods and he's almost in the same boat as James and it's not easy on him and he's said to me in conversation " I have no idea how James finishes those razors the way he does as I'd be a cripple if I tried to do  what he does "  Brian has also said " I have a ton of respect for James and the product he puts out " 

I do agree with you on just looking at razors and not using them but there are collectors who don't use some of theirs and that's their choice and as I say to each their own.  I use 95% mine and in fact I use almost all of my razors in my collection except for a few NOS or very rare vintage razors which in some cases I have user grade back ups to shave with. 

" With due respect, I think this is an overstatement.  In my experience, there are others razors whose build quality, finish, and attention to detail are as good.  And I don't know of any other razor manufacturer that treats its customers and potential customers with such apparent disdain.

0 211
 04-10-2018, 12:45 PM
User Info
I have a bit of an off-topic question: how do you buff out scratches? 

I have a polished WR1 that got some scratches on the top cap, no idea how. Should I use any special method to try to buff them out? Or just simply use the Wolfman cloth that came with my razor?

I also have a brushed finish WR1 with scratches, but that finish hides them enough I'll leave them be.

Does 316L steel just scratch easily or am I just unlucky? I've been extremely careful using and storing them, but I guess it's unavoidable.

0 48
 04-13-2018, 06:22 AM
  • scb
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
first time poster here.

I made the switch to a DE razor a little over 10 years ago with Merkur HD. I then got a Parker 11R, which was too mild, and eventually moved up to an ATT Titan H1. The ATT H1 went in the drawer (anyone want it?)  and hasn't been used since I got a Timeless OC .95 in 2016. I love the Timeless, so I jumped on the Bronze when it came out. It's a little mild for me, so I then tried the Bronze OC, which I promptly returned because it felt way more aggressive than my .95 stainless and cut my neck to shreds both times I tried it. So my primary razor has been the Timeless .95 OC for the past 2 years, with some Timeless bronze thrown in in the past few months.  I use Personna Med Prep blades.

Anyway, I somehow bought a Wolfman WR1/WRH7 in .74 two weeks ago when some popped up on the website. I've shaved with it twice so far.

My first thought when I got it was "wow, this thing is so puny compared to the Timeless." Now the timeless is a hefty beast, especially in the 100mm handle, but still, the Wolfman is just so much smaller. It looks great for sure. How did it shave?

It's pretty damn good. It certainly gives my Timeless .95 a run for it's money. It also has a very different feel. The open comb Wolfman feels much more open-comby than the Timeless stainless OC, if that makes sense. I can feel the teeth much more. I think so far, based on the 2 shaves, I may prefer the Wolfman. I'm not sure it makes sense for me to have 2 razors of the same aggressiveness, so maybe I'll pick up a Timeless .68 OC for milder days and sell the Timeless bronze.

[Image: kyIBiWK.jpg]

0 5
 04-14-2018, 07:33 AM
User Info
(04-13-2018, 06:22 AM)scb Wrote: first time poster here.

I made the switch to a DE razor a little over 10 years ago with Merkur HD. I then got a Parker 11R, which was too mild, and eventually moved up to an ATT Titan H1. The ATT H1 went in the drawer (anyone want it?)  and hasn't been used since I got a Timeless OC .95 in 2016. I love the Timeless, so I jumped on the Bronze when it came out. It's a little mild for me, so I then tried the Bronze OC, which I promptly returned because it felt way more aggressive than my .95 stainless and cut my neck to shreds both times I tried it. So my primary razor has been the Timeless .95 OC for the past 2 years, with some Timeless bronze thrown in in the past few months.  I use Personna Med Prep blades.

Anyway, I somehow bought a Wolfman WR1/WRH7 in .74 two weeks ago when some popped up on the website. I've shaved with it twice so far.

My first thought when I got it was "wow, this thing is so puny compared to the Timeless." Now the timeless is a hefty beast, especially in the 100mm handle, but still, the Wolfman is just so much smaller. It looks great for sure. How did it shave?

It's pretty damn good. It certainly gives my Timeless .95 a run for it's money. It also has a very different feel. The open comb Wolfman feels much more open-comby than the Timeless stainless OC, if that makes sense. I can feel the teeth much more. I think so far, based on the 2 shaves, I may prefer the Wolfman. I'm not sure it makes sense for me to have 2 razors of the same aggressiveness, so maybe I'll pick up a Timeless .68 OC for milder days and sell the Timeless bronze.

Congrats on the new Wolfman. As always just stunning!

0 211
 04-16-2018, 05:30 AM
  • scb
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
went back to the Timeless .95 this morning. It felt milder than the Wolfman .74. Maybe I will keep things how they are

0 5
 04-16-2018, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-13-2018, 06:22 AM)scb Wrote: first time poster here.

Nice on the new Wolf.  They are my favorite razors and I like the feel of the smooth, polished OC teeth.  I hope you enjoy many shaves to come.
Steve

0 761
 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM
User Info
I've gotten so used to how light (despite being steel) and nimble Wolfman razors are that I find it hard to go back to anything else. They really are workhorses for me, despite their beautiful look and apparent propensity for me to get the polished finish scratched. I don't think I'll ever resell them, so why not enjoy them fully.

0 48
 04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
User Info
(04-17-2018, 11:20 AM)tragique Wrote: I've gotten so used to how light (despite being steel) and nimble Wolfman razors are that I find it hard to go back to anything else. They really are workhorses for me, despite their beautiful look and apparent propensity for me to get the polished finish scratched. I don't think I'll ever resell them, so why not enjoy them fully.

I like the way you think.  Razors are meant to be used(except rare vintage gillettes that are NOS complete sets).

0 276
 04-21-2018, 08:24 PM
User Info
Just received a Wolfman WR1 and WRH7 handle in brass. I am floored by how gorgeous the finish looks. His attention to detail and perfection is just unreal. Just look at how carefully he packs each piece for shipment.

0 19
 04-21-2018, 08:36 PM
User Info
(04-21-2018, 08:24 PM)tenreasy Wrote: Just received a Wolfman WR1 and WRH7 handle in brass. I am floored by how gorgeous the finish looks. His attention to detail and perfection is just unreal. Just look at how carefully he packs each piece for shipment.

Photos please!

0 211
 04-22-2018, 04:25 AM
User Info
"Photos please!"  

Not sure how! I did create an Imgur account, uploaded the photos to it. Tried to use the "Insert an image" icon with the photo link but the photo is not displayed here. Badger & Blade lets me upload. Here I can't do that.

As far as beauty I really really like the brass. James must have spent a lot of time getting the head and handle to have such a beautiful finish. The SS is great too but wow that brass!!!

0 19
 4 hours ago
User Info
(04-22-2018, 04:25 AM)tenreasy Wrote: "Photos please!"  

Not sure how! I did create an Imgur account, uploaded the photos to it. Tried to use the "Insert an image" icon with the photo link but the photo is not displayed here. Badger & Blade lets me upload. Here I can't do that.

As far as beauty I really really like the brass. James must have spent a lot of time getting the head and handle to have such a beautiful finish. The SS is great too but wow that brass!!!

I have my sights set on a Polished Brass as my next Wolfman. I keep going back and forth on the handle though. My two SS's have the HR 7 handle which I love but the HR2 looks do nice on the Brass razor on James website that I keep thinking if given the opportunity I'd probably order both handles. So really like to see yours. 

BTW I find it easier to just upload a photo from my phone on here than use the Imgur account. 

Anyway congrats! 

0 211