06-04-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
Most vintage straights will both take and hold a really good shaving edge, but they were generally made with different steels --- depending on where they came from (for the most part). Some steels are harder than others, and other characteristics can change too.

What this leads to is that some steels produce razors that are easy to hone and maintain. This review is of one of them.

The Razor is a PAX - made by H. Eicher and Sons in Solingen Germany. I received this razor as NOS. Here it is in my SOTD shot:

[Image: IMG_20120603_164852.jpg]

It is a 6/8"+ round-point full-hollow ground razor. It sings when stropped, and that really helped the honing. These full-hollows are a real pleasure to hone.

Thsi was honed on a Les Latneuses Coticule - usual dilucot to water and then water only on the 'hybrid' side. It was quick, easy and painless.

The razor itself is a lovely functional work of art - no decorations, but I like the stamps on the razor and the plain black scales are nice too, with an elegant PAX inlay. It feels substantial in the hand and it shaves brilliantly. The one issue with it is that the blade needs to be guided into the scales, as it will otherwise touch the scales with the edge. This is a pretty common issue with vintage blades. I should be able to tighten up the pins and change that.

For my straight shaves, I always stress the comfort over all else. A properly honed blade will not pull, and it will not cause irritation. Usually, all I need is a couple of passes - WTG and XTG, and maybe some touch-ups.

This one took a brilliant edge. Very mellow and comfortable - it took two passes (no touch-ups), and my face was smooth and felt great.

I've now used this razor a few times, and each time I've got a great shave.

You hear a lot abotu W&B razors, and Dubl Duck, etc., and for good reason; they made excellent blades. However, don't ignore other makers as most vintage blades were made extremely well. This PAX is one of them!

37 1,731
 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 07:07 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Most vintage straights will both take and hold a really good shaving edge, but they were generally made with different steels --- depending on where they came from (for the most part). Some steels are harder than others, and other characteristics can change too.

What this leads to is that some steels produce razors that are easy to hone and maintain. This review is of one of them.

The Razor is a PAX - made by H. Eicher and Sons in Solingen Germany. I received this razor as NOS. Here it is in my SOTD shot:

[Image: IMG_20120603_164852.jpg]

It is a 6/8"+ round-point full-hollow ground razor. It sings when stropped, and that really helped the honing. These full-hollows are a real pleasure to hone.

Thsi was honed on a Les Latneuses Coticule - usual dilucot to water and then water only on the 'hybrid' side. It was quick, easy and painless.

The razor itself is a lovely functional work of art - no decorations, but I like the stamps on the razor and the plain black scales are nice too, with an elegant PAX inlay. It feels substantial in the hand and it shaves brilliantly. The one issue with it is that the blade needs to be guided into the scales, as it will otherwise touch the scales with the edge. This is a pretty common issue with vintage blades. I should be able to tighten up the pins and change that.

For my straight shaves, I always stress the comfort over all else. A properly honed blade will not pull, and it will not cause irritation. Usually, all I need is a couple of passes - WTG and XTG, and maybe some touch-ups.

This one took a brilliant edge. Very mellow and comfortable - it took two passes (no touch-ups), and my face was smooth and felt great.

I've now used this razor a few times, and each time I've got a great shave.

You hear a lot abotu W&B razors, and Dubl Duck, etc., and for good reason; they made excellent blades. However, don't ignore other makers as most vintage blades were made extremely well. This PAX is one of them!

A very good razor and a fine shaver by the sound of things.

Jamie.

5 1,805
 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 09:53 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: A very good razor and a fine shaver by the sound of things.

Jamie.

Yep, it is.

I don't like to make great claims of one vintage razor being any better than others, because I've found that any vintage razor in decent shape will shave well as long as it's honed properly.

This one was just very easy to hone and it felt great during the shave. A nice razor!

37 1,731
 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
(06-04-2012, 09:59 AM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 09:53 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: A very good razor and a fine shaver by the sound of things.

Jamie.

Yep, it is.

I don't like to make great claims of one vintage razor being any better than others, because I've found that any vintage razor in decent shape will shave well as long as it's honed properly.

This one was just very easy to hone and it felt great during the shave. A nice razor!

I feel that any vintage well honed razor will take a great edge if the temper was never lost. I don't buy into the hype of W&Bs, DDs, etc.

I've now sold or have for sale all the DDs I've owned as they truly aren't remarkable. After restoring probably 30+ W&B's, I've only kept one for personal use (A mint 6/8 W&B Bow razor - 1/2 hollow). I have restored and used/sold 6-8 of the heavy choppers and really don't understand the hype around them. I have a couple wedge/near wedge Sheffield choppers in the rotation, but if I want a big blade give me a full hollow any time (of course I love the shaves off my large 1/4 hollow choppers, but that has more to do with the fact I made them).

For Solingen razors, I've also switched my collection to only trying to keep plain Jane 6/8-8/8 full hollows with no gold etch. I also prefer a round point to the spike so I'm in the minority there as well.

A 13/16 Coronota is probably one of my absolute favorites and isn't talked about much.

I will say my 2 Globusmen's are a step above the rest for whatever reason and are ones that live up to the hype (though not discussed much, but the prices they sell for indicates that people know how good they are).

11 185
 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
Joe -

I've never heard of or seen a Coronota. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

I do have a Corneta (Weyersburg) that's really good, even though mine is certainly not a looker.

I do agree with you on the Ducks - not special (though perfectly functional) razors.

37 1,731
 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
(06-04-2012, 10:29 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Joe -

I've never heard of or seen a Coronota. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

I do have a Corneta (Weyersburg) that's really good, even though mine is certainly not a looker.

I do agree with you on the Ducks - not special (though perfectly functional) razors.

Yohann -

Meant Corneta (The one with the trumpet logo), not coronota.

Ducks certainly are fine razors and take a nice edge, just not worth the price to admission IMHO and certainly aren't superior to pretty much any Solingen razor.

11 185
 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
Thought you might have meant Corneta - yes they're really good razors. Smile

I haven't tried a Globusmen razor - mostly because of the prices they command. I'll keep an eye out for a nice deal on one.

37 1,731
 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM
User Info
I have a PAX on the way, now I am really looking forward to using with the likes of you two singing it's praise.

2 59
 06-07-2012, 02:44 AM
User Info
Bong! Great to see you on here. Welcome to the 'Nook.

Let's see if we can get this Straight Razor Subforum kick-started between the bunch of us.

------

Also, I'm sure you'll enjoy your PAX. It's a really nice razor.

37 1,731
 06-07-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
Yohann, looks like a fine shaver. i should stop looking at these posts as they tempt me to try my straights, again. i may at some point.

75 20,883