01-23-2015, 12:39 PM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
Back on January 2[sup]nd[/sup], Bryan asked a question about how many razors, as well as other shaving equipment and items, we might each have, and how we acquired them.  As I thought about my own journey of acquisition and the process of choosing what gets used and what doesn’t, I identified a few favorites.  And I wondered what other people might choose as a favorite DE.  I checked the Search engine here, as well as a Google search and couldn’t find what I was looking for.

I have written elsewhere on this site about my 1966 Slim and how it was my daily driver until the Summer of 2013, when the RAD fever overcame me.  I went through a bunch of razors, looking for that holy grail.  Another Slim, a couple of Fatboys, and way too many open comb razors.  Somehow, the Long Comb NEW agreed with my face, and with an aftermarket handle, it agreed with my technique.

I also tried the Short Comb NEW and both flavors of the NEW Deluxe (15mm and 17mm).  I tried them all with a variety of handles, and tried hard, really hard, to keep the prep the same (because people like you have helped improve my technique significantly).   But I like the Long Comb New – some will write about the raised flat bottom NEW made in England – alas, I have not tried a RFB.  So for me, it's the US Long Comb NEW (preferrably post-merger), and I made that decision after lots of shaves.

So - what is your favorite DE razor, and how did you choose it?

15 89
 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM
User Info
I still have yet to determine my favorite razor; as i just recently received a few new ones from another generous member here on TSN. I'm looking to try many others in the future as well, but so far, from what I've used, it's still coming down to my 1964 Gillette Slim. It just does the job, no matter what setting i use.

Btw- thanks for the mention

1 1,975
 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
If the choice is what's my favorite of my owned DE razors, I would have to say my Feather AS-D2, however, there is a distinct possibility that there is a DE razor out there that I have yet to try that would supersede it. I chose the Feather because of the great reviews, the style, the apparent quality (later affirmed through many shaves). When I want a smooth, effortless, forgiving shave, I reach for my AS-D2.

39 3,881
 01-23-2015, 01:11 PM
  • MPH
  • UK
User Info
Favourite is either as-d2 or my PILS. Chose them as i liked the look.

Both are currently lagging behind my monoose though!!!!!

1 178
 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM
User Info
well, I have only had two so it was easy.  One was a $4 Remei and the other was an EJ DE89.  The Remei worked fine but the overall difference was significant.   I do have a few more coming in so my story may get more interesting in coming months.

0 17
 01-23-2015, 02:18 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
My current favorite is my Merkur 39c.  I won it in a PIF last summer. I like it best because I the longest lasting smooth face feel from if, and little or no irritation. 
I get great shaves from my New LC, iKon SC101 and Aristocrat, but the smooth feeling doesn't last as long. If I went by number of uses, I'd have to go with the SC101- I used it everyday for months last year, until I discovered the New LC in the wild, then traded for the Aristocrat because my Dad used one like it. 

2 447
 01-23-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
Aristocrat Junior because I never get a bad shave and the razor is both forgiving and efficient.

12 1,247
 01-23-2015, 03:02 PM
User Info
The 1941 Ranger Tech, by far. (Or the 1940 Milord... Same razor as the '41 RT in gold.)

For modern razors, my matte black Standard Razor is great. Very smooth shaver, and I like the fact that the head is wide enough that the blade ends don't stick out... It's the only razor I have used that is built this way.

Tie for 3rd... My Maggard MR8 (188 grams!) and a vintage 1950s Grafco Merkur open comb. The MR8 would also make a good weapon in case of the zombie apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 17
 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
User Info
I am not sure if I really need to state this since its so pervasive in my SOTD pics, but Weber DLC.  Also, I didn't choose it, it chose me! I bought the head only over 3 years ago after trying so many other DEs, probably, over 75 at the time, then it was as if I had had a revelation the first time I shaved with it! Haven't found another comparable, really! Biggrin

[Image: Q5c3hN.jpg]

82 21,056
 01-23-2015, 05:33 PM
User Info
So far of the ones I've tried my fav is my Muhele R89. Just tried razors over time until until I got it. 

Just got Shavecraft 102 today so will find out in a few days of shaving if my Muhele gets dethroned.

147 3,464
 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
i tried a multitude of razors, and by chance and calculation i ended up with plenty british new's. these were really good, but i never figured out how to completely master my lower neck without feeling a bit sore afterwards. after lots of reading i took chance and tried out a slant, and i realized immediately that this kind of razor brought me in the viscinity of what i had longed for. then enters the lutz slant: i was finally home in my own valley.

7 1,624
 01-23-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
Progress. Trial and mostly error.

29 1,776
 01-23-2015, 07:34 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
For me : Merkur Slant 37C/39C

102 18,557
 01-23-2015, 08:15 PM
User Info
Pils/LASC BBS1

61 3,072
 01-23-2015, 08:26 PM
User Info
ATT H2 - first I bought the R2, then my brother got the H1 not too long after. He loved his, but I preferred open comb, so I went with the H2. It's aggressive, yet smooth as hell. Still haven't found anything that works better for me.

1 108
 01-23-2015, 08:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Current favourite DE is the Joris...

[Image: 63Hbjea.png]

99 18,011
 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
Just depends on what day it is, today it was a Gillette Aristocrat #66.  Yesterday it was a #15.  Tomorrow, well still to be determined.

10 130
 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM
User Info
Went through a series of vintage, straight bar & open comb, adjustables. Then to modern iterations along with a few slants.
End up with the ATT R1. Smooth and efficient. Capable of consistent BBS for the face and dome.
Has been leader of the pack for a couple of years now.
That being said, for travelling the Marsgress (my version of the Progress) gets the nod.

2 150
 01-24-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
Do I have to pick just one? I have quite a few, and like them all for various reason... and if I had to pick just one, it would be an SE*  Wink

*) Ever Ready 1914, inherited from a friend of the family - I would pick it for it's history and connection.

3 4,374
 01-24-2015, 10:20 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-23-2015, 12:39 PM)TADIII Wrote: So - what is your favorite DE razor, and how did you choose it?

The packaging on this response says, "BEST BY:  MIDNIGHT JAN 24" 

Here I am into my eighth decade on this planet, and in all that time I have actually held in my hands only one (1) DE razor.  I have never so much as touched a Gillette DE or Merkur or a Parker, or ANY other DE in my whole life.  But, since the end of April 2014, when I took delivery of a Standard Razors razor, somewhere around 90 percent of my daily shaves have been with that razor.  A fortiori, the Standard Razors razor must be my favorite; there is no competition. 

The reason I bought a Standard Razors razor and learned DE technique on it was that (as with just about every purchase I make), I invested a lot of time in research.  Two considerations emerged:  I wanted a razor that has no Zamak in it:  that immediately eliminated all Merkurs, all Mühles, and all Edwin Jaggers; also -- although it would not have been a deal killer -- I wanted a razor where the cap covered the ends of the blade, which tended to favor Standard Razors razors and iKON razors.  As to "reviews," I weighed each evaluation against the imputed experience and discernment of the reviewer.  The tipping point that drove me to the specific razor that I bought was Michael Ham's ("leisureguy" of the "Later On" blog) transparent affection for the Standard Razors razor.  As he probably uses 200 different DE razors every year, I figured that he had ample background to make distinctions among them. 

Day before yesterday, I received in the mail an IKON stainless Slant DLC head (only).  The United States Postal Service's tracking says that I should receive in the mail today a new Maggard MR5.  When that does arrive, I will go from one to three razors touched in an instant, but the Maggard head will probably go unused while I use the Maggard handle on the iKON Slant head. 

Tomorrow, therefore, I may have a new favorite DE razor.

0 1,054