01-23-2015, 10:51 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Yes, that's right, solid bar #15, or, if you prefer, a 'closed comb' or 'safety bar'. 72g. Pristine condition, Rhodium plated. Unlikely to ever having been used much. Wonderful for its 66 years.

Usually the #15 is considered an open comb. I'd say this beauty is really a #21, but marketed for the Post-War market as a #15 before the #21 emerged the same year. Go figure. It came with the instructions for the open comb. This is not a mismatch: see the labelling on the box: No. 15. The open comb #15 hails from 1938; this model from 1948, same as the #21. Winged centre bar. It is said it's a transition model to the #16, but I'm not convinced of this theory.

It shaves wonderfully (really, it does) and slightly more aggressively than the #16, but the #16 is heavier and more well-balanced, with slightly more generous Rhodium plating. This #15/21 is a superb razor.  

[Image: H2bDpMm.jpg]
[Image: 4lOI6d8.jpg]
[Image: ZNB3DMh.jpg]
[Image: su3uqSN.jpg]
[Image: eLFBhCj.jpg]
[Image: hGnTl9H.jpg]
[Image: BuPBRTf.jpg]
[Image: Otd7Isq.jpg]

0 1,768
 01-23-2015, 10:57 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I hope to look that good @66 Smile that shipper & box look new!! Enjoy

What a find. I had a 16 and it shaved like a dream but I sold it, lesson learned, sell nothing!! 

118 1,708
 01-24-2015, 02:48 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Your luck was really in finding that one, congratulations. Just a wonderful set.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-24-2015, 08:39 AM
User Info
Great find.  Certainly looks like a #15 with the US Turn to Open mechanism.  And fantastic condition all around.  

There has to be a story about how you came to find this one? 

10 130
 01-24-2015, 10:29 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Shaun, that Gilette is just impossibly well aged, seriously didn't believe any of this condition are left in the wild! Great find and share, don't know what divining rod your using to locate this stuff but I'm looking forward to the next find Wink 

35 1,329
 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-24-2015, 10:29 AM)refles Wrote: Shaun, that Gilette is just impossibly well aged, seriously didn't believe any of this condition are left in the wild! Great find and share, don't know what divining rod your using to locate this stuff but I'm looking forward to the next find Wink 

I am a bit obsessed you see (aren't we all?) which motivates my hunting activity, plus Australia has not yet embraced the wet shaving trend in any significant way, like the UK and USA. Australia has a lower population and so there are fewer old desirable products in the wild, but my thoughts are, well, despite this, almost every man of age unless bearded, and over/inter-generationally would have had to have shaved with something, so their razors must be out there (Shaun's  "X-Factor" theory Smile ) unless they had been just "chucked out", as we say here. Most people I speak to don't even realise you can buy DE blades, much less the fact that they are still being made... and are wonderful, too. I just come across beautiful razors at times, but my eye is very sharp, too. I have always had a very keen eye, and I hope to find these items before Mark66 and Ben get their greedy little hands on them Smile . But I am in Sydney, and they are not, much to my advantage. I don't know anyone else in Sydney who shares this interest, either. If there was someone else here interested in wet shaving and collecting, I'd really like to meet them. I don't generally tell people that I do know (unless they are stallholders at markets, etc) because they just roll their eyes and think I'm a bit, well, loopy. Seriously. I guess I see beauty where others do not. I tried explaining Rhodium to my wife in the context of jewellery plating, white gold, scarcity and value of this noble metal, etc etc, but she just blanks and shakes her head. As for the men who don't get it , I just think, oh well, good luck with your blocked-up disposable expensive cartridges.  Oh, plus the  conservation aspect motivates me: no cartridges going into land-fill.

0 1,768
 01-24-2015, 06:37 PM
User Info
Looks like a beautiful Australian No. 15 set.  Seems to be a No. 21 in a special case for down under.

here's achim's link:  http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pie...tralia.JPG

Enjoy!

3 74
 01-24-2015, 06:43 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-24-2015, 06:37 PM)mikemullin6 Wrote: Looks like a beautiful Australian No. 15 set.  Seems to be a No. 21 in a special case for down under.

Enjoy!

Possibly, however, in this instance bought it from a man in England (Birmingham to be precise). Other than what Mr Razor claims, I see no evidence of these being Australian sets; I'd have likely seen more. I have seen the same sets discussed on other UK-based sites, but with very slightly different prices. I know there is an Aristocrat Junior set packed in an ivory bakelite case that is Australian. I'd like to have one of those. I don't own a Junior. I'm on the lookout for one. A 1948 model.

0 1,768
 02-04-2015, 12:26 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-24-2015, 06:43 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 06:37 PM)mikemullin6 Wrote: Looks like a beautiful Australian No. 15 set.  Seems to be a No. 21 in a special case for down under.

Enjoy!

Possibly, however, in this instance bought it from a man in England (Birmingham to be precise). Other than what Mr Razor claims, I see no evidence of these being Australian sets; I'd have likely seen more. I have seen the same sets discussed on other UK-based sites, but with very slightly different prices. I know there is an Aristocrat Junior set packed in an ivory bakelite case that is Australian. I'd like to have one of those. I don't own a Junior. I'm on the lookout for one. A 1948 model.

I have picked up a Junior in top condition, but it's being sailed over to Sydney all the way from Canada. It the 51 set version (end caps). When it arrives (don't hold your breath) I will post with analysis.

0 1,768
 02-04-2015, 02:02 AM
User Info
Very attractive razor, a beauty  Heart you sound like you have the same experiences as me when out looking for razors  Smile
As for being a bit loopy aren't we all on these forums  Laughing1

0 875
 02-04-2015, 02:15 AM
User Info
What a great find.  I'm always amazed when the boxes are in such good shape after all those years.

0 52
 02-04-2015, 04:15 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
A really collectable piece! Enjoy the shaves.

28 1,442
 02-04-2015, 05:48 AM
User Info
Wow, very nice piece. 

6 589
 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Shaun I am starting to dislike you Biggrin  

11 880
 02-04-2015, 10:14 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-04-2015, 11:51 AM)celar36 Wrote: Shaun I am starting to dislike you Biggrin  

Smile

0 1,768