06-04-2012, 09:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Prior to my mum's recent visit here (USA), I asked if she would mind popping into central London on my behalf, go to the quadruplex of fine gentlemen's chemists/perfumers (DR Harris, GEO F Trumper, Taylor of Old Bond Street and Truefitt & Hill) and pick up one item from each shop.

Being the wonderful mother she is, she said no problem. I didn't give her a list of what I wanted, all I asked was she speak with the staff in each shop and explain my skin type to them, then buy one item from their recommendations. I wanted to be totally surprised, see what each of the fine gentlemen's chemists/perfumers came up with.

All I can say is my mum totally outdone herself, not only did she ignore my "one item from each shop" request, she also picked up some additional shaving products from her local high street chemist.

[Image: 8hAze.jpg]

[Image: hPukh.jpg]

[Image: J87kd.jpg]

What my mum had to say about the four fine gentlemen's chemists/perfumers:
  • All are within very easy walking distance of each other, and this area of London is dripping with money.
  • All are well worth a visit, but if she had to recommend just one of them, she would without a shadow of a doubt recommend GEO F Trumper (the four gentleman staff there made her feel like royalty, they couldn't have made her experience in their shop any better).
  • Felt Taylor of Old Bond Street was the most commercial of the four, was also the busiest of the four.

23 1,872
 06-04-2012, 10:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Ask your mum if she would like to adopt a much older son.Smile

That is a nice haul.

173 23,553
 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
Nice stuff. It looks like she has you set now for quite a long time.

184 12,003
 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Mike would you mind trading Moms? I asked for some shave soap for Christmas and she got me Trader Joe's Brushless Shave Cream. Oh yeah, she also hasn't even bothered to ship it to me yet.

With all seriousness I have to say that's a fantastic hall and I hope you thanked her several times.

1 111
 06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
User Info
Congratulations! A great gift, even more valuable because it came from your mum!

(06-04-2012, 09:13 AM)mikeperry Wrote: What my mum had to say about the four fine gentlemen's chemists/perfumers:
  • All are within very easy walking distance of each other, and this area of London is dripping with money.
  • All are well worth a visit, but if she had to recommend just one of them, she would without a shadow of a doubt recommend GEO F Trumper (the four gentleman staff there made her feel like royalty, they couldn't have made her experience in their shop any better).
  • Felt Taylor of Old Bond Street was the most commercial of the four, was also the busiest of the four.

Having visited the 4 shops last year, I wholeheartedly agree with this... Cool
The staff at Geo F. Trumper makes you feel like a King. I also liked D. R. Harris.
As for TOBS, it is more like a supermarket - you can walk into the shop, and spend the entire time seeing things and smelling stuff that nobody comes to assist you. Also packed with tourists. And at T&H, the staff is careful, but kind of cold and impersonal.

2 5,532
 06-04-2012, 11:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
There is a reason why Morrisey gets a haircut in Geo F Trumper,for what it seems like.
Nice products,my friend.It seems that the coconut shaving cream have change some things of its carboard box presentation (the letters position and font).
Hope to make it to London one of these days : its not the same on Google Earth since I cant enter inside the shops...AngryWink

86 7,124
 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Thanks gents, I think my mum is a keeper Wink

Sorry gents, my mum says she can't afford another son Biggrin

Rest assured I treated my mum very! well while she was over here visiting, after all I will more than likely need more shaving products in the future Tongue

Emmanuel, my mum did put DR Harris 2nd on her list, said the shop had a lot! of character (history) and the lady serving in there was very! nice, helpful...

The four gentleman staff in GEO F Trumper took my mum's camera and went around their shop taking pictures for her (me), went outside and took photos of their shop front, display, also sat her in one of their "old fashioned" bar shop chairs and took photos Thumbsup

DR Harris and GEO F Trumper also gave her a postcard of their shops to bring over to me.

Such was my mum's experience in GEO F Trumper and DR Harris I wrote to both of them to thank them personally. Side effect of hearing my mum talk so highly of those two fine gentlemen's chemists/perfumers, those two will always have a very! special place in my wetshaving lifestyle.

23 1,872
 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you get the pictures, please share them with us. Those kind of shots you don't see often.

173 23,553
 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-05-2012, 09:21 AM)Johnny Wrote: If you get the pictures, please share them with us. Those kind of shots you don't see often.

Hi Johnny

I've got physical copies of those photos.

Unfortunately I don't have digital (1's & 0's) copies to share, as there are no digital copies (my mum's camera takes some old world thing called film).

Idea I should buy my mum a small point and shoot digital camera Idea

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-05-2012, 11:14 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 09:21 AM)Johnny Wrote: If you get the pictures, please share them with us. Those kind of shots you don't see often.

Hi Johnny

I've got physical copies of those photos.

Unfortunately I don't have digital (1's & 0's) copies to share, as there are no digital copies (my mum's camera takes some old world thing called film).

Idea I should buy my mum a small point and shoot digital camera Idea

Take care, Mike

Yes you should. You should also get you a scanner so you can download pictures to your computer.

173 23,553
 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
What a Mum! Above & beyond the call of duty. That's what love is all about.

1 290
 06-09-2012, 06:56 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
That's a great haul, a great mom, and what sound like some great shops.

It's funny, of the four GFT and Harris are the two brands I like the most, and turned out to be the nicest to your mom. It's nice when the experience matches the products.

10 1,858