01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
I'd like to buy a Chubby 3 three band super, because I like large brushes. My current brush is a Vulfix super26mm X 57mm. This brush lathers wonderful, also has a great flow.  So i'm  itching to buy a Chubby 3, but a lot of people say it's a lather hog and doesn't release the lather. Any body have anything positive to say about this brush? I really want this brush,but if it hogs lather the brush sounds like it's counterproductive. The brush is a beut, but I don't want to buy it for it's looks. I want something that performs. So is this brush a hog or is what I've read a misconception? I bowl lather. I don't bowl lather for the bowl I do it for the brush. Meaning when I build my lather, I don't want all my lather to end up in the bowl instead of in the brush were it belongs. Any thoughts?)

0 80
 01-24-2015, 05:16 PM
User Info
I never have thought either a chubby 2 or 3 in three band super was a lather hog. You will use more product as these are big brushes and you will have to load longer.

44 486
 01-24-2015, 06:26 PM
User Info
The Chubby 3 is a very large and soft brush! Unfortunately, it does hog lather, but you just need to adjust your technique with it; use more product and time to build your lather. Regardless, I would recommend that you get one since it seems like you really want one!  Good luck. Smile

82 21,056
 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
Oops! I was trying to edit my post and hit the 'reply' icon!  Blush

82 21,056
 01-24-2015, 09:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Firstly, in this discussion, the term "hog" refers to lather being retained within the knot. This phenomenon is visible when rinsing the brush after use. Lather released from the centre of the knot subsequent to the gentle squeezing associated with debriefing the brush post use, is indicative of the brush "hogging" lather. The term "flow through" relates directly to lather retention and/or release. Reduced flow through and hog are somewhat interchangeable descriptors of the same brush characteristic.

Next, please remember, the bigger the brush the more lather it is likely to hold.

The CH range all produce lather very well and can in no way be criticised in relation to their intended purpose - building lather.

The CH range are luxury products. The CH 3 Super provides the user with an uber-dense wall of soft badger. The all encompassing presentation on the face is not mop like on account of the extreme density of these knots. The down side to density is some lather will be trapped within the knot (more than a sparsely packed knot). The up side is the pleasure of indulging in a decedent experience.

Other brushes may release lather more freely, even other hair grades within the same range (such as Manchurian or SilverTip) will do likewise, but there is absolutely no possibility of not having enough lather on your face.

There seems to be a thriftiness associated with traditional shaving. In line with "saving" money, wet shavers often seek economy with the products they consume. (Of course a brief tour of the site, especially the "Monthly Haul" and "Collections" quickly illustrates that this ideology is a fallacy as the passion that drives this interest easily overcomes any reluctance to empty ones wallet). So, IMO there is often an unfounded dislike for larger brushes. Perhaps, the haters detest the fact that one CH brush could make many more sparsely packed brushes (rather than over indulging a  single user). Perhaps it is because one CH greedily consumes more product than most other moderately loading brushes. Perhaps it is because the CH produces so much lather that the left over can only be considered wasteful. Perhaps, the monstrous size of a lather laden CH insights nightmares of suffocation by frightfully frothy soap... ?

The truth is, the CH 3 Super is a big, dense brush. It provides a luxurious experience and has a very large presentation on the face. This can be overwhelming for some (who have reported struggling with keeping the lather where they want it - personally I've not had this issue). The brush will consume more product. It will retain more lather within the knot. However, you will have no issue with having ample lather on your face, if anything you'll have too much. The brush does perform and any claims to the contrary are inaccurate and based on personal preference or frugal motivation.

Finally, I have sold my CH3 Super and replaced it with CH3 Manchurian. The latter brush does release lather more freely, but it also provides a rather different experience. As I stated in another thread discussing the CH range, a SilverTip (2 band) will provide a closer experience to the Super in terms of softness and splay, but due to the thicker hairs it has more backbone and can be packed less densely allowing for greater flow through (or less hog).

99 18,011
 01-25-2015, 02:07 AM
User Info
The Chubbies are very dense brushes compared to the Vulfix range of brushes............ may I suggest should you purchase a Chubby start with a CH2 very easy to get on with, and their Best badger hair grade at present is wonderful.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 01-25-2015, 10:23 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Great post Ben. Biggrin

Slim a Chubby any Chubby is a must try for any shaver. If you can give one a try.  

IMO the Chubby series is Simpson's best offering. They make up over half of my collection.  

Keep an eye on the BST section and you can sometimes find a preloved one, or let yours go if you find that the performance is not something that you had in mind. 

28 1,620
 01-25-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
As Ben wisely said, if you want a CH3 and are a bit afraid that it will hold on to the lather and feel too large on your face, then I advice you to get the CH3 in Manchurian for these reasons:

1. CH3 Manchurian will not hog the lather as much as the CH3 Super will
2. CH3 Manchurian will feel less huge on your face, because Manchurian is a more compact type of hair, that will not splay as easily. Downside for some, may be that it will feel more soid and less soft on your face.

Advice: Use more product, when you use a Chubby 3 !!

24 5,843
 01-25-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
(01-24-2015, 09:32 PM)ben74 Wrote: Firstly, in this discussion, the term "hog" refers to lather being retained within the knot. This phenomenon is visible when rinsing the brush after use. Lather released from the centre of the knot subsequent to the gentle squeezing associated with debriefing the brush post use, is indicative of the brush "hogging" lather. The term "flow through" relates directly to lather retention and/or release. Reduced flow through and hog are somewhat interchangeable descriptors of the same brush characteristic.

Next, please remember, the bigger the brush the more lather it is likely to hold.

The CH range all produce lather very well and can in no way be criticised in relation to their intended purpose - building lather.

The CH range are luxury products. The CH 3 Super provides the user with an uber-dense wall of soft badger. The all encompassing presentation on the face is not mop like on account of the extreme density of these knots. The down side to density is some lather will be trapped within the knot (more than a sparsely packed knot). The up side is the pleasure of indulging in a decedent experience.

Other brushes may release lather more freely, even other hair grades within the same range (such as Manchurian or SilverTip) will do likewise, but there is absolutely no possibility of not having enough lather on your face.

There seems to be a thriftiness associated with traditional shaving. In line with "saving" money, wet shavers often seek economy with the products they consume. (Of course a brief tour of the site, especially the "Monthly Haul" and "Collections" quickly illustrates that this ideology is a fallacy as the passion that drives this interest easily overcomes any reluctance to empty ones wallet). So, IMO there is often an unfounded dislike for larger brushes. Perhaps, the haters detest the fact that one CH brush could make many more sparsely packed brushes (rather than over indulging a  single user). Perhaps it is because one CH greedily consumes more product than most other moderately loading brushes. Perhaps it is because the CH produces so much lather that the left over can only be considered wasteful. Perhaps, the monstrous size of a lather laden CH insights nightmares of suffocation by frightfully frothy soap... ?

The truth is, the CH 3 Super is a big, dense brush. It provides a luxurious experience and has a very large presentation on the face. This can be overwhelming for some (who have reported struggling with keeping the lather where they want it - personally I've not had this issue). The brush will consume more product. It will retain more lather within the knot. However, you will have no issue with having ample lather on your face, if anything you'll have too much. The brush does perform and any claims to the contrary are inaccurate and based on personal preference or frugal motivation.

Finally, I have sold my CH3 Super and replaced it with CH3 Manchurian. The latter brush does release lather more freely, but it also provides a rather different experience. As I stated in another thread discussing the CH range, a SilverTip (2 band) will provide a closer experience to the Super in terms of softness and splay, but due to the thicker hairs it has more backbone and can be packed less densely allowing for greater flow through (or less hog).

GREAT Post, and very well said Ben!
Getting my FIRST CH3 (Manchurian, Ivory Stripe) just purchased on BST.
Will get to 'see what one is like' .. first hand!
JAY

41 375
 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM
User Info
Dittos, nice post Ben.

Slim, when I first started my travels in blade shaving I never thought that I'd have a Chubby. Heck, I wouldn't even entertain the thought. Just try what you want. If you think you want one get one and just enjoy the wall of badger. Yes, you'll use more product, but you don't buy a CH3 to save money.

A chubby isn't required to get a great shave, but as the Doctor of Simpsons brushes wrote (that would be Ben), it's about the experience.

FWIW, I don't have a CH3, but I do have a CH1 in Best and a CH2 syn'. I can't envision ever having a CH3, but I've learned to never say never in this hobby.

32 6,445
 01-27-2015, 11:39 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Great post Ben.  I just ordered this week my first Ch2 in Manchurian.  I had been waiting for a butterscotch for a way too long time and finally Mark posted one.  Can hardly wait for the arrival.  I wish Slim the best of luck and do not be like me get a chubby sooner rather than later.

2 479
 01-29-2015, 10:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations Jovan, you are in for a real treat!

99 18,011
 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Thanks Ben.  I see Mark has posted several Chubby on the twitter site and that there is sometype of mad rush for them.  Guess everyone who wanted one for the holidays are now ordering.

2 479
 01-30-2015, 08:00 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Jovan, you have picked a great brush! It takes a while to break the manchurians in, but they are worth it. 

28 1,620