01-25-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
In my year+ of wet shaving, I have discovered some amazing shave soaps that have elevated my shaving experience to heretofore unreached levels. I want to share my top 5 soaps with you and invite you to share yours. We all have our favorites for various reasons, but here are mine: (your soaps can all be from the same manufacturer if that's the case)

1) Catie's Bubbles Glacé Herbe
    I have only just discovered Catie's Bubbles and this soap takes top billing in my den. I had difficulty making a choice between the Glacé Herbe and Le Piment de la Vie; both are complicated, multi-tiered scents that are unique and ethereal. When loading CB, the smallest amount of soap produces gobs of thick, rich lather. The soap is hungry for water and the shave experience lasts far beyond the actual shave. The tubs are beautiful, as are the labels. I also own the Tonsorial Parlour and am ordering a Mile High Menthol this week. 

2) Cold River Soap Works Vetiver
   Here is another new soap to my den. I first became aware of CRSW because of the LE Paradise, which I purchased. I love the tins, the ease of loading, the fact that it's tallow-based, but the Paradise scent is a bit too floral for me so I ordered a Vetiver. Booya! This vetiver is atypical; there are some undertones of sweet that enhance the woodsy, earthy vetiver and soften it. Loading is a snap and, like CB, the lather is cushiony and slick. I get real pleasure using this soap.

3) C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) Cream
   One of my first soap purchases. I am on my third tube, I have gifted this soap to my son and other wet-shave enthusiasts. Talk about ease of lathering! The olfactory experience takes me right back to the corner barbershop when I was a kid: George Fratantonio (I still remember), when a haircut was $1.50, and George used to finish my haircut with a bit of lather from his machine and he would clean up my sideburns. Ha! I was 10 and wouldn't have sideburns for another 8-9 years. But the memories have remained with me and so will this cream. Pure shaving nostalgia, and a great shave to boot!

4) Tabula Rasa SteamPunk
   Once again, I have the Nook to thank for introducing me to this German soap manufacturer, 1000+1 Seifen. I have since had numerous communications with Xenia Trost and have tried her Vetiver Seife (highly recommended hand soap). Tabula Rasa is one of my higher-end soaps. $31.50 for a 3oz tub is premium, but a little goes a long way. The SteamPunk scent is intoxicating. I have said before that the fragrance reminds me of an old book store, or a library, lined with wood. The shave experience is satisfying and the fragrance lasts all morning. When paired with the EdT, the SteamPunk experience is rich and long lasting. The large tub will last you a while.

5) Martin de Candre Fougère 
   The only hard soap to make my top five. The hype over this soap is legitimate and not exaggerated. The Fern scent is subtle and heady. This beautiful 200g glass tub will reward you with well over 100-150 shaves, making the exorbitant cost ($70) a little less painful. Pure luxury. I love to reach for this soap on Sunday morning. I feel classy after a shave with MdC. The most difficult decision I have is what aftershave to pair with it. Most of the time I choose my Simpson unscented aftershave balm, so I can relive the fougère (fern) as long as possible.

I have many more soaps that could have been included in this list, but for the sake of this thread, I challenge you to choose your top 5. 

So, let's see your lists!

39 3,948
 01-25-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
Martin De Candre Soap

Boellis Panama 1924 Croap

Acca Kappa Soap

Xpec original Cream

Castle Forbes Cream

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 01-25-2015, 10:06 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Le Pere Lucien

AOS Tallow

MdC

Haslinger

Catie's Bubbles

26 261
 01-25-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
I'll list brands & formulations when there is a difference. The individual scents just allow me more variety in a soap base that I prefer.

Barrister & Mann (Latha, Tallow, & Tre Citta)
Soap Commander
Martin de Candre (Fougère & Scented)
Catie's Bubbles (French)
Seifenglatt (Krampert's)

Very high on my next to try list is Cold River Soap Works.

31 8,058
 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
In no particular order.

Mitchells Wool Fat
Cold River Soap Works
RazoRock
Czech and Speake
Simpson's Creams

29 1,627
 01-25-2015, 11:06 AM
User Info
In this order if I have to pick 5 but the top 3 are what I primarily use. 

Cold River Soap Works Select

Soap Commander

Mystic Waters 

Wickham Soap Company

Barrister & Mann

65 799
 01-25-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
I'll allow myself to pick 5 soaps and 5 creams/croaps from my den, hope it's okay  Cool

Top 5 soaps:

1. Czech & Speak - both versions 
2. Klar Seifen - all 3 scented versions
3. Martin De Candre - all 3 versions
4. Valobra Tallow - all 3 scented versions
5. Boellis Panama 1924

Honorable Mentions: 
Saponifico Varesino - both versions & M.W.F.
--

Top 5 croaps/creams:

1. Xpec
2. Floris 89
3. Acqua di Parma Colonia - old formula
4. Santa Maria Novella - old formula
5. Castle Forbes Lime & Castle Forbes Lavender (both are equally great)

Honorable Mention: Acca Kappa 1869 - old formula & Antica Barbieria Colla
--

24 6,018
 01-25-2015, 11:44 AM
User Info
Noget problem Claus  Wink

39 3,948
 01-25-2015, 12:01 PM
User Info
In no Order:

Catie's Bubbles (French Style)
MdC
Mystic Waters
Strop Shoppe LE
Barrister & Mann

0 32
 01-25-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
My top 5 in no particular order:

Catie's bubbles
Soap Commander
Coloniali
Proraso
Barrister and Mann

18 468
 01-25-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
No particular order for me too

Jabonman
Cella
Saponificio Varesino
MWF
Tabac

Ed

22 764
 01-25-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
My top 5 soaps in no particular order:
(Always subject to change)
  • Taylor's Lime/Sandalwood
  • Penhaligons Sartorial/Blenheim Bouquet
  • AOS tallow Sandalwood
  • Cella
  • Siefenglatt Krampert's
Honorable mention: L'Ancienne

Top 5 creams:
  • Nancy Boy
  • Domenico Caraceni
  • Castle Forbes Cedarwood
  • Musgo
  • Harris Sandalwood
Honorable mention:
Wars

24 1,226
 01-25-2015, 04:08 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I'm going to have a tough time:

1) Stirling Glacial Obsidian

2) Stirling Glacial Wintergreen

3) Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill

4) Stirling Glacial Lavender

5) Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic

Honourable mentions:

Tabac

TSD Iced Subzero

Erasmic 

3 2,638
 01-25-2015, 06:50 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
because the OP specifically mentioned "soaps"  I will limit my choices to soaps.

In no order of preference:

MdC Fougere & scented
Saponificio Varesino Fern
Wickham's Super Smooth
CRSW Select Bergamot & Bay
B&M Lavanille

next to try is C&S Oxford & Cambridge.

169 1,424
 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
No particular order, brands only:
-Strop Shoppe [tallow-based formulae]
-Mike's Natural
-Mitchell's Wool Fat
-Barrister & Mann
-Cold River Soapworks
-Mickey Lee's Soapworks

If they had bribed me, then perhaps also:
-Czech & Speake
-Calani
-Tiki Bar

And while we're at it, overrated:
-Razorock P.160

1 796
 01-26-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
In order of my preference, based strictly on performance and post-shave experience NOT on scent.  I have many products that I love the scent of, but lack in the two criteria that matter most to me, performance and post-shave experience.  
Soaps:
1- Cold River Soap Works
2- Mikes Natural
3- Saponifico Varesino
4- Barrister & Mann
5- Le père Lucien

75 2,319
 01-26-2015, 07:20 AM
User Info
My favorite criteria must include performance and scent. For example, I have a puck of AOS Sandalwood (tallow) and it is a TOP performer, but the scent is off-putting. (It reminds me of the old Ben Nye greasepaint makeup...blech)

39 3,948
 01-26-2015, 07:45 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, I'm far from having put even a small dent in what's out there but of what I've tried, and in no particular order.....
C&S  Oxford & Cambridge although No. 88 is just as good,
MWF
MdC, prefer Fougere but again....
C&E Nomad,now Moroccan Myrrh but any flavor
DR Harris soaps, mostly Marlborough
honorable mention: Tabac, PdP, LdP, grated Speick stick, and a few others I can't bubble up in my mind yet, but all are soaps.

7 2,359
 01-26-2015, 07:54 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Strop Shoppe, Mike's, MdC, Tabac, MWF.

17 550
 01-26-2015, 10:22 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(01-26-2015, 07:20 AM)primotenore Wrote: My favorite criteria must include performance and scent. For example, I have a puck of AOS Sandalwood (tallow) and it is a TOP performer, but the scent is off-putting. (It reminds me of the old Ben Nye greasepaint makeup...blech)

Ben Nye!?!?  Is that you Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz?

If someone who knows who Ben Nye was recommends Tabula Rasa, that just may be good enough of a recommendation for me to bite.

1 796