06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I got a Men-U Synthetic in the mail today. I wanted to try it and see how it faired against the Muhles and the Frank Shaving Brush. My Muhle Silvertips Fibre is out on loan right now to another member, but I'll run it through its tests and take pics to compare it to my Black Fibres and Frank Shaving Synthetic.

116 3,804
 06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Dave,Im afraid is not as good as the new Muhle ones.Let us know,please,since I could be wrong about it.

86 7,123
 06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
After 3 test lathers its done admirably. I'll post some top down shots tonight of it and a Black Fibres and FS Synthetic. I haven't shaved with it, but will in the morning.

116 3,804
 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Dave :

I should have mentioned that its not as good with facelathering with cirular movements.With bowl lathering and painting strokes is really good.

86 7,123
 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I shaved with it tonight and had no issues with circular movements. I am a bowl latherer though. I'll give it a try with a stick of Arko later to see how it goes.

116 3,804
 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Good! Maybe its bristles have been improved.Those are good news.I know a couple gents that coulnt use the brush with circular movements,so thats good to know.

86 7,123
 06-05-2012, 03:12 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I used it this morning and made a point to face lather. I used De Verguide hand and had no problem making lather on my face for 3 passes or with circular motions on my face. This is a really good brush.

116 3,804
 06-05-2012, 04:40 AM
User Info
I know this probably isn't a fair question at this time, but how would you rank your synthetics currently Dave?

31 7,912
 06-05-2012, 05:14 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Honestly Here's how I'd rank them (and I'll rank the ones I've sold as well) From not best to best

Body Shop Brush-horrid brush and horrid construction. The knot fell out of mine. I glued it back in using superglue and Ashley uses it to clean sewing machines now. I think it does ok at that.

Omega Syntex- Good brush, a bit floppy. Dries slower than the other synthetics. I PIF'ed this one

Frank Shaving-good brush, inexpensive. Makes great lather

HIS Artist Strokes Brush-good brush, a bit big. Makes excellent lather. Just wasn't getting used compared to the Muhles

Muhle 23mm- too scritchy for me.

Men U Synthetic-just got it yesterday but thus far I'm impressed. Softer than the Muhle 23mm Synthetic, but not as soft as the Black Fibres and 21mm Muhle. It face lathers and bowl lathers like a champ.

Muhle 21mm Synthetic Silvertip- Great brush. Excellent Face Latherer and Bowl Latherer. Requires less product and water than any brush I've ever seen.

Muhle Black Fibres- just a wonderfully luxurious brush in every way. I love this brush so much that I bought an HJM as well just to have 2 of them. This is hands down the best of the bunch. If I'd gotten this brush to begin with, I'd have never bought another one I don't think. The Silvertip Fibre doesn't even compare to this brush. I don't care for the handle much at all (which is why I bought an HJM to see if the handle is better).

I did notice that Connaught is selling the knots from the black Fibre. I may try to track down a good brush person and see if they'll throw 2 knots in a Simpsons Colonel type handle for me and then I'd be really happy.

The Muhles are the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned. They're pricey but they do a great job compared to Badgers and Boars.

116 3,804
 06-05-2012, 05:20 AM
User Info
Dave, I once thought that Connaught sold the knots too. But if you click on the picture of the knot, you'll see it go to the entire brush in a different color.

Thanks for the comparisons. Even though I started with the Black Fibre I think I'm still going to get a 21mm Silvertip Fibre. I'd love it if the Black Fibre was just slightly more dense.

31 7,912
 06-05-2012, 05:31 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The 21mm is more dense and has better backbone. It's a great brush, but I just love the softness of the Black Fibres. If I could have that brush in a Simpsons Colonel handle, I'd buy two of them and call it a day.

116 3,804
 06-05-2012, 05:47 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Yeah you can tell the difference for sure. The synthetics are close but they'll never feel as good as badger (at least to me). As nice as the Black Fibres brush is, it's still not as soft as a Simpsons or an M&F, etc.

116 3,804
 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
How do you like that HJM handle? It *looks* interesting.

10 1,858
 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I haven't gotten it yet Songwind. I ordered it from shaving.ie since Phil didn't have them.

116 3,804
 06-05-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
Nice find, Dave. Let us know how it performs.

75 20,883
 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Very interesting,Dave.Thanks for your ranking.
It seems that the Men U have improved it bristles,so thast great to know.

86 7,123
 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I am impressed with this brush. Is it worth the cost? I'm not so sure, but it's the best synthetic without the word "Muhle" in the product name. It dries quickly, splays easily (at least to me), and works great with soaps and creams.

116 3,804
 06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(06-05-2012, 05:59 AM)Songwind Wrote: How do you like that HJM handle? It *looks* interesting.

Personally, I like the HJM handle very much. The oblong shape and rubber inset panels provide a really secure grip. It's not as heavy as a premium, solid-resin handle, but is a nice size to hold and use.

0 254
 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great job in comparing the brushes Dave. Thanks for posting.

1 3,507
 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you for the review! Another one to consider...

I will finally get to try both Muhle brushes and the H.I.S very soon. I love the FS brush so far so I'm excited that something may even be better.

There is the "original" Muhle synthetic, the one that is not Black Fibre. I wonder how that stacks up. I haven't seen, (or somehow missed) a review on that one.

Please report back after continued back to back usage. I wonder if you will change your preference at some point.
I guess that I'm just hoping that I won't need to purchase the Men-U brush as well..........just kidding! Blush

6 905