01-25-2015, 10:56 AM
User Info
I recently acquired this 1958 Gillette Toggle on eBay. Its no $10 rummage sale or estate sale find, but for $230 with the case, instructions and the registration card, I thought it was a decent enough score. I've wanted a Toggle for my collection since I first started wet shaving and figured since I don't go to estate or rummage sales that I better jump on this one before the prices get even more out of control. I plan on using it for its maiden shave tomorrow. I assume it will shave much like my FatBoy.

I know that a number of members want to add a Toggle to their collection so I guess I'm curios to see how others are approaching that. I assume that very few come up on the BST forum. Are members going to estate or garage sales exclusively looking for Toggles? How many members have found Toggles at garage sales, estate sales or antique stores?

Anyway, I'm excited to add it to my collection so I thought I would share.

Greg

[Image: Qyicjhi.jpg]

[Image: yhDwvfu.jpg]

[Image: Q1YgTsh.jpg]

[Image: tPz09PN.jpg]

21 171
 01-25-2015, 11:08 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Decent, nothing. That is a hell of a find! Congratulations!

Incidentally, I have yet to find any decent razor in the wild, and I've been collecting causally for years. Now, I'm not even remotely inclined to plan my Saturday hopping from estate sale to estate sale, trying to get in line first ahead of all the antique store owners. I've popped into an antique store here and there, and once, I've been in an estate sale or two that I happened to drive by.

Asking others in the forums, have you ever happened across anything decent casually, or do you need to visit estate sales militantly every weekend in hopes of finding a nice razor every couple months? I'm not knocking people who go to estate sales as a hobby, but I'm not at a point in my life where I have that kind of time and energy, not am I really interested in any estate sale item apart from DE razors...

22 823
 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
There's a place I go to where I have a good enough relationship with the owner that she actually looks out for razors at estate sales just for me. She's found some nice things - from '40 SS which are terrific for getting people into wetshaving, to the adjustable injector, to a butterscotch Polo 8 I've posted pics of before. I think she does the same thing with straights for someone else, though once I got a double thumb notch that got some attention when I posted pics at B&B when I still had an account there.

12 1,247
 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
(01-25-2015, 11:18 AM)insomniac Wrote: There's a place I go to where I have a good enough relationship with the owner that she actually looks out for razors at estate sales just for me. She's found some nice things - from '40 SS which are terrific for getting people into wetshaving, to the adjustable injector, to a butterscotch Polo 8 I've posted pics of before. I think she does the same thing with straights for someone else, though once I got a double thumb notch that got some attention when I posted pics at B&B when I still had an account there.

I have a guy too.  $10-15 a razor, great guy and looks out for me, I'm very happy with what I've been able to take home from there.

I'm done jumping around, flea markets, antique stores etc.  There are too many eBay guys out there scooping them.

8 2,718
 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Good price on that, I'd say, and a beauty to boot. Very good indeed.

0 1,730
 01-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Great find, congrats.

2 479
 01-25-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
Pffft....common razor.

J/K!!!   AWESOME!!!!!!!!

3 218
 01-25-2015, 06:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
You did well, congratulations!

99 18,011
 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
Wow! What a great find for that price! Thumbup

Personally, I have never enjoyed the shaves from these or any other Gillette TTO, unfortunately! Blush

82 21,056
 01-26-2015, 12:24 PM
User Info
(01-25-2015, 11:08 AM)chamm Wrote: Asking others in the forums, have you ever happened across anything decent casually, or do you need to visit estate sales militantly every weekend in hopes of finding a nice razor every couple months?

Hiya,

Being in the Midwest, the warmer months are best for running across shaving items at places like flea markets and garage sales. Estate sales are worth browsing if I'm in the area, but it's rare I find something shave related. However, once in a great while I have gotten lucky. Heh, maybe 4-5 years ago found a NOS Simpsons best in the box and I still use that brush.

There is a large Sunday outdoor flea market and over the years I have found some crazy nice things for very little cash. Lots of various adjustable and fixed head Gillettes. Also the occasional Executive and President and Toggle, plus a cased Kirby in great shape. Last year I found what looks to be a never used cased Hoffritz slant with the Hoffritz blade in a holder. Man, I have also run across some wonderful deals on vintage blades too. The old injector and DE blades are mostly what I use in my rotation.

Anyway, i have had more than a few lucky days,

Martin

1 79
 01-27-2015, 12:25 PM
  • Boaz
  • Renfrew UK
User Info
Great Razor, seems like a good deal to me. 

0 36
 01-30-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
Sweet!!!! Nice find!

2 18
 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
When we used to live in North Carolina and I was first starting this hobby, I would drop into antique stores if I saw one to take a quick look.  I was doing some locum work on the side and traveled to different parts of the state.

I picked up some nice straight razors for decent prices.  Good DEs were harder to come by.  My best find was probably a pink Lady Gillette in great condition for four bucks.  I remember posting about it on B&B, one of the members advised me to go back and pick it up since I had left it behind the first go around.  I tried to get my wife to use it but she had zero interest.  I break it out once in a while to get in touch with my feminine side.

Have not had much interest or opportunity since moving out to Seattle.  It was a fun hobby though, the thrill of the chase!

17 437
 01-30-2015, 05:21 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Great score btw!  That thing is in awesome condition, and come with all the fixins

17 437
 02-01-2015, 05:30 AM
User Info
Very nice find  Cheers Not a great deal of stuff in the wild here (UK) got the odd find in Antique shops. Charity shops say they can't sell razors Health and Safety nonsense  A6

0 875
 10-01-2015, 08:39 AM
User Info
Used a DE decades ago before switching to electric.  Just came back to my senses last month.   I would like to go whole hog and acquire a toggle as a daily shaver.   I am not a collector and only want one special razor, preferably one of the most sought after.   Am I going to be happy with the toggle for daily use if and when I find one?

Other recommendations?

Also at what price would you consider selling yours?   I realize you have only had it a while and are a collector but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks

1 64
 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 08:39 AM)Sledge Wrote: Also at what price would you consider selling yours?   I realize you have only had it a while and are a collector but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks

Asking to buy peoples items is usually frowned upon, I know I hate it.

You are best posting a WTB and see what happens.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......i am simply green with envy...........

43 1,063
 10-01-2015, 09:50 AM
User Info
A beautiful razor -- in what appears to be terrific condition -- at a very good price.  I have a toggle in the collection, and have used it for extended periods.  It is an excellent razor, somewhat different from the usual fatboy, since it uses the adjustment mechanism from the earliest (i.e. red-dot) fatboy.  I think that the adjustment quality is, therefore, superior to the usual fatboy.  Use it in good health:  use it, though:  I know that collectors like to hold special items forever in pristine condition, but the real pleasure of a great (and unique) razor, is in its use.

Stanley

2 155
 10-01-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
This is what dreams are made up...it is very hard to find these in that condition, and when you do find them on the bay its almost always for a crazy amount of $$$$. Awesome find

24 470