01-25-2015, 01:29 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I realize that photographs can change the look of inks but I was wondering if anyone else has some unusual ink colors that they enjoy using but might not be practical in a business situation and would be willing to post here.  These four I use for day to day note taking or for writing notes to friends and family who understand my all-things-fountain-pen fetish.

The Diamine Peach Haze (which I accidentally wrote as Hazy Peach on the sample below) is actually a bit more 'electric' and bright than this photo suggests.  To me, it is an interesting blend of pink and orange.  It is my latest ink acquisition from The Goulet Pen Company.  They were having a sale on some of their Diamine inks and I couldn't resist.  The more I use it, the more I am enjoying it.  I currently have it in my Kaweco Sport EDC and use it for note taking, doing the Jumble and/or crossword in the paper or other miscellaneous note taking.

J. Herbin's Vert Olive is a very easy on the eye green with a strong influence of yellow.  It is currently in my Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator with a .6 calligraphy nib.

Another J. Herbin ink, Rouille d'Ancre I can only describe as a dusty pink.  There is a subtle touch of brown, I think, which gives it that muted color.  This is a big favorite of mine and I use it a lot.

Lastly here is Noodler's Apache Sunset.  It is matched in my orange TWSBI Vac 700. This ink has a lot of shading in it, even with a fine nib.  However, it really shines when using an italic/calligraphy nib.

[Image: 2IVDaev.jpg]

So, who else has an unusual ink color that isn't a pure blue, blue/black, or black? Smile

2 11,211
 01-25-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
love the green olive freddy!

i don't have the inks shown in the following pics, but they are hugely unusual, being handmade in japan.

you find them at http://suzukazumi.co.jp/index.html

[Image: bi9Wz02.jpg]

[Image: sb8c7wy.jpg]

7 1,624
 01-25-2015, 02:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Marius, those colors are beautiful but I assume they are for brush pens, something I have never used.

2 11,211
 01-25-2015, 03:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
For channukah my jewish aunt Yola sent two bottles of J.Herbin ink after learning of my latest Luddite affectation; Violette Pense'e and  Verte Empire; a violette and green. She has a vision of my creating a  combination Celtic illuminated book and Torah of my stories along the lines of G.K. Chesterton's
THE COLOURED LAND. I keep looking on ETSY at these marvelous, leather bound journals from the UK promoted as Grimoires and travelogs for would be Warlocks and Hobbits. Sadly, I don't have the prerequisite tools or skill to post anything. They are fun- and addicting.

2 3,171
 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
actually they are meant for plain calligraphy brushes Blush

when you say brush pens, do you mean like a fountain pen with a retractable brush instead of nib?

7 1,624
 01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I look at your Japanese inks and imagine a zen monk doing calligraphy as meditation.

2 3,171
 01-25-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
you are quite right at that - but it is not likely a rinzai monk would use anything but shades of black.

i have not used regular fountain pens for years - this is as close i come these days Biggrin

[Image: QZ6mRG2.jpg]

7 1,624
 01-25-2015, 04:23 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Marius, that setup is beautiful, especially the inkwell!

I was thinking of brush pens as they might be used to write Japanese or Chinese characters.

2 11,211
 01-25-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
it's not my setup. you can purchase it here:

http://www.manufactum.de/buerobedarf-online-c175242/

7 1,624
 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My one encounter with a rinzai didn't go very well. I was given that stupid one hand clapping koan nonsense- and slapped him. My Soto Roshi practiced walking meditation and Kendo which was infinitely more- enlightening ( bamboo hurts). I'm an Alan Watts kind of guy and these Peter Max colours just right Biggrin

2 3,171
 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
(01-25-2015, 01:29 PM)freddy Wrote: So, who else has an unusual ink color that isn't a pure blue, blue/black, or black? Smile
I prefer vibrant colors. Any shade other than blue or black. I write letters to assorted friends and family and never use blue.

When I was working I took a different pen with a different color ink in each day. If I had to sign lab notebooks or legal documents I used a work supplied ballpoint pen. Everything else was written in whatever color was in my pen.

I had lots of colleagues notice my fountain pens but no one ever mentioned the ink colors.

Phil

7 363
 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM
User Info
Freddy,
I really like the color of the Rouille d'Ancre. In fact you sent me a sample vial early in my pen journey. Unfortunately it seemed to drain out of the 2 pens I tried it in. The first was an X450 from Xpens. It would not stay in the pen. I tried another pen and it did not run out like the x450 but it still flowed much to freely for this lefty. I should try another sample as the color is quite nice. And not one you see from other manufacturers.

My mom's favorite color of all time is Noodler's Dragon Napalm - a bright orange. I find it odd that she prefers orange inks. I have used half a dozen orange samples and both ML and I find them very hard to read. And I mean the shade of color - not my lefty hand writing Biggrin

Phil

7 363
 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
As an anecdote; green is reserved for comments on documents by the Director ( M in James Bond) of  British SIS.

2 3,171
 01-26-2015, 03:53 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-26-2015, 09:41 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Freddy,
I really like the color of the Rouille d'Ancre. In fact you sent me a sample vial early in my pen journey. Unfortunately it seemed to drain out of the 2 pens I tried it in. The first was an X450 from Xpens. It would not stay in the pen. I tried another pen and it did not run out like the x450 but it still flowed much to freely for this lefty. I should try another sample as the color is quite nice. And not one you see from other manufacturers.

My mom's favorite color of all time is Noodler's Dragon Napalm - a bright orange. I find it odd that she prefers orange inks. I have used half a dozen orange samples and both ML and I find them very hard to read. And I mean the shade of color - not my lefty hand writing Biggrin

Phil

Phil, right now I have Rouille d'Ancre in my TWSBI mini and am having no problem with it.  I have also had it in one of my Esterbrooks with a modified stub nib and cannot remember if I had trouble with it in that pen but it seems to me that I might have had rather serious nib creep with it.

As for your mom, that Diamine Peach Haze might be just up her street.  It's bright and cheerful and an interesting mix of pink and orange. Smile 

2 11,211
 01-26-2015, 10:00 PM
User Info
Such beautiful colours and, Freddy, I could admire your beautiful hand-writing, all day!  Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-26-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
(01-25-2015, 04:40 PM)kav Wrote: My one encounter with a rinzai didn't go very well. I was given that stupid one hand clapping koan nonsense- and slapped him. My Soto Roshi practiced walking meditation and Kendo which was infinitely more- enlightening ( bamboo hurts). I'm an Alan Watts kind of guy and these Peter Max colours just right Biggrin

Great solution to wake him and keep him in the moment!  Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM
User Info
(01-26-2015, 03:53 PM)freddy Wrote:

Phil

Phil, right now I have Rouille d'Ancre in my TWSBI mini and am having no problem with it.  I have also had it in one of my Esterbrooks with a modified stub nib and cannot remember if I had trouble with it in that pen but it seems to me that I might have had rather serious nib creep with it.

As for your mom, that Diamine Peach Haze might be just up her street.  It's bright and cheerful and an interesting mix of pink and orange. Smile 

Freddy,
I focused on the Rouille d'Ancre and then the Noodlers. I never even noticed the Diamine. I  like it!
As you know I  made a choice to forgo Noodlers.
I do like their oranges. The Diamine should be a nice replacement.

Thahks!

7 363
 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-27-2015, 06:49 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 03:53 PM)freddy Wrote:

Phil

Freddy,
I focused on the Rouille d'Ancre and then the Noodlers. I never even noticed the Diamine. I  like it!
As you know I  made a choice to forgo Noodlers.
I do like their oranges. The Diamine should be a nice replacement.

Thahks!

My pleasure. Smile

2 11,211
 01-27-2015, 05:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
To quote Ebeneezer Scrooge "Spirit! Show me no more!" I'm trying to save up for a Bullgoose order, 3 classical CDs, a DVD of Foyle's War latest season, a few bottles of wine and maybe some new briefs. You two start splashing colour like Mickey Mouse in THE SORCEROR'S APPRENTICE and think it doesn't WET any additional appetites? Have you NO shame? Nono

2 3,171
 01-27-2015, 07:00 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-27-2015, 05:30 PM)kav Wrote: To quote Ebeneezer Scrooge "Spirit! Show me no more!" I'm trying to save up for a Bullgoose order, 3 classical CDs, a DVD of Foyle's War latest season, a few bottles of wine and maybe some new briefs. You two start splashing colour like Mickey Mouse in THE SORCEROR'S APPRENTICE and think it doesn't WET any additional appetites? Have you NO shame? Nono

When it comes to fountain pens (like shaving), nope, none whatsoever. Biggrin

2 11,211