01-26-2015, 09:46 AM
User Info
I know that choosing a type of blade varies a lot from person to person and razor to razor. I do know that I need a mild blade.  
If anyone has any suggestions on a mild blade I could try that would be great. Right now I use merkurs, but they are a bit expensive. Sharks were pretty good to. How about gilette silver blues? or personna?

5 59
 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
I think if you liked Sharks and want mild blades you should stick to Derby,  Dorco 301,  or Voskhod with the last being sharpest and smoothest.  Shark Super Chrome are good for this also.  GSB's are not Feather sharp but they are very sharp.  Only their smoothness would lull you into thinking they're not cutters. I remember one of the first times I used them, it felt like there was no blade on my face and I got careless and then, whoops!...  For my uses, the three I mentioned make it easier to go over parts of my face and buff a bit with less risk of cutting.  At the same time, they're not as efficient on the first pass.  Good luck.

Oh and I forgot to mention Astra SP which most like but some find too sharp while others find not sharp enough.  So YMMV.

7 84
 01-26-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
Mild blades? 

Astra Sp
Blue Bird
Sputniks

0 1,007
 01-26-2015, 07:17 PM
User Info
Gillette silver blues are great blades and my go to. I also keep Astra SP on hand as well. Both are great blades but I find while one is perfect in one razor the other will be better in another. I've also had some great shaves with Lord blades!

147 3,537
 01-26-2015, 08:15 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Crystal, also called Israeli Personnas .  It's my go to blade.  I'd consider it mild and efficient.  Especially in my Weber, but I use Crystals in every razor I have.  Second I like Red Personnas.

18 1,186
 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM
User Info
Astra SPs are 'universally' known as one of the mildest blades, in my opinion.  Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
User Info
(01-26-2015, 09:46 AM)migs32 Wrote: I know that choosing a type of blade varies a lot from person to person and razor to razor. I do know that I need a mild blade.  
If anyone has any suggestions on a mild blade I could try that would be great. Right now I use merkurs, but they are a bit expensive. Sharks were pretty good to. How about gilette silver blues? or personna?

I second the mention of Gillette Silver Blues, and also nominate the current Gillette Platinums,

16 351
 01-27-2015, 12:55 AM
User Info
Smooth but efficient blades for me are Gillette Platinum and Silver Blue, Iridium Polsilver Super and Vostok, being the last not as sharp as the others.

0 89
 01-27-2015, 01:35 AM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
It seems to me that "mildness" is more a function of razor head geometry and the face that is being shaved than the blade itself. Also, technique is paramount with whatever setup one uses. A very, very sharp blade in a razor that produces the ideal blade exposure and gap for your face is going to feel mild, as there will be little to no resistance to cutting. I remember the first time that I ever shaved with a Feather.  I was not too experienced at the time, and was jumping around using all kinds of blades looking for my holy grail. I was rewarded by the worst case of razor burn that I have ever had. Of course, I blamed the blade. Many months later, after establishing a consistent and effective technique, I re-visited the Feather. I got a great shave with no burn. It was like there wasn't even a blade in the razor, it felt so smooth - same razor, same pack of blades. The only difference was technique. There are several blades that I find work virtually identically for me - Astra, Personna Lab Blue, Feather. The same blades may not work for you with your razor/blade/face combination. 

Hope this helps,

Matt

0 62
 01-27-2015, 03:50 AM
User Info
what mlzettl said
I believe that blade gap, technique and individual situation must fit blade choice. 

_______
IMO, furthermore
The blade edge should be pristine, and  aligned  
You may strop the blade slightly on the skin your hand. what is obvious to anybody who shaves with a straightedge razor may hold true. 

the search for very sharp blades leads to thinner edges and with use of these, more edge distorsion. I do believe this is a reason why quite a few people dislike the Feather blades.  Thin edges are more sensitive to distorsion and need to be realigned for continuous use, to stay mild
In case of a straight razor, you would strop even new blades before every use. There you go, strop your DE blades, which is my vote
http://shavenook.com/thread-to-strop-or-not-to-strop
Not much experience with coated blades, but a thin edge that is not aligned needs to be stropped Wink

21 1,175
 01-27-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
I agree about the blade fitting the razor.

I used to use Derby blades all the time in my R89.  They worked great for me.  Once I switched over to pre-war Techs, I couldn't get a good shave with Derbys anymore.  I needed a slightly sharper blade.  In my pre-war Techs, I use Super-Max Platinums and Voskhods with GREAT success.

I think you need to play around with both razors and blades to see what works best for you.  It's such a YMMV thing that you'll ask all day, but until you try for yourself....

21 555
 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
I think voskhods would be a good fit but you might also check out derby blades as they are pretty mild and forgiving. 

0 22
 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
My go to blades have been the Derbys . But ... I only use them once and then binned.

5 410
 01-28-2015, 01:57 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I also like Crystal Personnas for taming a razor that I find too aggressive. Astra SP isn't bad for that purpose too.

2 286
 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Even after 5+ years, I  still prefer a milder blade in my Merkur 34G. My favorite since the beginning are Red Personna (UK Packaging). I use Merkur blades occasionally, but Personnas are much cheaper. I also use Astra which are slightly sharper than Personna, but still on the mild side. I don't do more than 2-3 shaves per blade.

1 217
 02-11-2015, 06:39 PM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 01:53 PM)Johnus Wrote: My go to blades have been the Derbys . But ... I only use them once and then binned.

+ 1 for Derbys but I can get more than one shave from them....

3 117
 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Astras are a good choice for all around use. The Dorco ST301s(not the 300s) mentioned earlier are a favorite when I want mild and smooth.

2 1,683
 02-15-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
I revisit blades often and often find that certain blades are better under certain circumstances. There are ~12 different blades I have at least 100 of and a few more that I have at least 20 of. 

Some days after using MWF for a while Personna reds are nice, others voskhods are nice. I love polsilvers in slants, hate them in OC Gillettes. 

I really love my Voskhod/New LC combo and Polsilver/ATT S1. For days when my skin is really not agreeing with me Personna Reds in my Weber. 

4 146
 02-17-2015, 05:13 AM
User Info
Dorco, Astra... and maybe Triton (great cut but not agressive)

2 125
 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
All these work well in an EJ DE89 razor... Very forgiving and DFS shaves!

Astra SP
GSB
Rapira Platimun Lux
Rapira Swedish Super Steel

8 72