01-26-2015, 01:42 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have been wondering for awhile why shaving soaps with olive oil are generally considered undesirable.  Is it possible for a shaving soap to contain saponified olive oil and be a good soap?  I accidentally answered my own question by purchasing three pucks of Calani, one of which is the olivate-containing Classic Havana.  The other two, as well as virtually all of the other Calani offerings do not contain olivate. 

Whereas most other artisans keep their soap bases the same and merely modify the fragrance oil content, Calani actually uses more than one basic soap recipe.  Therefore, I bought the Havana thinking it would be essentially the same as the other Calani's I have but t'was not to be.

Ingredient list: Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Olivate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Olivate, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palmate, Sodium Almondate, Sodium Shea Butterate, Sodium Castorate, Parfum, Potassium Almondate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Potassium Castorate, Kaolin, Alcohol, Hydrolized Silk, Xanthan Gum, Citral, Eugenol, Hydroxycitronellal, Coumarin, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.

Cutting to the chase, it provided a superb shave - smooth, protective and excellent beard hydration.  Too bad they are so darn expensive, but with  five pucks of it and the other 45 soaps I use,  I doubt I will be ordering again.  But for those with the $$$ and patience for the 3-week delivery time it is well worth it.  It helps if you speak German or are comfortable with the Google Translator App. I used the app.

1 795
 01-26-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
i never tried the classic havana, but i use calani exclusively, the ones with sheep milk and lanolin. it's odd that you find them on the expensive side - i think of calani as very reasonably priced - maybe it's because i live in norway and the postage comes to about 10 usd for 4 soaps.

7 1,624
 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
You are correct on the expense part.  It is more, but not that much more than most soaps I use.  I was swayed by the 65 gram puck size.

And while I am on the subject, I would like to point out that Calani shaving soaps are so good that I automatically assumed they were tallow-based  soaps, but they are not.  Truly an exceptional product.

1 795
 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
User Info
Yeah, it's definitely not the presence of olive oil, but how much of the formula it makes up.

Olive oil soap tends to make a very low volume, slippery, almost slimy lather. Good for the skin, though. So as long as it's not such a high percentage that it kills your lather's stability, there are definitely ways that it could benefit.

The main fatty acid in olive oil, oleic acid, is present in tallow, and shea & kokum butters. It's definitely good stuff.

10 1,858