01-26-2015, 06:46 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Hey guys i recently got a weber head from a purchase and it seems that that the weber head post that screws into the handle doesnt seem to want to catch until the last few turns. Is there a reason behind this? Is the weber head post too small? 

I tried with a different standard head (muhle/ej), and the head post of another razor head couldnt go into the post hole of the handle unless i screwed it in (threads immediately caught), whereas the weber, i could slide the post into the post-hole quite a bit until the threads caught. The weber head also wouldnt catch AT ALL on the muhle/ej handle. The seller said that when he tried it, the threads caught immediately, would something have happened during transit? The threads on the headpost are fine, not destroyed just to point it out.

What do you guys think? Any solutions?

19 196
 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(01-26-2015, 06:46 PM)tti Wrote: Hey guys i recently got a weber head from a purchase and it seems that that the weber head post that screws into the handle doesnt seem to want to catch until the last few turns. Is there a reason behind this? Is the weber head post too small? 

I tried with a different standard head (muhle/ej), and the head post of another razor head couldnt go into the post hole of the handle unless i screwed it in (threads immediately caught), whereas the weber, i could slide the post into the post-hole quite a bit until the threads caught. The weber head also wouldnt catch AT ALL on the muhle/ej handle. The seller said that when he tried it, the threads caught immediately, would something have happened during transit? The threads on the headpost are fine, not destroyed just to point it out.

What do you guys think? Any solutions?

If you bought it from Weber just return it....However if it catches and tightens firmly it is those last threads that matter...just hold the top plate and bottom plate together and tighten normally..don,t ever force it just tighten till it all comes together without any play....to be sure put a few drops of oil on the threads and post with a q-tip.

6 1,994
 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
but if only the last few threads catch, what happens if over time that 1 turn of the thread wears out and no longer catch? then it becomes a useless head (it seems that the point where the head is secured to the point where u can slide the entire head post OUT of the handle is 1/2 a turn~)

19 196
 01-26-2015, 09:28 PM
User Info
Something sounds off with the razor head if you only need 1/2 turn to remove it from your handle. It shouldn't be that way! 
It could have a slight defect with the centre post. Do all of your handles have this issue with the Weber head and do you have the same problem with the Weber Bulldog handle where it only takes 1/2 turn to secure it to the head?
If this is the case, then you have a problem, I believe. 

82 21,056
 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM
User Info
i have owned a total of 4 (between me and my wife) weber's and one thing i have to say is they ALL have had very very loose fitting handles on the threads. like you could wobble the handle all over till you snugged it up. this has been the case with all 4 i have had in hand and im guessing its normal for them. i also did not buy any of them at the same time nor did i get all of them directly from weber.

16 660
 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Interesting, has anyone found solutions? Or just live with it? Also does the head post seem to be a tad short for a razorhead?

19 196
 01-27-2015, 09:39 PM
User Info
(01-27-2015, 09:05 AM)mastershake Wrote: i have owned a total of 4 (between me and my wife) weber's and one thing i have to say is they ALL have had very very loose fitting handles on the threads. like you could wobble the handle all over till you snugged it up. this has been the case with all 4 i have had in hand and im guessing its normal for them. i also did not buy any of them at the same time nor did i get all of them directly from weber.

I have the same issues with mine, but nothing as severe as the OP's stated problem! 

The looseness with the centre post has never caused any concern as the razors work extremely well. 

82 21,056
 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-27-2015, 09:39 PM)celestino Wrote: I have the same issues with mine, but nothing as severe as the OP's stated problem! 

The looseness with the centre post has never caused any concern as the razors work extremely well.

Hi Celestino

I thought I had the following information stored away somewhere... but I can't find it (at least at this time). Therefore going from memory, I am about 90% sure I have the following correct... Found it, tucked away in email correspondence with Ed Weber back at the very beginning of 2012. The below is 100% correct (assuming what Ed told me was true, and I have zero reason not to believe him).

The threaded stud post on the Weber DLC head (not sure about the other Weber heads) is imperial eg 10/32 threads. As is the thread cut into *original* Weber classic handle.

Nearly all modern razor handles these days are metric threaded eg M5 x 0.8

A metric threaded handle will screw into a razor headed with either an imperial or metric threaded stud post, but when connecting into an imperial threaded stud post there will be a little bit of play until the final turn or two.

An imperial threaded handle will only screw into a razor head with an imperial threaded stud post eg My *original* Weber classic handle will not screw into any razor head (ATT S2, Edwin Jagger, Merkur, MÜHLE, Tradere, etc) I have that has a metric threaded stud post.

Regarding the "OP's stated problem", to me (without seeing it), it sounds like the thread post on the Weber head has somehow been damaged, as there certainly shouldn't be so much play...

Take care, Mike

Edit: See strike-through text and (new) text that immeadately follows it.

23 1,872
 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Looking at the head post, the threads do not appear to be damaged. So i guess the weber head is differently threaded? What handle would work best ... just the weber handle? and what is *original* Weber classic handle? Has Ed changed the threading on the handles?

19 196
 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-28-2015, 12:35 PM)tti Wrote: Looking at the head post, the threads do not appear to be damaged. So i guess the weber head is differently threaded? What handle would work best ... just the weber handle?

Hi

I believe that to be the case, at least for the Weber DLC head (refer to the above).

In all honesty and just as Celestino has already stated, pretty much any handle should work well with the Weber (DLC) head. When I occasionally use my Weber DLC head, I use whatever handle I fancy using at that time, and experience no real problems ie Too much play while assembling the razor.

Sorry I can't be of any more help...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Was just wondering what would be the handle that would work best with the weber dlc head (not only catch on last turn or so), you seem to say the "original" weber classic handle does....was wondering what u meant by "original" because you put emphasis on it

19 196
 01-28-2015, 07:14 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(01-28-2015, 05:27 PM)tti Wrote: Was just wondering what would be the handle that would work best with the weber dlc head (not only catch on last turn or so), you seem to say the "original" weber classic handle does....was wondering what u meant by "original" because you put emphasis on it

The one that WEBER sells and comes with the razor...or one WEBER sells on their site...made by WEBER for WEBER products....

6 1,994
 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
The two Weber razors that are sold on the site, the Bulldog and the Classic handle, and when it was sold, the Wave handle.
I have used a variety of handles on my Weber heads and they have all worked and I have never experienced the issue you are stating where the head only tightens with the last 1/2 turn.

82 21,056
 01-29-2015, 10:43 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-28-2015, 05:27 PM)tti Wrote: Was just wondering what would be the handle that would work best with the weber dlc head (not only catch on last turn or so), you seem to say the "original" weber classic handle does....was wondering what u meant by "original" because you put emphasis on it

Hi

By *original* Weber classic handle I meant the Classic handle that was originally sold with the Weber DLC head (back in the day, pre 2012).

That handle was tapped in imperial units (10/32).

Then sometime in early 2012 when Weber started selling just the Weber classic handle, they redesigned the outside (appearance) of it a little bit, plus tapped the handle in metric units (M5 x 0.8).

From that same time (early 2012) onwards, all Weber heads and handles began to be (are still) tapped/threaded in metric units (M5 x 0.8) eg
  • All Weber Bulldog handles are tapped in metric units.
  • All Weber Wave handles are tapped in metric units.
  • Any Weber Classic handle produced since early 2012 are tapped in metric units.
  • All *original* Weber classic handles (pre 2012) are tapped in imperial units.
Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
well damn, finding a pre2012 weber classic handle will be quite hard lol

19 196
 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Just got an email back from Ed @ weber , and he said that the threading is the same for ARC/DLC/PH.... quite confused now

19 196
 01-30-2015, 02:47 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-29-2015, 10:43 AM)mikeperry Wrote: From that same time (early 2012) onwards, all Weber heads and handles began to be (are still) tapped/threaded in metric units (M5 x 0.8) eg...

(01-30-2015, 08:06 AM)tti Wrote: Just got an email back from Ed @ weber , and he said that the threading is the same for ARC/DLC/PH.... quite confused now

Hi

Why quite confused now? Hasn't Ed just confirmed what I wrote above, and I *only* wrote (shared) that, due to the email correspondence I had with Ed back in early 2012...

Further example:
  • All Weber ARC heads are tapped in metric units (produced since early 2012).
  • All Weber PH heads are tapped in metric units (produced since early 2012).
  • Any Weber DLC head produced since early 2012 are tapped in metric units.
  • All *original* Weber DLC heads (pre 2012) are tapped in imperial units.
Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-30-2015, 05:34 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
ah i see, thanks i see what you mean now
thanks again, i guess the search starts for a pre2012 weber handle

19 196
 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I've been intending to check my "brand new" Weber ever since this thread started.

Well, I just checked.  I'm currently using the Weber, and after just cranking it about half to 3/4 turn, the handle does get really loose; however the threads are still caught.  As a matter of fact they catch (meaning the handle can't be pulled off the head) from the first turn of the handle.  All that being said, like everyone has stated, the last turn tightens the head and holds it without any issues whatsoever.  Matter of fact, I don't think I really even thought about it at all until this thread.

I've enjoyed my razor so much I don't even really care about any of my other razors anymore.  In fact, I'm thinking of a back up head or if I get really lucky, a DLC head.

18 1,186
 01-30-2015, 09:06 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-30-2015, 05:34 PM)tti Wrote: ah i see, thanks i see what you mean now
thanks again, i guess the search starts for a pre2012 weber handle

Hi

No worries...

If you would like to check if an *original* Weber classic handle fixes the problem you have with your Weber head, send me your postal address via PM and I will send you my *original* Weber classic handle to try out.

If you decide to take me up on my offer, then discover the *original* Weber classic handle fixes the problem... I'm sure we could work something out, where you get to keep it.

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed my poor grammar.

23 1,872