01-26-2015, 09:03 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
With our first baby on the way, I have been tasked with doing a lot (most) of the cooking. We both love broccoli and at the moment her favourite prep is to steam it. 

This is my favourite way that we make it. 

15 Min
Cook Time:
15 Min

Ingredients
·         2 heads fresh broccoli
·         1 red onion
·         1/2 pound bacon
·         3/4 cup raisins
·         3/4 cup sliced almonds
·         1 cup mayonnaise
·         1/2 cup white sugar
·         2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Directions
1.     Place bacon in a deep skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Cool and crumble.
2.     Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and cut the onion into thin bite-size slices. Combine with the bacon, raisins, your favorite nuts and mix well.
3.     To prepare the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth. Stir into the salad, let chill and serve.

I would love to hear your favourite recipes. 
Thank you in advance.

28 1,620
 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Jim, I posted this in another thread here in "What's Cooking?" :

[Image: BXHd1aN.png]

2 11,211
 01-26-2015, 09:37 PM
  • jamesrobson5
User Info
Freddy, that sounds delicious! I am looking forward to trying this one out. Thank you. Biggrin

28 1,620
 01-26-2015, 09:45 PM
User Info
I absolutely love broccoli.

I do it very simply with a topping that can be used for many veggies. I make a mess of the topping at once and use what I need from the container.

The topping is simple fried bread crumbs in butter or olive oil. They don't need to be dripping, and go slow with the toasting of them in the pan. You don't want burnt bread crumbs.

I lightly steam the broccoli, drain and allow a minute for it to dry, then spoon on as much of the hot topping as you want. Of course the broccoli should be lightly salted and the crumbs can be flavored.

Store the unused fried brad crumbs in a closed container in the refrigerator, they keep a very long time. To reuse, just warm them up in a pan, no real need to refry them, and use as if they were fresh.

32 6,445
 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-26-2015, 09:37 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: Freddy, that sounds delicious! I am looking forward to trying this one out. Thank you. Biggrin

I really like it, Jim.  If you do make it, I'll be curious to know your thoughts, good or bad.

(01-26-2015, 09:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I absolutely love broccoli.

I do it very simply with a topping that can be used for many veggies. I make a mess of the topping at once and use what I need from the container.

The topping is simple fried bread crumbs in butter or olive oil. They don't need to be dripping, and go slow with the toasting of them in the pan. You don't want burnt bread crumbs.

I lightly steam the broccoli, drain and allow a minute for it to dry, then spoon on as much of the hot topping as you want. Of course the broccoli should be lightly salted and the crumbs can be flavored.

Store the unused fried brad crumbs in a closed container in the refrigerator, they keep a very long time. To reuse, just warm them up in a pan, no real need to refry them, and use as if they were fresh.

Brian, that sounds both good and easy (my kind of cooking).  Like you, I love broccoli.  In fact it was my veggie with tonight's dinner.  I never understood why some people absolutely detest it.  Then I read somewhere that in some people their taste receptors register broccoli as quite bitter.  When it's fresh, I've always found it sweet and delicious and even enjoy it cut up fine and eaten raw in a salad or with a dip.  I'm glad I'm not one of those folks with bum receptors. Biggrin

2 11,211
 01-27-2015, 10:12 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-26-2015, 09:59 PM)freddy Wrote: I never understood why some people absolutely detest it.  Then I read somewhere that in some people their taste receptors register broccoli as quite bitter.  When it's fresh, I've always found it sweet and delicious and even enjoy it cut up fine and eaten raw in a salad or with a dip.  I'm glad I'm not one of those folks with bum receptors. Biggrin

Hey! now Freddy, I resemble those remarks Confused

As far as I am concerned, broccoli is the vegetable of the devil Firedevil

The wife and Alpha are are like the other crazy people is this thread, they LOVE! broccoli Hambre

23 1,872
 01-27-2015, 03:16 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-27-2015, 10:12 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 09:59 PM)freddy Wrote: I never understood why some people absolutely detest it.  Then I read somewhere that in some people their taste receptors register broccoli as quite bitter.  When it's fresh, I've always found it sweet and delicious and even enjoy it cut up fine and eaten raw in a salad or with a dip.  I'm glad I'm not one of those folks with bum receptors. Biggrin

Hey! now Freddy, I resemble those remarks Confused

As far as I am concerned, broccoli is the vegetable of the devil Firedevil

The wife and Alpha are are like the other crazy people is this thread, they LOVE! broccoli Hambre

Try homemade cream of broccoli soup and then tell me you don't like broccoli. Biggrin

2 11,211
 01-27-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
Right out of the garden is so sweet. Raw, steamed, sautéed, and soup as freddy said. Yummy

2 226
 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM
  • jamesrobson5
User Info
Mike, try my broccoli salad, it just may convert you.  Biggrin

Freddy, I will see about trying your baked broccoli this weekend. I am looking forward to it. 

28 1,620
 01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-27-2015, 05:36 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: Mike, try my broccoli salad, it just may convert you.  Biggrin

Freddy, I will see about trying your baked broccoli this weekend. I am looking forward to it. 

If you do, Jim, I hope you like it.  Everyone else I have given the recipe to seems to have enjoyed it and many have made it more than once.  

2 11,211
 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Sorry gents, you can can dress it up all you want, broccoli to me is the vegetable of the devil. Pure and simple.

As a kid, mum and dad grew it in the garden (and on the allotment) and I *never* liked it then -- rest of the family loved it.

Now in married life, the wife has tried god knows how many times to get me to eat it (it is her favourite vegetable) without success.

I simply find everything about its taste to be revolting...

23 1,872
 01-28-2015, 02:29 PM
User Info
Mike I can sort of understand. My veggie from hell is Rutabaga. I love it raw because it's peppery and tasty, but cook it and you can't disguise it enough for my tastebuds. It's bitter and not at all worth eating. I bet we all have our individual veggies from hell.

:-) For me Thanksgiving Day was the day I had to eat a tablespoon of cooked turnip and I gave thanks that I wouldn't need to eat it for another year. I still enjoy it raw and detest it cooked.

32 6,445