01-26-2015, 09:30 PM
User Info
Hello guys,
Ok I am new to wet shaving.. 3 months now. I read this earlier and could not find the thread again but maybe someone can enlighten me. I try every shave to get a BBS shave. I use good equipment and good cream, I follow all the recommended steps and try to have a good technique( it's all trial and error though) that being said I have sensitive skin and out of my four day work week on day 3-4 I get irritation on my neck and below the jaw.... I read that every shave should not be a BBS shave.... ( confused) can you all offer some thoughts??

Red

20 1,352
 01-26-2015, 09:51 PM
User Info
In my view, the #1 criteria is comfort, the #2 criteria criteria is the admittedly terrific feeling of BBS. I strive for #1, #2 happens  once in awhile but not every day (although I, like you, strive for it).  My rationale is that if shaving is not comfortable, a guy will drop it. That would be unfortunate and counterproductive. just one man's opinion.

16 350
 01-26-2015, 09:53 PM
User Info
I get a BBS every day, but technique has to be perfect and I don't strive for it, it happens as a byproduct of technique.

We need more info on exactly how you're shaving, # of passes etc.

Have you found "your blade" by getting a blade sampler? What gear are you using? We need info.

How is your lather? Using no pressure on the razor? However much pressure your using, use half, then do that again, and again. The maybe you'll have no pressure.

There's so much that can cause this, but we really have nothing to work with other than your desire to not have it happen. I agree, it shouldn't happen.

I'm not trying to be a wise a$$, but we really need data.

32 6,460
 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
User Info
Your right that was vague....

Two passes, first wtg, second above the jaw cross grain, BBS, below the jaw against the grain, typically I get the best result and it leaves the skin alone enough not to get too irritated.

Lather, I use MdC, Antica Barbiera Colla and Xpex. Face lather until I get self standing peaks.

Yes on the sample pack and I use Kai blades. Works best for me.

Razor: Above the Tie Atlas R1 and Ikon open comb DLC

Regarding pressure I don't believe I'm using much but I'll back it off a see.

Red

20 1,352
 01-27-2015, 12:32 AM
User Info
Red, the reason I suggested pressure was that if someone comes to blade shaving from either cartridges or an electric they typically use far too much pressure. Then when we tell them "no pressure" it means one thing to us and another thing to them. Since I was guessing it was an easy first guess.

Nothing jumps out at me as being a problem from your description. I know nothing of Xpec, but the other 2 are great soaps.

I tell folks that if they can see the skin deforming under the blade and razor it's too much pressure. It's expected to see the skin deform as the razor pulls as it's cutting the whiskers. But the skin shouldn't be pressed inward much at all.

Maybe someone else has some input for you.

The other thing you could try is a Single Edge safety Razor (SE). The blade is far more stable and much easier on the skin. They are available in both vintage and modern flavors. I'm not aware that either vintage or modern will give a better shave over the other. They're both spectacular razors.

If you'd like to try some vintage SE razors I can send you a few loaners. PM me.

32 6,460
 01-27-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
With time you'll catch almost all hair with two passes.  If you make too many passes you will pay for it.  I give me face a rest with two passes.  

2 58
 01-27-2015, 10:59 AM
User Info
My beard is too coarse and multi-directional, so I can't ever get a BBS and never try for one, now. I really believe a great, close shave is severely underestimated as we don't all have light and thin beards. Biggrin
I would recommend that you not try for a BBS shave and just get a comfortable shave if you want to shave, every day!
Wait until your have refined your technique before you try for a BBS shave, every day. Good luck.

83 21,081
 01-27-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
(01-27-2015, 10:59 AM)celestino Wrote: My beard is too coarse and multi-directional, so I can't ever get a BBS and never try for one, now. I really believe a great, close shave is severely underestimated as we don't all have light and thin beards. Biggrin
I would recommend that you not try for a BBS shave and just get a comfortable shave if you want to shave, every day!
Wait until your have refined your technique before you try for a BBS shave, every day. Good luck.

I concur whole heartedly.  The BBS will come as you perfect your technique and  product selection  .  but i would say technique first and foremost. if you try for BBS every day, your face will be sore . as long as it's comfortable you are good to go, in my humble opinion.

0 189
 01-27-2015, 12:25 PM
User Info
Thank as always for the input and I can gather that my technique is the weak leak here.. Not having a personal shaving assistant to guide me I've been left to my own devices ? I'm getting closer I think. Today was my day 3 in a row shave, it's BBS and no noticeable irritation.. Good thing is I'm to stubborn to give up on this pursuit....

Take care,

Red

(01-27-2015, 10:59 AM)celestino Wrote: My beard is too coarse and multi-directional, so I can't ever get a BBS and never try for one, now. I really believe a great, close shave is severely underestimated as we don't all have light and thin beards. Biggrin

20 1,352
 01-27-2015, 01:13 PM
User Info
good deal,red.  if you do get irritation you might try a little baby oil. works for me.

0 189
 02-01-2015, 04:44 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
A BBS shave is dependent on 3 factors; your skin and beard, equipment and technique.  The most important is skin and beard.  Your goal isn't BBS every shave, it is to get the best shave possible given your skin and beard, and comfort is a big part of the definition of "best shave possible."  Shaving is an exercise in perfecting what works best for you and not one of chasing after someone else's results.

19 566
 02-01-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
The goal of a shave for me is comfort first and closeness second.

As far as I'm concerned, if you remove a 'B' from BBS, the remaining letters describe it properly.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

37 1,743
 02-01-2015, 07:46 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I have a fairly light and thin beard, except on my chin and moustache area. I do two passes, and that's it, BBS or not. On day three and four, I would try to do something different, such as more prep on your problem areas. Using a hot wash clothe over my chin and upper lip for 1 - 2 minutes at the end of my shower makes a huge difference in shaving these areas, as the whiskers are softer and much easier to cut, and less need for any pressure. I use a straight razor, and using the slickest soap I can find has helped eliminate any irritation on my lower neck, which used to be an issue. I guess I'm saying, focus on your prep to soften the beard, use a pre-shave oil if you find it useful (I don't), use a soap with good cushion and slickness, and NO PRESSURE, especially on those problem areas. Instead of trying for a BBS shave with every shave, why don't you first try for a week of no irritation. Once you can do that, then up the ante a little, toward your goal of a BBS shave. 

38 5,113
 02-02-2015, 08:44 AM
User Info
I also have found that 2 passes is the max, or I will suffer from neck irritation.

For me, the closeness with those 2 passes is all about efficient / smooth razors & sharp / smooth blades. YMMV is king with the razors and blades.

Agree on NO pressure.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 02-02-2015, 09:40 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(01-27-2015, 10:59 AM)celestino Wrote: My beard is too coarse and multi-directional, so I can't ever get a BBS and never try for one, now. I really believe a great, close shave is severely underestimated as we don't all have light and thin beards.

+1

Good technique can help - but I find that there is a trade off between closeness, comfort & speed

17 535
 02-02-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
(01-26-2015, 09:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I get a BBS every day, but technique has to be perfect and I don't strive for it, it happens as a byproduct of technique.

We need more info on exactly how you're shaving, # of passes etc.

Have you found "your blade" by getting a blade sampler? What gear are you using? We need info.

How is your lather? Using no pressure on the razor? However much pressure your using, use half, then do that again, and again. The maybe you'll have no pressure.

There's so much that can cause this, but we really have nothing to work with other than your desire to not have it happen. I agree, it shouldn't happen.

I'm not trying to be a wise a$$, but we really need data.

+1

39 3,920
 02-02-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
Agreed with all the advice here.

Best possible shave for me is looking clean (no visible stubble) on my face and if my neck is not red and irritated then I'm a happy man.

BBS above the jaw is usually no problem with 2 passes.  On my neck BBS is impossible.

0 33
 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've found that I have, and this was later substantiated by my old barber who would give me a straight now and then, that I have a denser than average beard, just, but also my whiskers themselves are softer than average. So he called pronounced them  evened out and told me to go with an "average" description. I get BBS results 9 out of 10

7 2,328
 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-02-2015, 11:53 AM)Mouser Wrote: I've found that I have, and this was later substantiated by my old barber who would give me a straight now and then, that I have a denser than average beard, just, but also my whiskers themselves are softer than average. So he, my barber, pronounced that they  evened out and told me to go with an "average" description. I get BBS results 9 out of 10

7 2,328
 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
Great advice guys.

1 1,975