01-26-2015, 10:14 PM
User Info
I wonder what kind of brushes everyone here on the Nook owns and what your personal favorites are ?

Personally I have downsized my collection quite a bit over the last 8-10 months, so I'm now down to only owning one of each brush in a given subcategory, for instance I recently sold my Simpson Chubby 2 in faux Ivory to Grant, and now only have my Chubby 2 2-band in Jade left.

I did also sell the most unique and expensive brush in my collection to Merkurman, because he simply gave me an offer I could not in any way refuse. It was my old stock M&F Finest 2-band 29 mm 2 ½ XL brush, a brush so densely packed it makes my Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian and 2-Band look and feel like ordinary packed brushes, not kidding you.

However I feel I now have kept what I call the PRIME BRUSHES, and I also recently added a Vie Long Lord Randall Silvertip faux horn and 4 Semogue boars to my collection.

The status of my collection is that I now own 33 badger hair brushes, all what I consider my personal favorites, 4 boar hair brushes (still need to break them in) and one 'soul less' toy synthetic (used for traveling only)

At one stage I believed synthetic would be taking over my brush den, but I have since then on and off slowly but steadily come to the conclusion, that I don't enjoy the feeling I get from them. They feel soul less and like toys to me. An extreme is the Plisson, which feel so cloud like soft, I almost can't feel it's a shaving brush - and my girlfriend says it's a fantastic make up brush.

But I will be closely following how the synthetics evolve, and buy and sell them endlessly, just to be sure they still can not in any way touch the sensation and feel of a natural haired brush.

My upcoming brush purchases in 2015 will most likely be a Shavemav 2-Band Silvertip (not the old 2-band D01), in bulb shape - probably going for these specs:
Bulb, 26 mm knot, 50 mm loft and a nice 48 mm tall and stout handle in a fancy color, perhaps some kind of blue marble or black & white stripes.......
I already own 8 custom made Shavemacs, sold 5 or 6, so I have a good idea of what I want ;-)

Maybe also looking to get a Saville Row in 26 mm knit size, only own the 3124 from them. Great brushes, at affordable prices. Still haven't figured out if they get their hair from Shavemac or Vulfix.........I guess it's Shavemac Silvertip 3-band extra densely packed........not sure though.

I hope Semogue releases a special edition boar and badger with a more stout handle than the Mistura in 2015. I will be all over them if this happens.

I might add a Thäter 2-band 25 mm with the rounder handle in black to my collection, if I can get it extra packed. I'm in talks with a guy from Germany that may be able to get such a brush handmade at the Thäter factory in Germany.

So with these words, I wonder and would love to hear about your personal collection, your thoughts on why you have these brushes in your collection and your future purchases :-)

24 5,839
 01-27-2015, 12:37 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(01-26-2015, 10:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: So with these words, I wonder and would love to hear about your personal collection, your thoughts on why you have these brushes in your collection and your future purchases :-)

For me it's a simple world, only 3 left: Edwin Jagger STF XL - Plisson L'Occitane - Mühle silvertip fibre 25mm.

All other brushes have found good homes. Why? These 3 where getting all the attention because

-no need to soak
-very soft
-work with any soap or cream out there
-don't have to pamper them as much, you can use much hotter water to rinse them
-dry in a instant

28 1,433
 01-27-2015, 02:16 AM
User Info
my only brush - because i'm so frugal Biggrin

[Image: jDEgngR.jpg]

7 1,624
 01-27-2015, 02:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
EJ/Muhle STF XL have resulted in decimation of my badger collection .. with only a few select badger brushes remaining .. but for how long, I don't know ..

102 18,552
 01-27-2015, 02:52 AM
User Info
Well to most I have a small simple collection, but they work for me. 
1. Rooney Heritage Stubby 3 Super badger & I liked it so much I had to have another.....
2. Rooney Heritage Stubby 3 Super badger 
3. Rooney Heritage Stubby 2 Super badger
4. Thater 4125/2 Finest 2 band Silver tip badger with the off white handle
5. Thater 4125/2 Finest 2 band Silver tip badger with the black handle
6. Savile Row 3128 silver tip badger (on order)

10 399
 01-27-2015, 03:04 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have a very small collection of brushes and of the ones I have my 5 synthetics are my favourites. Then comes the Simpsons QEII Manchurian, an SOC 2 band and an Omega 10066 boar brush. 

Bob

0 1,694
 01-27-2015, 03:17 AM
User Info
Boar: 3
Badger: 2
Boar-badger mix: 1
Synth: 2
TOTAL: 8

Holding the line there...though I am tempted to get a horse.
The most I paid for any was $50.

8 896
 01-27-2015, 04:51 AM
User Info
I have around 12 but a couple more coming. 3 are synthetics, Muhle xl and Plisson. I try to keep variety in what I have. If I end up with two near duplicates, one of them will likely go. Two incoming are knots I wanted to try.I have a Shavemac two band Silvertip knot on its way and will have Peter Wolf make a handle for it when it arrives. Also on order is a Wilborg, 26 mm brush.
Currently my collection of badger brushes consists of Plisson HMW, M&F, and Kent BK8. I sold my last Simpson a few months ago   but might dive back in before long.
I still prefer a good badger over synthetic but not by much. I am amazed at how good the synthetics are at this point and likely will get even better. 
I've owned a lot of brushes and have gotten fairly anal about what I like. I keep thinking there isn't much more to try but new products like Wilborg and the new two band Silvertip from Shavemac keeps my interest going.
I've set 15 as an arbitrary limit on the number of brushes I have as I want to use what I own, not just look at them. I'm fast approaching that limit so have to choose carefully.

44 486
 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
As a face latherer who loves soft, floppy mops with absolutely zero scritch, it has been a long, narrow road finding a brush rotation I truly enjooy w/o any reservations - finally reach my goals though with the following set:

VP Leonhardy 700030 silvertip  --- surprisingly, 90% of the time this is the one I reach for
Vulfix 41 silvertip --- for those rare days when I want a touch more density
Kimson 24mm silvertip --- wonderful brush but, since I have come like really big knots, I now use this as my travel brush

3 147
 01-27-2015, 06:14 AM
User Info
I have a modest collection as well, but they serve me beautifully. It would be difficult to choose a favorite, but my 2 "Chubby" 2-Band Silvertip would be a contender.

From left to right:
1) 3 "Chubby" Manchurian

2) 2 "Chubby" 2-Band Silvertip
3) 2 "Chubby" Synthetic
4) M6 LE Manchurian 114/200
5) Semogue BC Mistura
6) Semogue 620
7) 1 "Chubby" 2-Band Super Badger
8) Simpson Wee Scot

[Image: 5b9KGo2.jpg]

39 3,868
 01-27-2015, 06:44 AM
User Info
Well that's an interesting question! I have four Simpsons ( 2 Best, 1 Super & 1 Manchurian), 1 M&F, 1 Rooney heritage and one of their standard line, 2 Shavemacs (finest & DO 2 Band) and a few TGN knots from Rudy Vey and Wolf Whiskers. Seems like too many, but I love and use them all!

9 137
 01-27-2015, 06:53 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I currently own 28 brushes:

- 10 Simpson (Colonel, Wee Scot, Tulip 2, QE II Jubilee, Duke2, Chubby1, P8 2013 TSN LE, Emperor2, Polo8, M6 2014 TSN LE)

- 2 Rooney (2/1 Finest, Heritage Emillion1)

- 3 Kent (BK4, 2008 B&B LE, Infinity Silvertex)

- 3 Shavemac (Beehive, 410, 412 Flat top)

- 1 HL Thater 4292-4H size 4

- 1 Omega B&B Boar Essential

- 2 New Forest (2213, 2402)

- 1 WSP Monarch

- 1 Orchid Isle 643

- 1 Muhle MUH 31K256 synthetic

- 1 Vie Long 13065 horse

- 1 unknown I bought in Rome

- 1 VP Leonhardy 700720 (in the mail)

I like all my brushes, but my favourites are the Thater, Shavemac Beehive and 410, Rooney Heritage Emillion1 and Simpson Colonel.

I'm currently thinking of adding a Vulfix and a Shavemac with the new 2-band Silvertip, but the depreciation of the Canadian $ currently is working against me.

5 882
 01-27-2015, 07:51 AM
User Info
While I own five brushes, I am only using two of them.  I do have an outstanding order for an Acetate Burgundy Plisson synthetic.  I ordered November 29, and it apparently got lost.  Plisson sent another one January 6, but it hasn't arrived either.  I'm beginning to wonder if it is lost as well.

In use:
Daily driver - Muhle 33K256 (synthetic)
Travel - Plisson L'Occitane Cade (synthetic)

In the drawer:
Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Semogue 830 (boar)
Omega Hi-Brush "Barber Pole" (synthetic)

1 135
 01-27-2015, 08:30 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
My rotation is down to 12. I've got a few in a drawer, that are waiting to be PIFed, but an even dozen feels just about right. What I have left doesn't really feel like a "collection". Most are just ho-hum Omegas and Semogues and Vie-Longs, that just plain work for me. It's been almost a year since "The Great Badger Purge of '14", and I think I'm going to replace 1 or 2 of them for when I'm in a badger kind of mood. Of course, the ol' acquisition syndrome could flair up again tomorrow, but for now, I'm good...........

0 272
 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
Still mainly 2-Band badgers which are my favourite along with two Chubby 2 Supers in custom handles and two EJ XL synthetics. Smile

82 21,056
 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
1 badger, 1 synthetic, 1 boar. 

But 90% of days I use the boar (Omega 48)

1 new boar (SOC) just received and being broken in. If it makes the cut - it will probably displace the badger above. Badgers are not for me.

17 535
 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I try to limit my brushes to 7 ...only because it's the traditional number cited (one for each day of the week) and keeps my spending in check. If I want a new one, I have to sell one. This strategy also allows me to keep only my favorite brushes. As of now, I own:

CH3 Manchurian Jade
CH2 best badger
M&F 3XL Finest
Thater 4125/3 2 band bulb
Thater 4125/3 3 band bulb
Thater 4125/2 2 band fan
Romera LE2 Manchurian fan 

159 1,315
 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
In Use
  • Simpson Chubby 1 Best Somerset
  • Simpson Colonel in Briar "JACK" Silvertip
  • Vintage Plisson Size 12 Faux Ivory HMW
  • M&F L7 Chef

Shelf BNIB
  • Simpson Phyl
  • Semogue BC Texugo
  • Vintage Petit Plisson Horn

• Vintage Travel Kent

Travel

• Muhle Synthetic
I need to downgrade and I dont like not to use staff and keeping on shelf

11 880
 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I am hovering around 40-50 for a few years now, give or take a few:

- Around 15 Simpson (10+ 2 Bands)
- 3 M&F (Beehive, Emilion, Stubby 3)
- 5 shavemac (3 silvertip 2 band, 2 silvertip)
- 4 Rooney (3 Old Heritage 3 Band, 1 gel tip 2 Band)
- 4 Thaeter (each fan/bulb of 2 band and 3 Band)
- 2 WSP in E7 handles (HMW 2 and 3 band)
- 2 RV AS3M handles with TGN 2 band and HMW
- 2 Vie Long (silvertip and horse)
- 3 Semogue (IB Tricolore, Mistura, 2013 LE)
- 1 VB 24mm 2 Band
- 1 VP Leonhardy
- 1 SR 3824
- 2 Wiborg White Badger

35 1,808
 01-27-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
I'm down to two brushes. The Thäter's my main brush but I use a WD for travel or if I fancy a change of pace. When one of them is past it, I'll consider delving back into synthetics, but I don't forecast a brush purchase for quite some time yet.

[Image: zsvev8.jpg]
Left: Thäter 4125/1 2-band
Right: Whipped Dog silvertip

0 143